Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/27/2005 10:37:02 PM EDT
My friend and I went shooting today so I took along my fathers Remi 870 with it's 26" barrel and 10 shot tube with a Knoxx Spec Ops stock attached.

Set everything up, loaded a shell, pulled the trigger... I shit you not I thought the shell malfunctioned and fired soft or didn't fire at all. I hardly felt anything. I tried again and got the check slap people talk about. I have found that the problem is that I was pulling too hard into my shoulder. I merly needed to steady it against my arm in order to fire. After I got that down I went though 10 rounds fo slug like I was firing an AR15. It was freakin awesome!

Every person that tried it asked who makes it, what it's called, where I got it... I have probabaly sold 5 of these things today for Knoxx, so I am expecting a check in the mai... Nevermind.

Seriously, if you are thinking of picking one up, DO IT!
Link Posted: 11/27/2005 10:52:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Did you buy the oddball "3/16 ball-headed extended length hex wrench" it takes to install it?

I was all set to buy and pay the $7.95 additional for the wrench, then I saw shipping! $14.95 to ship me a wrench?

So...bad design to require an essentially single use wrench, THEN rip me off for shipping. Nope, sorry. And what is with the sharp recoil to your forward hand (they warn you) takes if you are using a Surefire fore end?

Also, read the videos on their site use compensated shotguns?

Not quite ready for primetime for my 2 cents.

ETA: Why not just include the needed wrench?  Surefire (forend tool), Crimson Trace (small hex wrenches), Leupold (torx wrenches), and many others, include the less than common tools needed to install and use their accessories.
Link Posted: 11/28/2005 12:02:35 AM EDT
[#2]
I just used a regular long 3/16" hex wrench. Didn't need a round end.

The sharp recoil to the forward hand is caused by the gun moving backwards about an ich into the pistol grip of the stock. But as long as you don't have a death grip on the forward stock/grip I don't see what it would do anymore damage to a SF light than holding it too hard with a normal stock. You just have to relax and let the stock take the kick. The more you fight the more you feel.

The shotgun I had was not compensated at all. So even if the vid on thier site shows a ported barrel it didn't seem to be any different from what I felt.

I have to admit, thier vid is dumb. It make them look like they are trying to pawn off something when it really doesn't need it. They would have been better off, IMHO, going to getting a cheap 870 and using that. The porting does make it look dishonest.

But that doesn't change the fact that this stock is not coming off my gun, and I'm ordering another for my mossberg.
Link Posted: 11/28/2005 12:14:41 AM EDT
[#3]
i also have the spec ops stock and i love it. no more bracing yourself when you pull the trigger. i went thru 6 slug rapidly and didnt even feel it. it feels like someone is slapping you on the shoulder. but you do have to figure out how to use it with a vert grip on the forend. i broke mine the second time i pulled the trigger, but i got mine off ebay and it was cheap. i am looking forward to getting another remington just so i can put a KNOXX breachers grip on it.
Link Posted: 11/28/2005 6:26:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Yeh I was looking at one of those and the sidewinder conversion after my reloading killed me in a rolling thunder match this weekend. I am sure I can get the stock installed but cant get the tube off the mossburg. No point in doing it if I cant put the sidewinder on it, my benelli has great recoil dampening.
Link Posted: 11/28/2005 8:25:41 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Did you buy the oddball "3/16 ball-headed extended length hex wrench" it takes to install it?

I was all set to buy and pay the $7.95 additional for the wrench, then I saw shipping! $14.95 to ship me a wrench?

So...bad design to require an essentially single use wrench, THEN rip me off for shipping. Nope, sorry. And what is with the sharp recoil to your forward hand (they warn you) takes if you are using a Surefire fore end?

You can hang on to your two cents. We charge $6 to ship a wrench that ups charges us $5 to ship. The $14 shipping charge is the maximum we would charge on any one item. As several of our customers have said, the wrench is not required but does makes the installation and removal easier.

We have taped new videos without compensated barrels. Hans Vang is a good friend to Knoxx. He honored us by performing his VangComp magic on our SHOT Show and test shotgun barrels.

I'm sorry that your experiences with manufacturers has been so negative. Not everyone is out to rip you off or cheat you. I suggest that you try the SpecOps and if your are not satidfied that it does what we say it does...return it for a full refund. No hassles no arguments. We try to make it as easy as possible.

What say you?

CaCrusin

www.knoxx.com
Link Posted: 11/29/2005 6:00:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Just go to Sears or any other tool store and buy the allen wrench, its no big deal.
This stock truly makes my duty 870 fun to shoot!  
Link Posted: 11/29/2005 8:05:48 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You can hang on to your two cents. We charge $6 to ship a wrench that ups charges us $5 to ship. The $14 shipping charge is the maximum we would charge on any one item. As several of our customers have said, the wrench is not required but does makes the installation and removal easier.

We have taped new videos without compensated barrels. Hans Vang is a good friend to Knoxx. He honored us by performing his VangComp magic on our SHOT Show and test shotgun barrels.

I'm sorry that your experiences with manufacturers has been so negative. Not everyone is out to rip you off or cheat you. I suggest that you try the SpecOps and if your are not satidfied that it does what we say it does...return it for a full refund. No hassles no arguments. We try to make it as easy as possible.

What say you?

CaCrusin

www.knoxx.com

Damnit! I just bought a new 870P, and I guess now I have to buy this damn stock. Everyone loves this thing! (When will the Powerpack be available?)
Link Posted: 11/29/2005 10:09:04 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

What say you?

CaCrusin

www.knoxx.com

Damnit! I just bought a new 870P, and I guess now I have to buy this damn stock. Everyone loves this thing! (When will the Powerpack be available?)

You gotta love it when the manufacturor responds to threads about their products. It really says a lot about their customer service when they participate in the board.
Link Posted: 11/29/2005 3:34:00 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
You gotta love it when the manufacturor responds to threads about their products. It really says a lot about their customer service when they participate in the board.

+1, it's great to see a manufacturer with that kind of confidence in their product.
Link Posted: 11/29/2005 3:41:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Anyone HERE who has a surefire and one of these buttstocks?  What's your opinion?

Link Posted: 11/29/2005 4:57:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Here's my set up with Surefire, no problems here, I have no idea what sort of problems others are having?  Sounds like operator head space to me!
Link Posted: 11/29/2005 7:05:26 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Anyone HERE who has a surefire and one of these buttstocks?  What's your opinion?

That's the set-up on my 1300.  I have full confidence in that gun to do what it's intended to do.
Link Posted: 11/29/2005 7:59:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 11/29/2005 8:05:01 PM EDT
[#14]
870police magnum = $350
Vang Comp Backbored/ported Barrel = $270
Spec Ops Stock = $130
Surefire Light = $150
Good Training/Range Time = depends..

knowing that your shotgun can handle anything...priceless
Link Posted: 11/29/2005 8:18:55 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
We have taped new videos without compensated barrels.

When will they be posted, the vid up now is the same old one.
Link Posted: 11/29/2005 8:27:22 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

ouchie! I had to re-learn the hold.
Link Posted: 11/29/2005 9:39:05 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
How much difference in felt recoil in the SpecOps vs. Compstock?

I have both. They claim tha the compstock is about 50% and I beleive it. The spec ops notciably better
but I wont go to say 40% better.
Link Posted: 11/30/2005 12:21:58 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I've got a SureFire on an FN PS with the CopStock.  I was continuously slapped in the knuckle until I re-learned to operate the action.  Purely operator error.
Link Posted: 11/30/2005 1:05:27 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 11/30/2005 6:53:52 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
We have taped new videos without compensated barrels.

When will they be posted, the vid up now is the same old one.

They are being edited and assembled now. My best guess for posting is late next week but it could be sooner.

CaCrusin

www.knoxx.com
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 6:31:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Just ordered Spec Ops stock for my 590.

Total Cost = $155.90

I rarely shoot my 12 gauge, mostly because of the recoil.   Maybe this will change things.

If it doesnt suck, I might get a SureFire light and start to treat it like my AK's and AR's and actually stock ammo for it.

Link Posted: 12/2/2005 8:01:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 10:37:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Like I said I probably sold a few at the range. put a link up to some ebay auctions at my normal forum...

Thinking of taking it to the local trap range just to let people try it.
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 6:14:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Not trying to ad-stomp, as I am sure this stock does what everyone says.  But come on....a 12 gauge shotty does not kick that much, sheesh.  Next in line, the hydraulic recoil reduction kit for the 1911.
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 7:34:42 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Not trying to ad-stomp, as I am sure this stock does what everyone says.  But come on....a 12 gauge shotty does not kick that much, sheesh.  Next in line, the hydraulic recoil reduction kit for the 1911.

you need to try this when shooting all day or 3 and 3 1/2 shells for a while
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 11:49:27 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

If your shoulder isn't sore you aren't shooting enough.
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 5:23:40 PM EDT
[#27]
as posted by BiggerStick47:

If your shoulder isn't sore you aren't shooting enough.

+1- I've seen big guys whine when they had to reshoot their quals on the shotgun with slugs.  Another one had to shoot 15 times before he qualified, whoooweee, was he ever a grouch!!!
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 9:17:34 AM EDT
[#28]
Serious questions here...

I've seen and held the FN/Winchester "military" shotgun with the faux-AR15 stock and was horrified at the high comb.  Even with the high mounted ghost ring sights, the only way to get your face lower enough to see through it was to squish my face WAY down on the stock.  It was so far down that I had direct contact with my high cheekbone on the stock.  Firing from such a position would have been a painful reminder of what poorly fitting shotgun stocks do to you.

The only possible way that gun could have been set up would be with a high mounted optic of some sort like an EOTech.  

I have known a couple of guys who have AR stocks on pump shotguns and none of them have it for any reason other than the cool factor.  The ones I know don't have ghost rings but just a bead front.  They haven't yet figured out that their pattern is hitting well high because of the position of their head.

So... why this stock?  What is the purpose?  Is this stock any lower in the comb than the FN/Winchester stock?  Am I really missing something great here by sticking to conventional stocks?
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 6:13:37 AM EDT
[#29]
Well, I don't know about y'all, but I ordered one of these stocks this weekend.  Maybe I'll get a chance to answer those questions cliffy109 has...

But I'm really looking forward to calming down those slug's recoil on my shotgun.  Hey, if it doesn't work, then I'll put the old stock back on it.

However, Knoxx must be doing something right if Remington just picked them up to supply stocks to their police packaged shotguns...

Cool factor or not, I think there's some merit to these stocks.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 6:27:03 AM EDT
[#30]
I've been thinking about buying one of their CompStocks for my 870. Say what you will, but I've handed my 870 to others at the range that were teasing me for complaining about the recoil, and without fail they handed it back before emptying the gun.  It flat kicks like a mule (my other 870 doesn't, but it's a "trap" gun). Part of the problem is I have a Speedfeed stock on it and the recoil pad is too hard, but I think the barrel is the majority of the problem. It patterns well and otherwise runs great, so if I can reduce the recoil that would be great.  
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 10:04:19 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Serious questions here...

I've seen and held the FN/Winchester "military" shotgun with the faux-AR15 stock and was horrified at the high comb.  Even with the high mounted ghost ring sights, the only way to get your face lower enough to see through it was to squish my face WAY down on the stock.  It was so far down that I had direct contact with my high cheekbone on the stock.  Firing from such a position would have been a painful reminder of what poorly fitting shotgun stocks do to you.

The only possible way that gun could have been set up would be with a high mounted optic of some sort like an EOTech.  

I have known a couple of guys who have AR stocks on pump shotguns and none of them have it for any reason other than the cool factor.  The ones I know don't have ghost rings but just a bead front.  They haven't yet figured out that their pattern is hitting well high because of the position of their head.

So... why this stock?  What is the purpose? Is this stock any lower in the comb than the FN/Winchester stock?   Am I really missing something great here by sticking to conventional stocks?

Yes, the FN/Win is a straight stock. The Spec Ops angles down.

I had no problem hitting what I aimed at with the first shell. So my point of aim was the same as with the standard funiture.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 10:54:29 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Yes, the FN/Win is a straight stock. The Spec Ops angles down.

I had no problem hitting what I aimed at with the first shell. So my point of aim was the same as with the standard funiture.

Ah.  Good to hear.  I still don't find anything appealing about this configuation, but at least they addressed this issue.  To each his own though.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top