Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/10/2005 9:33:13 PM EDT
I'm going to purchase a shorter barrel for my Remington 1100, 12 gauge.  I'd like to hear any drawbacks or advantages of purchasing a cantilever barrel to mount an Eotech, Aimpoint or some other red-dot type sight.  Would this be an OK setup?  Since I'm in the market for a shorter barrel, I thought it might be better to buy one with a cantilever instead of having the receiver drilled and a picatinny rail installed.  Also, anyone ever seen an 1100 Remington that has been nickel-plated?  My Dad took this gun in on a trade before he passed away last year, he had a small gunshop here in Arkansas.  ARKAR
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 9:25:36 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm currently hunting deer in New England with an 870 Synthetic Super Slug with a Cantilever barrel.  They don't offer this model in an 870 anymore, but the Sportsman 11-87 is the equivalent in the autoloader.

I've got a  Bushnell Trophy Red dot that I purchased from Cabelas and it works very well.  While I also own a EOTech for my AR, I don't think you have to spend that much money on a hunting shotgun.  Yes, I use my AR, but my 870/Bushnell combo gets a lot more beat up so I wanted a cheaper scope in case I drop it from a tree stand, etc.

Quick tip with any red dot is to sight it in every time you drop the gun.  I missed a good buck last year after breaking through some ice and knocking the gun pretty hard against some ice.  The electronics are somewhat sensitive and I learned this the hard way.

Finally, I'm sure someone could nickel-plate your gun but why?  You wouldn't want to nickel plate a hunting weapon and if you really wanted one you could buy a Remington Marine
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 1:37:23 PM EDT
[#2]
CFFUTS23, thanks for the reply and info.  The gun is already nickel-plated, it was taken in by my dad on a trade a few years ago.  I'm not going to hunt with the gun, I just wanted to "tacticalize"(I'm not sure it can be with that nice shiny nickel plate on it) it and I've already decided to have the 30 inch barrel cut-down to 20 inches.  The gun was free to me so I figured I'd accessorize it, since it already has some serious "bling-bling" going on with the nickel plate.  I look at it this way, it's not going to rust!!  Anyway, after I get 'er done I'll post some pics.  ARKAR
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 4:47:22 PM EDT
[#3]
My barrel with the cant. mount is fully rifled and uses the sabot slugs.  Does anyone make that barrel in smooth bore or with removable choke?

R.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top