Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/25/2013 10:56:29 AM EDT
Hey guys, my wife just got a number of shotguns and rifles from her farther's estate after he passed.

I'm trying to look up info on the model 3000 here.  It came with some fairly standard wood stocks and it seems to be around an 18" slug barrel with sights, and a longer maybe 22+" hunting barrel on it.  
I was curious if I could still find an 18 or so inch barrel for this shotgun still?  If we keep it, it will be an home defense shotgun and I'm looking at the 18 inch barrel kind of like my old' 870 clone.

I've read that the stock is interchangeable from the 870 so I'm looking at getting the pistol grip stock, but is the pump grip the same as the 870 also? I mean it removes exactly like an 870 but I'm not sure about sizes etc.

Other than the barrel and stocks etc I'm only looking for a magazine extension and maybe some way of getting rid of the chrome paddle on the bottom and the chrome firing mechanism... I don't like chrome on rifles or shotguns lol

Thanks for any info you guys can shoot my way.
Mitchell
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 11:24:59 AM EDT
[#1]

Rifled slug barrel... wasn't 18 or so it was 24 ish

Choked barrel was around 28-29 inches

Compaired to my knock-off 870 18" barrel

Just a little something extra thrown in to this one since it's a shotgun ;) .410
Link Posted: 4/25/2013 11:43:26 AM EDT
[#2]
The Howa-S&W-Mossberg Model 3000 was a close, but NOT exact copy of the Remington 870.
Howa made the Model 3000 for S&W, then when S&W dropped it, Mossberg sold it as the Model 3000 for about a year.  I think Howa sold it under their name for a very short time.

Some parts like stocks may interchange, but may need some fitting.  Most internal parts will not interchange.
I'm not sure but I don't think barrels will interchange.

Magazine extensions are going to be a tough find due to the magazine threads being different.
The only company that used to make a Howa-S&W-Mossberg 3000 extension was Choate and they no longer offer any extension that will fit.
However LSG does list 3-shot magazine extensions for 20" and longer barrels.

Finding new barrels will also be tough since the supply has dried up.  LSG does list two types, Gun Parts list several.
For parts and what accessories that are available, here's sources:

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufacturers/SmithWesson-33495/Shotguns-42028/3000-41247.htm
(Also look under the Mossberg Model 3000).

http://lsgmfg.com/

The Model 3000 was also offered as a police gun and there may be non-chrome parts available from the two sources listed above.
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 9:36:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
The Howa-S&W-Mossberg Model 3000 was a close, but NOT exact copy of the Remington 870.
Howa made the Model 3000 for S&W, then when S&W dropped it, Mossberg sold it as the Model 3000 for about a year.  I think Howa sold it under their name for a very short time.

Some parts like stocks may interchange, but may need some fitting.  Most internal parts will not interchange.
I'm not sure but I don't think barrels will interchange.

Magazine extensions are going to be a tough find due to the magazine threads being different.
The only company that used to make a Howa-S&W-Mossberg 3000 extension was Choate and they no longer offer any extension that will fit.
However LSG does list 3-shot magazine extensions for 20" and longer barrels.

Finding new barrels will also be tough since the supply has dried up.  LSG does list two types, Gun Parts list several.
For parts and what accessories that are available, here's sources:

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufacturers/SmithWesson-33495/Shotguns-42028/3000-41247.htm
(Also look under the Mossberg Model 3000).

http://lsgmfg.com/

The Model 3000 was also offered as a police gun and there may be non-chrome parts available from the two sources listed above.

Nice, I'm not sure if they still have it but LSGMFG has the 18" police in the 3" inchamber ... but it says for mossberrg... will that one work on the japan made 3000?  I figure the coating on the that barrel will be different than the one on the 3000 I got but that's fine... I'm probably gonna duracoat the whole damn thing anyway.  I gotta call to see if their bolt thing and the shell carrier they sell is in black or chrome... if not wonder if I can paint the ones I got?
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 11:08:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Assuming you can find parts (and that's big if) you're going to end up with more money in this project than a new 870 would cost.  I'd just leave it as it is.
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 11:55:02 AM EDT
[#5]
All the Howa Model 3000 guns were actually made in Japan and are all the same, other then the name stamped on them.  Neither S&W or Mossberg actually made the gun, they just imported and sold them.

A Mossberg marked barrel MAY be a new made barrel.  The Model 3000 is a close copy of the Remington 870 and Mossberg does make barrels that are made to fit the 870.
Possibly the Model 3000 and Mossberg made 870 type barrel are close enough that they'll fit.
If LSG is selling them, they'll work.

Some of the police Model 3000 guns were parkerized some blued, so you'll have to ask whether a barrel is blued or parked.

Paint type gun coatings just don't adhere well to chrome or nickel plated parts.  The "slick" coating prevents good adhesion.

One way to deal with that would be to bead blast the plating off.  This would remove "most" of the plating, and give the parts a "tooth" that the gun coating adhere to very well.
While bead blasting will remove enough of the plating for a gun coating, it won't work for a chemical finish like bluing or Parkerizing.  
Some of the plating will still be in the pores of the metal and a chemical finish will come out with white "freckles" on it.  This will be the plating that wasn't removed.

If you're going to use a gun coat, bead blasting will give better adhesion and durability.  However, if the existing blue is good, I'd consider not removing it and applying the coat over the blue.

Link Posted: 4/26/2013 2:43:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Assuming you can find parts (and that's big if) you're going to end up with more money in this project than a new 870 would cost.  I'd just leave it as it is.

i dont know where your finding 870 at since round here they are 700+ ... the barrels seem to be around 90-100 so not bad.
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 2:48:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
All the Howa Model 3000 guns were actually made in Japan and are all the same, other then the name stamped on them.  Neither S&W or Mossberg actually made the gun, they just imported and sold them.

A Mossberg marked barrel MAY be a new made barrel.  The Model 3000 is a close copy of the Remington 870 and Mossberg does make barrels that are made to fit the 870.
Possibly the Model 3000 and Mossberg made 870 type barrel are close enough that they'll fit.
If LSG is selling them, they'll work.

Some of the police Model 3000 guns were parkerized some blued, so you'll have to ask whether a barrel is blued or parked.

Paint type gun coatings just don't adhere well to chrome or nickel plated parts.  The "slick" coating prevents good adhesion.

One way to deal with that would be to bead blast the plating off.  This would remove "most" of the plating, and give the parts a "tooth" that the gun coating adhere to very well.
While bead blasting will remove enough of the plating for a gun coating, it won't work for a chemical finish like bluing or Parkerizing.  
Some of the plating will still be in the pores of the metal and a chemical finish will come out with white "freckles" on it.  This will be the plating that wasn't removed.

If you're going to use a gun coat, bead blasting will give better adhesion and durability.  However, if the existing blue is good, I'd consider not removing it and applying the coat over the blue.

thanks for the info! it got a really smooth coating on it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top