Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/23/2006 5:21:41 PM EDT
Sorry if I duped this, but it's pretty impressive. I've  just gotten to the point where I can work the action again
I need to practice more...a lot more.

Super fast 870 reload
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 5:26:24 PM EDT
[#1]
that guy needs to hit the gym
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 5:30:41 PM EDT
[#2]
tell him that to his face...see what would happen
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 5:41:56 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
tell him that to his face...see what would happen

Link Posted: 1/23/2006 6:11:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 7:12:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Um, yea, that was pretty cool.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 7:13:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Not to toot my own horn by any means, but I am pretty good with an 870. I have practiced, practiced, and then practiced some more. I am as good as I can be until I get baeeter.

The underhanded method is more tactically sound...however, I use both, much in the way he does. The reason I do this is ammo selection. I have a pair of belt bags I use at the range, and carry in the trunk of my squad. The right side is slugs, and the left side is buck. When I load from the right side, it is underhanded, its faster. However, when I load buck from the left side, I go over the top of the receiver..again, because its faster.

I am a big fan of the "Combat"/"CQB" reload. It is much faster than any other method out there, and allows you to stay in the game. It is also a necessary element of "pick-a-slug" drills. When I load from the sidesaddle, it is always under the receiver...it is more secure, and faster.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 11:08:59 AM EDT
[#7]
+1 on the left underhand method as well.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 2:03:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Needs a magazine.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 5:21:29 PM EDT
[#9]
tag for vid
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 7:04:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 8:00:36 PM EDT
[#11]
He looks good.

How much would buck/slugs affect him time?

These reloads will only work with a completely empty gun, right?
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 8:28:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Anyone have a fast reload of reloading the mag tube?
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 9:42:34 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
the guy is skilled and proficient...he isn't super fast though.

Super fast is guys like Kurt Miller that can reload 4 shells in about the same amount of time it took him to reload 1.

Now that id love to see!
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 10:33:17 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
He looks good.

How much would buck/slugs affect him time?

These reloads will only work with a completely empty gun, right?

Correct!  Do this with even one round in the mag and you could have yourself a major jam on your hands.  It may not even be possible to feed the round in by hand, I've forgotten how high up the new cartridge jumps when the fore end is pulled back.

Very cool technique.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 12:06:37 PM EDT
[#15]
i dont comment much on things I see, take it with a grain of salt, but that has to be the "ghey'est", old guy trying to be cool with hard rock back ground music shooting video I have ever seen.

I dont know who it is or what move/shoot is, but i am talking about the video itself, that was absolutely horrible.

it doesn't seem a very hard skill to grasp..

i vote ghey.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 2:13:53 PM EDT
[#16]
I am by no means fast but I timed myself against him and could easily shoot 9 rounds out of my benelli M1S90 on target, load 8 more and shoot them in the time it took him to do 9 rounds.  Whats with the one round at a time thing?
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 2:26:52 PM EDT
[#17]
The guy is pretty smooth and proficient,  but Tom Knapp makes him look like a hack.  Then again, Tom Knapp makes anyone look like a hack.

Vid of Tom in action

Link Posted: 1/28/2006 4:32:56 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
i dont comment much on things I see, take it with a grain of salt, but that has to be the "ghey'est", old guy trying to be cool with hard rock back ground music shooting video I have ever seen.

I dont know who it is or what move/shoot is, but i am talking about the video itself, that was absolutely horrible.

i vote ghey.

There is always someone who talks shit. Please post a video of you doing the same thing.

Lets see you do it candy ass, nucking loser I swear.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 4:44:40 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
The guy is pretty smooth and proficient,  but Tom Knapp makes him look like a hack.  Then again, Tom Knapp makes anyone look like a hack.

Vid of Tom in action

Knapp has an auto-SG. That's "cheating".

Quoted:

Quoted:

i vote ghey.

There is always someone who talks shit. Please post a video of you doing the same thing.

Lets see you do it candy ass, nucking loser I swear.

+1....put up or stfu.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 6:19:20 PM EDT
[#20]
"LEO HATHAWAY" I see what chromeluv is saying. The guy is good, but the hardcore soundtrack and the LEO HATHAWAY headliner make it kind of funny.

With that soundtrack and intro I was expecting to see something like an M1 Abrams catching air over a sand dune while firing its gun on the move.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 8:37:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 8:48:43 PM EDT
[#22]
man I need a 12 ga. :(
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 8:50:30 PM EDT
[#23]
like I said before, emphasized and bolded, the video is extremely cheesey and borderline superhero ghey.

You guys jumped way to quick over the line with all the immature name calling and cursing. I never said this guy was a hack or not well versed at what he was doing, but to quote below..

"LEO HATHAWAY" I see what chromeluv is saying. The guy is good, but the hardcore soundtrack and the LEO HATHAWAY headliner make it kind of funny.

With that soundtrack and intro I was expecting to see something like an M1 Abrams catching air over a sand dune while firing its gun on the move.

I was expecting alot more intensity to the video considering the intro and closing..

The music and credits reminded me of the blackwater video with simplydynamic going to work, or army recruiting video, instead I got a guy just showing shotgun reloading.

hell, bigbore's glock abuse thread and simple full-auto videos were alot more entertaining and more deserving of the "high speed, low drag" intro and closing..

So, like I said before, I vote "ghey" on the video.

eta: some of the "older" crowd needs to read the above...
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 6:53:27 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 9:13:49 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 9:30:51 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Ye Olde School fast reloads with 1897s...

www.arizonashooting.com/uploads/vids/

AWESOME!!!
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 11:53:46 AM EDT
[#27]
thats more like it...straight and to the point. no cheese effect in those videos..
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 12:11:14 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Ye Olde School fast reloads with 1897s...

www.arizonashooting.com/uploads/vids/

That's fucking fast, the Leo Hathaway vid just seemed real kewl with all the rock & roll in the BG, granted he's faster than me, but he ain't got shit of those arizonashooting.com vids.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 2:20:04 PM EDT
[#29]
Will someone plesae explain the load one, shoot one tactic to me.  I just dont see the point, there is too much movement, and only having one hand on the shotgun, not to mention the time that it takes to load them one at a time.   Why not just stuff 4 or 6 and just keep stuffing every 4 or 6 rounds to never have an empty shotgun.  I guess that I am just not comfortable having an empty shotgun in a gunfight.

Andy
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 2:42:58 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 3:34:25 PM EDT
[#31]
More skills you have to use the better. If you don't have time to go to your sidearm, or your sidearm is empty or hopelessly jammed already you'll need to load your primary.

And I think the Cowboys use the manual reload to make it more fair to the guys that use double barrels. Hard for a breach shooter to beat a pump gun user when more than 2 rounds need to be fired. I've seen it doen in a vid though.

Guy with the breach fired both barrels at once and reloaded really fast and then fired both again.

Forget his time but it beat the pump by a good amount.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:05:35 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
The cowboy guys in the videos I linked to, do it because I believe they are sometimes required to only start with 1 or 2 rounds in the gun per the rules of the sport.

It's to keep the pump guys level with the double barrel guys.

Per rules you have to use a gun made during the period (Up to 1900 maybe) so those 1897 shotguns qualify but it leaves the double barrel guys at a disadvatage. To keep it even they start with only 2 loaded and then have to reload after that.

I would like to see vid of the double barrel guys, they are just as fast.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:12:47 PM EDT
[#33]
Now those guys are fast Hathaway was just smooth,  something that anybody willing to put the time in can  learn.  Probably a little faster than I can do.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:02:26 PM EDT
[#34]
I wonder what type of loads they're using. Light target loads? Full power defense buckshot loads? Slugs? What gauge: 12 or 20 or smaller? Gun games are not real world. Go into combat with your shotgun shells 3/4 of the way out of your belt or buttstock shell holder and see if they're still there when you need 'em. Stand tall and reload your shells single shot and shoot each one before loading the next and see who's standing at the end. I'm impressed with the speed but question the combat value.

GL
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:48:13 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 12:00:17 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

[edited quotation]

The guns are 12 gauge.  People generally use bird shot for competitions simply because it is cheaper, and most matches don't allow buckshot.

I don't shoot cowboy action, but you would be hardpressed to find 3 gunners that can load as fast as those guys can either.

I played at Cowboy Action shooting for a while. Too many of the shooters want to win, not mimic a real gunfight. So there was .38 special or downloaded .45 Colt in the revolvers and lever actions, and in the shotguns there was target loads or light target loads in a 20 gauge or 12 gauge, along with way too many 1897s, and far too few double barrels. It's a game. It's about being fast. Not about simulating a real gunfight. Some people like gun games. I'd rather simulate real life.

GL
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 12:16:22 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 1:37:14 AM EDT
[#38]
"If I had decided to quit because I'd never win, I would have gained nothing."

Excellent point.

GL
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 1:51:32 AM EDT
[#39]
not that I could reload as fast as him but how is he when someone is shooting back?
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:58:25 AM EDT
[#40]

I'd rather simulate real life.

Im a fan of living life, and playing games. CAA has no value in real world tactical training, but it seems hella fun. Games are games, training is training.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:52:58 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Games are games, training is training.

True Dat....
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:56:50 AM EDT
[#42]
still, a pretty slow rate of fire
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 9:02:29 PM EDT
[#43]
A slow rate, until you consider that with each shot, you are releasing nine .32 caliber rounds. That kicks it up a notch.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:38:12 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Vid of Tom in action

This is slightly off the topic of quick reloads, but in line with the topic of fast and accurate shotgun shooting as referred to in the above entry. I was checking out the Winchester ammo site tonight and came across this news report saying that "Patrick Flanigan, the first Winchester firearm sponsored exhibition shooter since the legendary Herb Parsons, became the first person in recorded history to throw eleven clay targets into the air and break each one with an individual shot before hitting the ground. Patrick duplicated the old record of ten targets on numerous occasions; however, the eleven target goal was an elusive and difficult barrier to break." Here is a link to his website where you can watch his shooting.

GL
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 7:31:10 AM EDT
[#45]
Back in the late 70's and or early 80's we were taught in our LE classes, to cup the round in your off hand, roll it under the receiver, pushing the round against the receiver, and push it in the ejection port with your finger tips. It wasn't terribly fast, but reduced the chance of dropping a round under stress.

The idea was, you could load one round to cover a suspect, then load the magazine with the off hand while keeping the gun on target. Still works pretty well.

Speedloading like this was never taught, or practiced. Times have changed.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 2:08:16 PM EDT
[#46]
very cool to watch, but it is not gun fighting.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 2:55:30 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:18:27 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
I read these comments like "it's not gun fighting" and just get annoyed...obviously it isn't gun fighting as no one is shooting back.  The implication though is they are doing something "tactically" unsound.

Speed is a tactic...the first one to disable his oponent through accurately delivered gun fire is the victor in a gun fight.  Mindset of course comes into play and is a component of the classic combat triad; Mindset, Marksmanship, and Gun Handling, but the ability to shoot fast and accurately is never a bad thing.

Perfectly said.  Not only are they learning speed, but they are also getting a lot of repetition, which leads to a sense of comfort with the weapon and thus a second nature reaction in a gunfight.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:32:28 PM EDT
[#49]
Real nice...perhaps they should try it with loads made for defensive purposes instead of busting clay birds
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:54:17 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top