Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/16/2009 6:29:48 PM EDT
Not the remington top folder......

I got out of shotguns, but recent had a wild hair again.

I bought a NEF pardner protector, or whatever the 870 clone is. It seems like a great gun, and I want to keep it with a full stock, etc.....

I just picked up a Mossberg Tactical cruiser (?) the model with pistol grip and breecher barrel. I like it, but it sucks to actually shoot. I bought it intending to add a stock. Most likely a speedfeed stock.

As I play with it, I do sure like the short overall length.

Any good folders out there? I was even thinking of a setup like the Mesa, with an Ace folding adaptor and a decent AR style stock.

I don't think I have seen anyone do this? MAybe there is a reason, besides the approximate $200 added cost to do it.

Input?

I am not trying to make some super tactical ahotgun, I would just like something to fit in a short case and be comfortable to shooot.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:58:25 PM EDT
[#1]
It would be nice if a company reproduced the 870 top folder or made the cheap plastic top folder in metal.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 8:27:33 PM EDT
[#2]
I am not trying to make some super tactical ahotgun, I would just like
something to fit in a short case and be comfortable to shoot.

^^  This part here.  ^^

Quoted:

It would be nice if a company reproduced the 870 top folder or made the cheap plastic top folder in metal.
I've got the Choate top folder on my 870.  It's ok for small storage and works to shoot.  But it's not impressive.  I'd prefer the Rem original folder if I stick with a folder.
I'm on the verge of looking for the adapter to graft an M4 AR buffer tube stock onto it, or even a full sized pistol grip shoulder stock for a 2nd build for home use.

I used to be able to comfortably shoot my Winchester Defender folder like a pistol, but that was when I knew it all and well before I turned 50.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 7:12:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Not an exact repro, but it is really close.  I've seen one in person, and while not as high
quality as the factory remington, it is miles ahead of that garbage by ATI.  It says it fits a
Mossberg 500 and others, so I don't know about an 870.

scroll about halfway down.  $49.99 MSRP
http://www.tristarsportingarms.com/product_cobra.html

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:02:42 AM EDT
[#4]
I just bought the Blackhawk/Knoxx specops folder. It should show up tomorrow from ups. Picked it up on Ebay for $90 shipped.
I wanted the Sage but they are going for $175 used on ebay or $140 plus shipping for new-but the wait is 3+ months. I  need for a folder due to my storage limitations but didnt want to spend the $$ on a POS. I thought the knoxx fit the bill with the recoil reduction using it as a pistol grip only as well as having a metal folder with a little padding as a secondary option. This 870 will (hopefully) never be shot much, it is a house gun only.
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 8:13:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not an exact repro, but it is really close.  I've seen one in person, and while not as high
quality as the factory remington, it is miles ahead of that garbage by ATI.  It says it fits a
Mossberg 500 and others, so I don't know about an 870.

scroll about halfway down.  $49.99 MSRP
http://www.tristarsportingarms.com/product_cobra.html

Although some what funky....it doesn't look bad. I wonder how nice of a cheek bite it gives you?

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 1:24:54 PM EDT
[#6]
How short are you trying for?
Have you looked at the M4 style stock they make for the 870?

PITA45
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 1:49:15 PM EDT
[#7]
sage stock...
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 3:53:17 PM EDT
[#8]
I had an M4 stock with a Mesa unit on an 870....I actually built it all up new, then sold it to a buddy tight away because I lost interest....never even shot it. I know...stupid.

The funny thing is, the other shotgun I set up and sold at the same time has a sage stock on it.

Never fired either of them.

The Sage seems like a very well built stock, and so damn heavy duty, you could jack your car up with it...but it just gave a shitty check rest.

I had no bad things to say about the Mesa setup......

In my mind, what would be ideal for me would be to do the Mesa unit (or one of the others that are out now and similar) with a M4 style collapsable stock )OR a entry length solid stock...remember those) with an ACE folding mechanism.

MAybe that would get too weird, but that seems to be a good idea to me.....anyone try this?
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 4:00:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Or............their skeleton stock and a mesa adapter?

They make a shorter one too, incase all the parts added up make it too long.

Link Posted: 9/17/2009 5:37:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Go with that skeleton stock above, that should feel/look real nice.  You could also go with the Knoxx top folding wire stock and dip the butt in some liquid rubber a couple times to cushion the recoil.  You can find the rubber at your local hardware store.

You may already know this, but when shooting a pistol grip shotty the best way to do it is with low recoil shells and while shooting push the forend away while pulling the pistol grip towards you.  Trust me...it makes it much better.
Link Posted: 9/18/2009 5:17:48 AM EDT
[#11]
The Remington top folders are neat. Unfortunately the bakelite pistol grips fail with age. So I would not buy one of the factory units.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 12:07:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
when shooting a pistol grip shotty the best way to do it is with low recoil shells and while shooting push the forend away while pulling the pistol grip towards you.  Trust me...it makes it much better.

+1

Your wrist will thank you!
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 11:23:14 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
when shooting a pistol grip shotty the best way to do it is with low recoil shells and while shooting push the forend away while pulling the pistol grip towards you.  Trust me...it makes it much better.

+1

I will try this technique today......thank you both.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 1:17:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

I will try this technique today......thank you both.

Good call
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 3:17:49 PM EDT
[#15]
The little Mossberg was much nicer to shoot this way......I just need to decide If I want to keep it this way, since (to me) it isn't overlly practical in this configuration.

Another thought I had, was if I could modify one of the M4 style stock adapters to still use the pistol grip, but have the buffer tube assembly and stock be quick detachable. My main want it to have it to go in a shorter case, still be able to use it as a pistol grip shot cruiser style, but if I want, I can pop the stock assembly on the rear of the unit and be good to go. Keep the stock assembly in a pocket of the case.

I think I have a good idea here........
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top