Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/17/2006 5:25:00 AM EDT
As the title says, what brand/type of Buck and Slugs do you use?

I found some Wolf 00 and rifled slugs for excellent prices and I think I'm going to go with that as it's about 1/2 as expensive as Remington Express.

For those that are interested, it's from AmmunitionStore.com.

Edit:  Just called AmmunitionStore.com and they accept C&Rs for dealer pricing, Oooo!
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 5:26:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Federal Tactical.

There is no substitute.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 10:06:01 AM EDT
[#2]
It somewhat depends on the gun and application.

I use a lot of Remington Express 00Buck in barrel testing.

I really like Winchester's buffered #1Buck in 2 3/4" and 3".  The FD (farm defense) gun is loaded with the 3".

The primary slugs I use are Remington Express and Winchester; both 1oz foster-type.

I have fired some 3" Winchester slugs.  Those, I would say, deliver maximum devastation at government surplus prices.  I don't know that I would use them on a regular basis, but you need to try a 5 pack just for the experience.

I came across some Remington Sluggers in 7/8oz rated at 1800fps.  I bought several packs, but haven't tested them yet.

I have started casting and loading my own 1oz slugs.  The slugs are cast from the Lee mold.  So far the accuracy seems better when they are powered by Accurate No.5 powder than by Alliant Blue Dot.  I'm still working up the loads.

In looking for data and the Lyman slug moulds, I came across Ballistic Products Inc (BPI).  They have a fin-stabilized slug shop2.mailordercentral.com/bpicart/prodinfo.asp?number=0151000 that looks pretty cool.  They also have this one called "Dangerous Game"  shop2.mailordercentral.com/bpicart/prodinfo.asp?number=0721612 .  That looks interesting.  I'm in contact with them now so I can get load data for these slugs.

Link Posted: 3/17/2006 10:15:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Federal.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 12:43:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Federal Tactical is some of the best and most accurate 00 buck availible. There are different variations, but I use the 132 which is 2 3/4 low-recoil, 9 pellet 00 buckshot. Low recoil buckshot loads offer a huge advantage for HD work as they have significantly less recoil and the reduced velocity has a negligible effect on terminal ballistics, but it does allow for much faster follow up shots. In addition to the Federal Tactical 00 buck, I used both Remington and Winchester 000 buckshot. In my guns, the Winchester 000 buck is more accurate and patterns tighter, but Remington is a close second. I have also used Hornady TAP 00 buckshot which is excellent ammunition as well, though IMO nothing beats Federal Tactical 00 buck. I have around 1k of Wincehster 000 buckshot for SHTF use, as I prefer 000 buck for this application especially a full power shell.

I have found Remington "reduced recoil" 1oz slugs to be the most accurate slugs I have fired out of my gun. Federal Hydrashok slugs are also very accurate out of my gun, but not quite as accurate as the Remington reduced recoil. I also shoot both Federal/Winchester 1oz slugs which come in the value packs from Walmart. These are decent/accurate slugs for the money and are excellent to stockpile. Bar-none, the Remington's were the most accurate slugs I have shot in my guns.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 2:59:03 PM EDT
[#5]
for practice, i use either remington "shurshot" game loads or federal "field and range" shotshells.  both are inexpensive and both perform just fine for what i use them for.

for HD, i use remington "managed recoil" 00 buck.  i prefer remington "hevi-shot" loads, but at $2.00 per shell, i haven't gotten around to stocking up.

for fun, i used the remington managed recoil 00 buck and 1oz slugs as well as standard remington buck and slugs.  brenneke rotweils are also on my list of favorites.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 6:50:19 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Federal Tactical.

There is no substitute.

+1
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 12:43:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Winchester Ranger 2 3/4 00 reduced recoil buck, and Winchester Super X 2 3/4 1oz slugs.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 1:52:23 PM EDT
[#8]
http://www.natchezss.com/ammo.cfm?contentID=productDetail&ammoRecID=3&brand=FA&prodID=FAF1271B&CFID=2417740&CFTOKEN=64851686

http://www.natchezss.com/ammo.cfm?contentID=productList&ammoRecID=3&brand=NW&subgroup=1449&CFID=2417740&CFTOKEN=64851686

Suggested Reading:

http://www.tacticalshotgun.ca/ballistics_shotgun.html
http://www.firearmstactical.com/briefs10.htm

Link Posted: 3/19/2006 1:21:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Federal Tactical 00 buck and slugs
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 5:52:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Federal 00 Buck and plain old, run of the mill Winchester slugs seem to give me the best performance.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 6:19:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Fed hydra shok slugs... fed shot.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 9:08:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Remington express 3" 000 and 2 3/4" 000

Brenneke 2 3/4" K.O. 1oz slugs and 3" black magic magnum 1 3/8 oz slugs

I also keep a lot of high and low brass #4's around for practice and "fun"

The best prices I've found are at midwayusa.com
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top