Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/1/2005 8:00:35 AM EDT
Anybody ever compare the two.Which reduces recoil the best?
Thanks
43E1P
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 8:44:41 AM EDT
[#1]
I haven't used a compstock but I do have an A3 recoil pad on my Remington 870.  The thing is very good- probably cuts recoil by about 30% or so if I was to tag a number to it.  The only complaint anyone ever had is my brother did not like the "squishiness" as the pad warped a bit to one side with his shooting posture.  On the other hand, he can "micky mouse" slugs at 20 metes (three in a group, two high on each side like "ears").  I got mine for $30 from Brownells, mainly because I wanted to keep the original walnut buttstock.

The Compstock is more expensive ($80-100) but from everything people have said it is even more effective than the R3 (50%+ recoil reduction from what I understand), and many guys will not ever go back to a "normal" stock once they have a Compstock installed.  Knoxx also has a rep on the baord and they have great customer service from everything I have heard.

IMHO, it is mailny do you want to be able to keep a nice wood stock and a little less expensive, or go all out and get the best.

I am sure Biggerhammer will chime in here, he loves the Compstock and can give you a lot of good reasons to go with it.

Link Posted: 8/2/2005 5:38:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Dawg 180,

You mean I'm getting predictable eh??????

O.K. My Two Cents worth....

Best Damn Money I EVER spent on a firearm accessory!

I have used the R-3 pads on other guns, but the Knoxx Comp Stock Does reduce recoil significantly more (Breaks the force over a slightly longer distance and time frame for more recoil reduction but you would never notice the movement of the stock except for a slight tickling of your chin.  Compared to getting whacked on the shoulder it is a VERY good trade off.

The R-3 is cheaper and will work with your existing stock (assuming it takes a standard Remington Buttplate), but the Knoxx Comp Stock has the benefit that is is Hogue Rubber Covered so it is very slip resistant no matter what.

To each their own!

BIGGER_HAMMER

B.T.W. Dawg - Your Ex-Arkie 870 is still THE most amazing Restoration I have E-V-E-R seen!  Great Work and I hope your 870 keeps on Chugging along!  Great Work There Dawg!
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 6:09:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the info.
43E1P
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 7:15:40 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Dawg 180,

You mean I'm getting predictable eh??????

O.K. My Two Cents worth....

Best Damn Money I EVER spent on a firearm accessory!

I have used the R-3 pads on other guns, but the Knoxx Comp Stock Does reduce recoil significantly more (Breaks the force over a slightly longer distance and time frame for more recoil reduction but you would never notice the movement of the stock except for a slight tickling of your chin.  Compared to getting whacked on the shoulder it is a VERY good trade off.

The R-3 is cheaper and will work with your existing stock (assuming it takes a standard Remington Buttplate), but the Knoxx Comp Stock has the benefit that is is Hogue Rubber Covered so it is very slip resistant no matter what.

To each their own!

BIGGER_HAMMER

B.T.W. Dawg - Your Ex-Arkie 870 is still THE most amazing Restoration I have E-V-E-R seen!  Great Work and I hope your 870 keeps on Chugging along!  Great Work There Dawg!

Thank you sir for the compliment.  The total cost for the entire project inlcuding the gun, resotration supplies,  and transfer was $190! I knew I did a good job when I showed it to my dad (a professional woodworker and amatuer metalworker) and he said "damn son, that is a fine job you did there!"

And chug along it does.  I just fired 40 slugs through it last weekend.  It shoots a bit high for me, but fist sized 5 shot groups at 25 yards with rifled slugs through a banged up cylinder choke barrel with a bead sight.  Of course I let my brother fire 5 rounds and he made Mickey Mouse's head right on the bullseye- three rounds in a tight circle, one high left and right for Mickey's ears- there always has to be some joker who can shoot your own gun better than you!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top