Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/29/2005 8:58:42 AM EDT
Anyone tried them yet?  I just saw them on several websites and ordered a bunch since they were well under $2/box.

Thanks in advance,
Eric
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 11:14:06 AM EDT
[#1]
I got a couple boxes. I wasn't terribly impressed. They kick pretty hard, and don't pattern particularly well.
S&B 9 pellet loads kick just a little more ( or possibly the same ) and pattern a little better. Hornady's
TAP reduced recoil loads kick quite a bit less and pattern much better. At 25 yards all 8 pellets from
the TAP ammo will stay withing an 18"x24" posterboard every time. That's with my cylinder bore Benelli
Nova. I might try the Federal reduced recoil loads, but so far I'm very happy with the Hornady.

Sam
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 12:18:13 PM EDT
[#2]
I've shot quite a bit of it. It's good blasting fodder, but I'll second sambeaux's comments. I much prefer the Winchester Ranger low-recoil 00 for light kick and good patterns, and I've been able to find it pretty cheap, locally.  The TAP is also on my short list to try.

Link Posted: 8/30/2005 9:15:06 AM EDT
[#3]
They shot fine out of my Winchester Defender 18" IC choke.  3 1/2" group at 12 feet, 6" group at 12 yards, and an 8" group at 25 yards.

When I tried them in an NEF with 22" barrel and modified choke, I started getting vertical strings.  

I'm going to try some of the plated reduced recoil shells from Federal.  I think it was ammoman.com that had those.

The other option is to install an SVL LimbSaver recoil pad and then just shoot the full dram stuff.  Those Remington "bulk packs" that Walmart sells shoot real nice.

2guntom
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 11:14:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 8:52:40 PM EDT
[#5]
We shall see how my newest Mossy likes the el-cheapo PMC 00 low-recoil loads.  If nothing else, it is a cheaper round to practice more often with versus using birshot and not having any clue as to where your pellets are going or if the target will fall over or not.

I also picked up some Hornady TAP rounds and am anxious to try them as well.  I've always had really good luck with Federal reduced 00 loads and Remington reduced load slugs out of both of my 590's.

Eric
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 11:47:46 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
tom;

Is that a misprint or are you really getting 8 inch Buckshot groups at 25 yards with the same load and shotgun that you get 6 inch groups with at 12 yards? If so, that is impressive!

That's not a misprint.  I measured the group/pattern with a tapemeasure and counted the holes to make sure all lead balls were accounted for.  The shooting distances were also measured, not estimated.

I didn't get to shoot very much that day because the rain chased me in.  I need to re-test all the data I recorded that day.  I only fired that one PMC round from 25 yards with the Defender.  All other shots were different ammo, guns, or distances.  You always get that weird shot (statistical anomoly) every now and then so I need to verify it.

2gun
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top