Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/29/2006 3:04:08 PM EDT
Need one of the shell mmounts That I have seen in the pic thread. Wanted to know what kind it was and wear can I get one? Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 9:57:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Are you talking about the sidesaddle? Like this in the pic?

If so, Brownells sells them as well as a bunch of other places. Check on the EE as they come up once in awhile. Also if you have a standard forend, you will have to trim it or replace it for the 6 shot. A 4 shot will work fine. If you have a short forend, the 6 shot will work with no mods. Hope this helps...... Milldude
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 2:31:29 AM EDT
[#2]
The two "Side Saddles" that i've found worth mentioning are the Tac-Star (4 & 6 shot) and the Mesa (4 & 6 shot)

Im also interested/looking to get one.....Haven't owned either of them, but just from browsing around posts on this site and others, it sounds like they are both good quality products and its really a matter of personal preference. They arent exactly the same.....

Hope this helps, im still a noobie to shotguns so i might be incorrect, but if so i'd like to know the answer....

Link Posted: 1/30/2006 2:34:27 AM EDT
[#3]
I had good luck with Tac-star, I put one one my Mossberg 590.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 3:44:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Try Mesa Tactical....
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 5:31:23 AM EDT
[#5]
I put a Mesa Tactical side saddle on my 870P MAX and love it.  It's lower proflile than the TacStar which seems to make removing shells a bit easier, yet it holds them very securely.  It also has a neat little windo cut out of it which displays the serial number.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 1:08:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Mesa is also twice the price of the Tac-Star....At least the last time i looked!

So i guess you have to ask yourself, is it really worth it!
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 1:10:59 PM EDT
[#7]
There is one made of velcre and elastic though i don't know who makes it. Some people swear by it. Some don't
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 2:01:34 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
There is one made of velcre and elastic though i don't know who makes it. Some people swear by it. Some don'thr

It looks very "Swap Meet" Style IMHO
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 2:46:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 2:47:58 PM EDT
[#10]
the 3 gun gear side saddles are much better than those plastic ones,  i have had the same ones on my benelli for 4 years,  still not stretched out.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 2:52:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 3:51:42 PM EDT
[#12]
I have never seen the Mesa Tactical products.  I have been using TacStar sidesaddles for years and have always been quite pleased with them.  But, I am currently in the process of building up a 14" NFA Remington 870 with all the bells and whistles, and I believe I am getting ready to give the Mesa products a try.  The main reason for me considering the switch is the increase from 6 to 8 rounds on the left side and the possibility of adding another 4 rounds on the right.  Talk about grab and go firepower.  My only question is this.  The Mesa website says that if you mount the 8 round holder on the 870 with the Surefire forend (which is what I will be doing) then you will have to shave 1/2" off the Surefire forend.      Has anybody done this, and if so how hard is it to do, and how did you go about doing it.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:08:02 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Mesa is also twice the price of the Tac-Star....At least the last time i looked!

Probably even more now.  We raised the prices $5 on all shell holders.  Price of aluminum is going through the roof.  Plastic remains cheap.

Quoted:
The Mesa website says that if you mount the 8 round holder on the 870 with the Surefire forend (which is what I will be doing) then you will have to shave 1/2" off the Surefire forend. Has anybody done this, and if so how hard is it to do, and how did you go about doing it.

Here's someone who has: www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showpost.php?p=115080&postcount=30

We've done it too, but we don't have any pics.  We have a radial arm saw in the back of the warehouse set up for this very purpose.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:34:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Always great when you get answers straight from the source, especially so quickly.  When I read about the problem with the Surefire forend, I was thinking of the other one made out of plastic with the integral light.  I didn't realize you were talking about the aluminum railed one.  Is there any problem with compatability with the integral light forend?  Also, a couple of more question.  How about at the rear of the receiver.  If I want to use a single point sling adaptor plate such as the one from GG&G, is the rear of the 8 round carrier going to interefere with that?  Finally, I read on the website that there is going to be a change from elastomer to santoprene for the shell loops.  Has this transition occurred yet?  Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:37:39 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

and those that don't swear by them have never used them.

Thats because velcro belongs on childrens shoes, and elastic belongs on underwear.

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 1:12:53 AM EDT
[#16]
I have written before and I'll write it now... I'll never go back to a TacStar after using my Mesa Tactical sidesaddle.  

The Mesa Tactical product allows for faster reloads and smoother reloads.  I find it much it easier to keep my eyes and muzzle pointed downrange when reloading from the Mesa Tactical product as compared to the same manipulation with the TacStar product.  Mesa Tactical's product looks nicer as well.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:06:30 AM EDT
[#17]
As answered in e-mail:

Quoted:
When I read on your website about the problem with compatability between the 8 round shell carrier and the Surefire forend on an 870, I was thinking of the other one made out of plastic with the integral light. I didn't realize you were talking about the aluminum railed one. Is there any problem with compatability with the integral light forend?

Yes, the Surefire forend extends over the receiver about 1/2".  We have one in the office and we simply cut a bit of material off the end with a miter saw.  If you use a wood blade, it looks very clean indeed.

There is no incompatibility with the six-shell holders.

How about at the rear of the receiver. If I want to use a single point sling adaptor plate such as the one from GG&G, is the rear of the 8 round carrier going to interefere with that? It looks like it would be a little close back there.

Yes, there is a bit of overhang at the rear with the eight-shell holder.  It would not be compatible with a Burnsed loop.

Finally, I read on the website that there is going to be a change from elastomer to santoprene for the shell loops. Has this transition occurred yet?

Yes, the transition from silicone to Santoprene happened on 1 November.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:30:18 AM EDT
[#18]
tag
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:54:45 AM EDT
[#19]
Another vote for 3-gun gear. Secure,does not come loose. cannot be put on to tight.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 7:47:35 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I prefer 3 Gun Gear's side saddles

www.3gungear.com/images/shotgun/remington/1100_ANGL7.jpg

www.3gungear.com

How do those atatch to the gun. The website doesn't say.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 7:50:52 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I prefer 3 Gun Gear's side saddles

www.3gungear.com/images/shotgun/remington/1100_ANGL7.jpg

www.3gungear.com

How do those atatch to the gun. The website doesn't say.

adheasive glue
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 10:06:40 AM EDT
[#22]
The Tac Star works fine for me, but the Mesa looks great. I might have to ry one of those pretty soon. I will, however, pass on the nylon and velcro.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 2:29:12 PM EDT
[#23]
I've said it before and I'll say it again, it just doesn't get nicer than the Mesa Tactical shell holder, although the 3-Gun Gear set-up looks good, too.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 2:55:47 PM EDT
[#24]
i got both the tac star and mesa 6 shot. For the price tac star cant be beat but for the quality mesa is a++++

So you got to figure out how much you want to spend and rest will fall in place.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 11:49:41 AM EDT
[#25]
Verdit Is In: Ordered two side saddles from mesa tactical, one 6 shell holder for the left and one 4 shell holder for the right
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 5:49:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Tag
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top