Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/26/2006 9:01:54 PM EDT
So, a while ago I thought I would build myself a nice 870 Wingmaster 20" rifle sight barrel shotgun. I have a few bead sighted shotguns, but I wanted top be able to use slugs more effectively at longer ranges, and still be able to use buckshot close in, so...

I bought a SpeedFeed stock for $60 from a member here (Easy_E)

I bought a used 870 Wingmaster 12 gauge from Gander Mountain for $115

I bought a slightly used 20" smoothbore (IC) rifle sight factory barrel from another member here (Kalahnikid) for $90

I also just a few days ago bought a Choate mag extension for $40 from Sportsmans Guide. (Came with my shipment of really cheap Estate 00 buck).

So, for ~$305, what do you all think...

I put some electrical tape around the mag clamp, to keep it from sliding around and marring the barrel. I used good electrical tape (Scotch Super 33+), which is heat resistant, holds in cold whether etc. Looks a little ghetto, but it should work alright.
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 9:15:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Another sexy 870.  I got a 20" for the same reason. Only thing is do you have the right clamp on there if you need tap? Great gun youll have lots of fun with that. (edit) dang and a wingmaster at that!
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 9:25:19 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Another sexy 870.  I got a 20" for the same reason. Only thing is do you have the right clamp on there if you need tap? Great gun youll have lots of fun with that. (edit) dang and a wingmaster at that!

I have the right clamp (the one Choate supplies), but I have read (on the interweb, so it's a little dicey), that it may slide a bit under recoil and possibly mar the finish. I put the tape on there as insurance I guess. It comes off easy enough(I took some off and put new stuff on beacause it wasn't on there straight., and it left no residue).

Yes, it's a Wingmaster. Smooth as silk and has a rugged metal trigger guard. Doesn't get much better than that!
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 9:45:59 PM EDT
[#3]

Wow!  The last used one I've seen was last Saturday, and it was $450.  I'd love to find one for less than $200.  I've been looking for six years and haven't found one locally yet.z
Link Posted: 10/26/2006 9:58:02 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Wow!  The last used one I've seen was last Saturday, and it was $450.  I'd love to find one for less than $200.  I've been looking for six years and haven't found one locally yet.z

This is one of the old old Wingmasters (circa 1975). 2 3/4" only. Works excellent though. They really never wear out, and this one hadn't scene an enormous amount of use. An occasional hunting gun it seems. I have the 28" it came with if I ever want to go hunting.

ETA: And part of the reason I found  it so cheap is that they had put it out with wrong tag. It had a tag on it for a $200, calling it a 20 gauge with a completely different serial #. I asked them to look it up with the serial # in their computer and it came up $120. I asked them if I had the in house gunsmith take the old wood stock off and keep it if they would knock down the price. Got $10 off. $115 OTD because of sales tax.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 9:11:07 AM EDT
[#5]
For what it's worth, I like it hope
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 1:06:22 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
So, a while ago I thought I would build myself a nice 870 Wingmaster 20" rifle sight barrel shotgun. I have a few bead sighted shotguns, but I wanted top be able to use slugs more effectively at longer ranges, and still be able to use buckshot close in, so...

I bought a SpeedFeed stock for $60 from a member here (Easy_E)

I bought a slightly used 20" smoothbore (IC) rifle sight factory barrel from another member here (Kalahnikid) for $90

I also just a few days ago bought a Choate mag extension for $40 from Sportsmans Guide. (Came with my shipment of really cheap Estate 00 buck).

So, for ~$305, what do you all think...

i142.photobucket.com/albums/r88/_bullseye_/Remington870.jpg

I put some electrical tape around the mag clamp, to keep it from sliding around and marring the barrel. I used good electrical tape (Scotch Super 33+), which is heat resistant, holds in cold whether etc. Looks a little ghetto, but it should work alright.

Nice shotgun!  I love buying them used and building them up.  Going to shoot one of my projects after work.

Link Posted: 10/27/2006 3:04:19 PM EDT
[#7]
You stole my housegun!!!!

Seriosly, that's my set up.

I put in night sights and will be adding a light soon.

Nice looking weapon.
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 6:35:46 PM EDT
[#8]
very nice... but what are the legalities of putting a 18", 18.5", or 20" barrel on a shotgun?
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 6:48:59 PM EDT
[#9]
18 inches is the legal limit for a shotgun.  16 inches for a rifle.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 4:56:16 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
very nice... but what are the legalities of putting a 18", 18.5", or 20" barrel on a shotgun?

I remember Many years ago PA didn't allow shotguns with less than a 24" barrel.

This law became Obsolete when PA passed the Uniform Firearms Act.

members.aol.com/StatutesP2/18.Cp.61A.html

I guess you and I are both old Farts  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top