Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/27/2006 5:05:11 PM EDT
Hi All,

Trying to decide on a shottie for HD and SHTF situations. It would be used for hunting alongside an AK in SHTF situations.

I am considering a Benelli M series Vs. Winchester Super X2 Practical Vs. Remington 870P Max Vs. Vang-Comp 870 Police Magnum Vs. Wilson Combat/Scattergun Technologies 870 Standard Vs. Wilson Tactical 870 Military or Home Defense (yeah basically I'm considering all the top builds available).

Personally I am leaning to a semi-auto. No chance of short pumps. Rapid fire. Better for home defense in this regard. My family members can use it without forgetting to pump it, therefore more reliable for them.

The pumps are probably (correct me if I am wrong) more reliable in a SHTF situation. Other than that, why does everybody seem to go pump for a HD/SHTF tactical shottie?

Which of the above would you recommend?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:10:13 PM EDT
[#1]
870 pump 12 gauge.

User friendly, less moving parts then a sem-auto means less things can go wrong.

You'll never have cycling problems with a pump, and if you do, it is YOUR fault, not the guns.

That is why I stick with pump for SHTF stuff, and semi autos for clays and sport.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:24:21 PM EDT
[#2]

No chance of short pumps.

Put in the time to train with the weapon.  Shoot it more than once or twice a year at the range, and this becomes less of an issue than a mechanically induced failure.

Rapid fire. Better for home defense in this regard.

Rapid fire?  How may times are you planning on missing or are you planning on kill the perp multiple times?

My family members can use it without forgetting to pump it, therefore more reliable for them.

So you're going to substitute technology for training?  How about forgetting to take the safety off, or forgetting to chamber a round?  In a stress situation, it can be argued that reliability is more a function of the shooter than the weapon.

I would recommend whatever you consistently train with, be it pump or semi.

Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:27:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:04:15 PM EDT
[#4]
First of all, I would not recommend a shotgun as your primary/bedside home-defense weapon. My 11-87P below was my primary for awhile until something went bump in the night in my house one night and I had to clear the house, room by room. A shotgun is WAY too cumbersone for moving down halls and checking out closets, etc. Now it is my backup, resting nearby in a closet, ready for action. My priamary is a G21w/rail-light on my nightstand. My shotgun still plays a very important part in a possible defense of my home, but not a weapon for tight quarters, IMHO.

As far as semi vs pump. I own both, and have shot my semi enough that I fully trust it in a pressure situation, with the correct load.

One final thought...unless you plan on taking the entire family to the range REGULARY and practice with a pump, a semi may be easier for a family member to operate in a stressful situation.

My .02

Here is my baby-

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:12:47 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

One final thought...unless you plan on taking the entire family to the range REGULARY and practice with a pump, a semi may be easier for a family member to operate in a stressful situation.

Even if you use a semi, have the family shoot it and train with it so they can get accustomed to it. Either gun, pump or semi, they should be taught how to use it properly before trying to use it in a stressful HD situation. Man I know my wife wouldnt be comfortable with the recoil of a 12Ga shotgun unless she was shooting it pretty consistantly. Ide rather her grab my AR.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:28:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Did someone say "combat"?

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 1:51:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Lots of good points...  On the rapid fire thing, with minimal practice you can cycle the action on a pump and be ready for the next shot by the time you regain your sight picture.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 3:30:51 PM EDT
[#8]
At my house I would use the guns I am the best with....and leave the others in the safe.

For pump action I would go with the Winchester 1897 18.5"
What I like about the 97 is the fact that it is easy to shoulder, quick to reload and is very fast.

For auto I would go with the Benelli or Beretta 1201FP.

These shotguns are my standard bird hunting guns. They hold 7 or 8 shells and are very fast.
I have had a few jams in the woods with the Benelli, but I was able to clear the jams fast enough to still shoot flushed birds.

There are other pumps and autos I could use. But those three guns are the ones  I trust.

Which is the best SHTF shotgun PUMP or AUTO......I am going to say auto, and which is the best BENELLI
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:50:44 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Hi All,

Trying to decide on a shottie for HD and SHTF situations. It would be used for hunting alongside an AK in SHTF situations.

I am considering a Benelli M series Vs. Winchester Super X2 Practical Vs. Remington 870P Max Vs. Vang-Comp 870 Police Magnum Vs. Wilson Combat/Scattergun Technologies 870 Standard Vs. Wilson Tactical 870 Military or Home Defense (yeah basically I'm considering all the top builds available).

Personally I am leaning to a semi-auto. No chance of short pumps. Rapid fire. Better for home defense in this regard. My family members can use it without forgetting to pump it, therefore more reliable for them.

The pumps are probably (correct me if I am wrong) more reliable in a SHTF situation. Other than that, why does everybody seem to go pump for a HD/SHTF tactical shottie?

Thanks!

Check my responses on shotgunworld.com.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:56:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Tag, because I'm pondering the same thing.  I'd go Benelli autoloader but everybody seems to think I'd be violating the import ban by throwing a mag extension on it.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 10:43:00 PM EDT
[#11]
If you shoot pump for hunting, stick with a pump.

If you otherwise shoot Over/Under, Side by Side, or autoloader, go with a Benelli.  

There is nothing like just having to pull the trigger and repeating.

Just attach some extra rounds to the sling or butt.  

Although, I guess you could go pre-ban (HK) if you want 2 more rounds.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top