Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/28/2006 6:02:35 PM EDT
I am thinking about getting a TacStar sidesaddle for my Rem. 870.  How difficult are they to install?  Would I be able to do it myself or would I have to get a gunsmith to do it?

Thanks

Nic
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:00:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Side saddles are very easy to install on 870's.  If you can field strip your shotgun, you can install a saddle.  Have you checked out the mesa tactical side saddle?  I sprung for it even though it is more expensive.  You really get what you pay for.  
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 2:09:18 AM EDT
[#2]
+1 on the Mesa Tactical side saddle.  It is head and shoulders above the Tac-Star product.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:44:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Got a link to the Mesa Tactical saddle?

Nic
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 7:22:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Link to Mesa Tactical Rem 870 Shell Holders. I have two of these and like them much better than the TacStar. They are 3x the price of the TacStar, but I think they are worth it.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 7:29:17 PM EDT
[#5]
If you're serious about your shotgun, and want to spend your money on a dependable product, well worth it's price, buy the Mesa Tactical.

If your shotgun is just for playing "Range Commando", buy the TacStar.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 10:16:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Hey, don't "Range Commando"s need the best?

Link Posted: 3/1/2006 10:46:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:27:07 AM EDT
[#8]
if you do get the TacStar...loctite the damn screws..!!!!
i was shooting a friends 870 and the rear screws that hold the two pieces together came loose, a live round ejected under the recoil and slammed into my head, right above my left eye, it hit hard enough for the brass to cut my forehead..
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 12:24:56 PM EDT
[#9]
There's nothing wrong w/ the Tac-star side saddles.  I have them on both of my 870s & my 11-87 & they work great.  I do agree w/ the loctite on the screws.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:35:41 PM EDT
[#10]
will the tac star intefere with the front handguard when I pull it back.  Mine does not have the small handguard and i think it will hit the saddle if i get one.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:16:27 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
will the tac star intefere with the front handguard when I pull it back.  Mine does not have the small handguard and i think it will hit the saddle if i get one.

you'll probably have to get the 4 shot instead of the 6 shot model
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:04:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Don't let folks blow smoke up your backside.  Hundreds upon hundreds of LE and military groups as well as many, many more civilians have used the Tac-Star side saddles for years without problems.  I personally wouldn't own a "social" shotgun without one.

That said, one would be wise to use blue (removeable) Loctite on ANY screws that you don't want to come loose at an inopportune moment.  
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:17:18 PM EDT
[#13]
DEFINITELY get the one from Mesa!!!

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 5:21:38 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

you'll probably have to get the 4 shot instead of the 6 shot model

if you get the 6 shot, you will either have to notch the left side of the handguard for it to fit, or replace with a Wilson or something similar short handguard.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 8:28:29 AM EDT
[#15]
I think I decided on the Mesa 6-shot.  I know the stock Remington forend overlaps on the reciever, which, if you have a sidsaddle installed, will keep it from moving back far enough.  But does the Surefire forend overlap on the receiver?  

Thanks,

Nic
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 5:28:49 PM EDT
[#16]
With the Mesa Tactical 6-round shell holder, you'll need to shave off about 1/2 inch of the rear of the SureFire.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 6:54:19 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
With the Mesa Tactical 6-round shell holder, you'll need to shave off about 1/2 inch of the rear of the SureFire.

Incorrect.  With the Mesa 8 rounder you will have to shave about 1/4" off.  The 6 rounder will work as is.    I cut my Surefire forend with a fine tooth wood blade on a miter saw as recommended by the folks at Mesa with excellent results.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 9:52:29 PM EDT
[#18]
tacman,

You're absolutely correct.  I don't know how I screwed that one up.  I have both a SF618FA and a M/T 6-round holder on my 870P.  I was thinking about the 8 round holder, but typed 6-round.  I'm blaming it on a long week of work and mid-terms.
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 6:37:57 AM EDT
[#19]
So then it is correct that a Surefire forend will work with the Mesa Tactical 6 shell holder without modification?  Just want to be sure.  

Nic
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 6:53:20 AM EDT
[#20]
Nic,

Here's a pic of my 870P with Surefire foreend and 6-round holder.  You can't see the shell holder too well, but it's there.  I didn't have to modify my foreend.  (I'm blaming my previous post on a week and a half of 8-hour work days, 4 hours of sleep a night, three mid-terms and a four page English paper.)

Link Posted: 3/5/2006 7:14:28 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
if you do get the TacStar...loctite the damn screws..!!!!
i was shooting a friends 870 and the rear screws that hold the two pieces together came loose, a live round ejected under the recoil and slammed into my head, right above my left eye, it hit hard enough for the brass to cut my forehead..

+1

I had a screw back out during a match and I forced the slide back breaking my extractor pin. Lock tite is good stuff.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top