Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/1/2006 4:37:50 PM EDT
I found a new one at this gunshow for 285 nib. I will be getting the pistolgrip stock for it right away. Is this a good price, or hold out for somthing better. I can't remember if it is 18.5 or 20 inch barrel, so let me know both ways and I will check tomorrow. Also, any other suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 3:29:03 AM EDT
[#1]
For that much money, one can easily find a Remington 870 - which is FAR superior to the Mossy 500, IMO... Now, if you were talking about a 590, that'd be a different story - that'd be a bargain - not such a good deal on a 500, though - I'd pass...

- georgestrings
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 10:44:38 PM EDT
[#2]
I paid 165.00 for my Mossberg 500 persuader, with both stocks NIB. It was on sale at Sports Authority and it was too good to pass up. Mine was a 18.5 inch 6 shot model as opposed to the 20 inch 9 shot. Depending on what you are after, the 500 would be a great HD gun. You should be able to get a used Maverick/Mossberg 500 Persuader/Cruiser for around 175-225.00 and less for a used one. 285.00 is a lot of money for this gun, unless it has the carbon fiber stocks. You should be able to buy a Winchester 1300 Defender or Remington 870 HD for around 250.00, which is what they go for around here. I hated my Mossberg 500. The trigger was horribulous. It was extremely heavy, so much so that not only was it difficult to pull but it destroyed any type of accuracy. It never loosened up or got any better. The first time I went to fire it, the trigger was so

stiff I thought the safety was on.... Recoil was also substantial, compared to other shotguns. Personally, the only Mossberg combat shotgun worth owning is the 590A1, or the plain 590 and as a 9 shot. All bias aside, the Remington 870 is the foremost combat shotgun on the planet and is second to none. Despite its short-comings, this my 500 was absolutely abused*thats really an understatement* I got it for a song, so I didn't really care if I broke/scratched it. It fired more tha 1500 rounds of 8 shot, 000 and 00 buckshot and various slugs. I cleaned it once, right after I bought it. This gun never so much as hiccuped, it was completely reliable and never failed me. Again, as a HD shotgun, it would be an excellent choice as its lack of durability wouldn't be an issue.Do remember to get used to the trigger, as it definatly takes some familiarization. They are way out of line on thier price, unless its a 9 shot...but even then, I paid 315.00 for a 590 with ghost rings and a Speedfeed I stock....granted it was used, but in excellent shape. My reccomendation is to buy an 870, or find a 500 which is priced much more realisticly.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 2:38:55 PM EDT
[#3]
I like my 500.

I got a Shotforce expandible stock for it.

You paid a bit too much, like me, but, *meh*, I'm not that mad.

It's never FTF, or anything else.

My mossy 500 with shotforce stock.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 2:51:09 PM EDT
[#4]
M500 is a good gun but I agree that 285 is too much money for one. You should be able to find a very nice used Rem 870 for that price, if not a good bit less.

If you really want a M500, look around for a used one for $100-150, then spend the rest of that money buying accessories and ammo for it and taking your woman out to dinner. You'll prolly STILL have money left over if you shop right.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:08:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the advice. I took it and passed up the shotgun. The high price was typical for the show, I later discovered. Where have you all purchsed weapons from online?
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 7:00:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Gunshows used to be the home of bargains, but no more. Saturday at one I saw two used Mini-14s priced at $550--which is exactly $9 MORE than Walmart is asking for a brand-new "new improved" model of one!

Pawnshops seem to be a good place to find things like used Mossy 500s, cheap.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 7:04:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Too much, but they are nice shotguns.  Plain, simple, and thay go bang every time.  Only complaint that I've ever heard about any Mossberg is from a duck hunter shooting a Mossberg 590.  He said that the trigger pin tended to walk out of the receiver after a lot of 3.5" loads.

I have a 500 and a 590 and like both.  Look for a New Mossberg 500 w/ one barrel for about $225, used for about $175
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 5:46:15 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Now, if you were talking about a 590, that'd be a different story - that'd be a bargain

only if it was an A1.  i paid $279 for my 590 NIB.  too bad academy doesn't carry them anymore or i'd go pick up another one...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top