Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/3/2008 4:31:15 PM EDT
I am trying to swap out my factory bead for the weekend and broke it off. Now I screwed myself and its barely anything to grab with a needle nose.

So do I take it in and get it removed and a screw in fiber optic put on or should I just get a magnetic one and slide it over where the factory one was?

So the magnetic ones stay on well?

Need help on this quick as early goose opener is Saturday!!!!
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 5:02:24 PM EDT
[#1]
smaller diameter left hand drill bit. should spin it right out. use a drill press, easier to hold still and level. dont get the threads
Link Posted: 9/3/2008 7:04:10 PM EDT
[#2]
What model shotgun is it?  Some beads are pressed in, soldered, or even epoxied instead of threaded.  My Remington 870P was pressed in.  I had to have the old one removed and the hole tapped to put in the tritium bead.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 4:35:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Take it to a smith.  Most likely he'll have to drill it out, tap the new hole with a thread of appropriate diameter, and install a new bead.  

Might as well have a mid rib bead installed with you are at it.    

No, magnetic beads do not work.  

You don't need beads, anyway.  Target focus, eye as rear sight, index off off muzzle in your periphery...you shouldn't be focusing on the bead as a front site like you would with irons on a pistol or carbine.  Many shotgun instructors actually remove the beads from their student's guns for this reason.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top