Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/13/2009 4:01:39 PM EDT
I am looking to purchase a new Tactical pump shotgun
I have narrowed my choices to a Remington 870 or a Benelli Supernova Tactical. (Sorry Mossberg enthusiasts).
Both with pistol Grip.
Both are approximately $430 in my area.

I was able to compare the two side-by-side, but that did not make my choice any easier. Both felt nice. Both had slight advantages over the other.

Here is my summary:

870: Pros: Time-tested design (1951), made in USA, 7+1 rounds, slightly smoother action (v. BSN), slide release button has easier access (v. BSN), lots of accessories available.
870 Cons: Poor sights (v. BSN), Many posts stating their 870s are rust buckets, Found many posts that the 870's have had quality problems off-and-on over the past 10-15 years.

BSN: Pros: Better feel in hands, longer forearm, nicer butt stock, far nicer ghost ring sights (with aftermarket tritium available), virtually weatherproof/no rust (posted feedback), Cabela's currently has 12 month, 0% interest for 12 months - always nice to temporarily spend someone else's money); receiver already tapped.
BSN Cons: Fewer accessories available (but, all I want is an extended tube, shell holder, and tritium sights - all available); only 4+1 rounds, design only been around since 2005, harder access to slide release (due to beefier trigger guard).

All constructive feedback with be greatly appreciated.
I don't want this to become an argument.

Thanks
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 5:21:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Get an older used 870.  Haven't had any rust issues out of mine.  There's also a lot more parts available as you tacticool it to your tastes, and if you decide to rebuild it as a sporter, go to wood stock, fiddle with extensions... the 870 is an extremely modular and affordable platform.  I own four, all setup differently, and am keeping my eye out for another.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 5:34:09 PM EDT
[#2]
I haven't had any rust issues with mine ether. If you keep it in wet and humid conditions it will probably rust (as will all other metals). I wouldn't call the sights poor, its a basic shotgun bead that has been used for hundreds of years.

Personally, I would go with the 870
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 4:23:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Just remember that you can always have the 870 refinished with your favorite spray/bake or just get it parkerized. Also the 870 is not subject to 922r so mag extensions are GTG. IMHO, the best reason to get an 870 over a Super Nova is that you can get a Surefire forend for the 870. I deem it the single most important add on to a tactical shotgun.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:02:12 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a Rem-870 that I pondered converting to a tactical set-up. No rust at all. Maybe 100 rounds put through it. Great shape.

However, after looking at the cost, I thought a new shotgun would be the way to go. Just the barrel and stock would cost $240.

So a new one is $430 - and I can sell the old 870 to recoup some of the cost. It seemed to make financial sense.

However, I will see how the feedback progresses before making my final decision. Perhaps, I will end up converting the old one anyway.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:01:05 AM EDT
[#5]
The length-of-pull of most factory buttstocks is too long for most users. With the 870, it is easy to shorten the stock or replace it with a "youth" stock. With the Nova, you're stuck with what you've got.

Rosco
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 10:53:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Length of of pull is not a concern for me.

I'm 6'3" with long monkey arms.

The stock Benelli fits nicely (so does the 870).
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 2:48:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Looks: < 870
Functionality: < Supernova

The Supernova has a 3.5 inch chamber, the best pistol grip, nice ghost ring sites, doesn't have annoying flap that can pinch your finger each time you load a shell, and has its safety in a better spot.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 3:38:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Benelli unless you plan on tacticooling the everloving shit out of it.

Benelli wins. I have a SuperNova and like it 100 times more than the 870 i had.

I would like a Pistol grip but they are just too expensive... Like 150 bucks...

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 4:02:45 PM EDT
[#9]
why not look at a 870 express tactical

you said a con was the sights, but you can get these with the ghost sights, and it is still cheaper then the BSN

just my opinion
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:01:59 PM EDT
[#10]
I am looking at the 870 Express Tactical (v. BSN).

The 870 tactical ghost sights are far inferior to the Benelli ghost sights.

Very hard to find the 870 Tact with pistol grip.

The 870 Tactical and BSN tactical are the same price in my area. So price is NOT a factor.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:11:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Remington 870 have it parkerized if you are worried about the finish.

The Nova/SuperNova is not a bad shotgun but the funky forend that completly covers the loading gate when to the rear eliminates the proper unloading of a pump.They really hosed up the saftey placement as well.

A 12 dollar vang comp saftey on an 870 requires nothing of your grip be altered to use it.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:44:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Just call JD at AIP Tactical. JD does a good zinc park job, and will customize your 870 to your likening.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:43:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Remington 870 have it parkerized if you are worried about the finish.

The Nova/SuperNova is not a bad shotgun but the funky forend that completly covers the loading gate when to the rear eliminates the proper unloading of a pump.They really hosed up the saftey placement as well.

A 12 dollar vang comp saftey on an 870 requires nothing of your grip be altered to use it.

actually on the novas/supernovas, they designed the shell latch so its easy to press and unload the magazine tube that way. you can do it with the 870 also, just not as easy..
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 10:28:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Never had an issue w/my 870. I put a Knoxx Stock on it & love it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top