Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/31/2005 10:08:58 PM EDT
Never had one and I don’t know anybody with one.  So set me straight.  New or used I don’t care, it’ll just be something to throw shot down range, just a fun gun.  Something I could trick out if the bug hit me.  Just give me some thoughts and opinions. (like I need to ask for opinions on a gun forum)  So Guys, here’s your chance to work in a gun shop.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 10:26:34 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Something I could trick out if the bug hit me.

What would 'tricking out' entail?
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 10:30:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Back up home defense at the most (just bare minimum at that), I doubt it'll ever go hunting with me, penty of good pump guns for that.  I'd just like to get some range time with a autoloader.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 1:22:16 AM EDT
[#3]
If you are going for an autochucker... I'd get something of good quality.

Short of my beloved Browning A5, I really like what Benelli and Beretta have put out.  Shot a few of both and find them to be great.  However, you'll hear opinions for and against both.

Also, I ALMOST got a Winchester Super X2 (almost exactly the same as a Browing Gold IIRC)), only reason I didn't was I decided on another pump gun instead.  

You hear good and bad about EVERYTHING, so you almost just have to try yourself with the loads you plan to shoot.

Just my $.02

Gundraw
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 4:16:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 1:45:36 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Never had one and I don’t know anybody with one.

I am sorry to hear that, I am a big fan of semi auto shotguns, I think everyone should own a couple autoloaders.

I have Remington, Browning, Beretta, and Benelli shotguns. Beretta and Benellis are my favorite. They are recoil operated which means they are less prone to jamming...however will have more kick than a gas operated shotgun.

I should also point out that semi auto will need to be cleaned just like any other firearm and if a shot gun is well cleaned it should not give you any problems.  

If you looking for any semi auto shotgun there are many to choose from, but if you are looking for a well made shotgun for HD, and the range look at a Beretta 1201 FP. I have three of them, they are light weight 18 and 20" barrels and will hold 7 shots. Fully loaded the 1201 FP weighs less than a Remington 1100. And has a price tag around $500.

My other favorite brand is Benelli. Have 5 of them. M1 Super 90s will come in 18 1/2 to 30" barrels.

Again these are light weight shotguns that can hold 7 or 8 shots with extended tubes. Great for HD and hunting. Benellis have vent rib or plain barrels and can come with or with out ghost ring sights.
Another plus to the M1Super 90 is that it will come with 5 choke tubes so if you ever did want to take up hunting or trap/sporting clays you can.

Benelli shotguns are more spendy than other shotguns. But if you buy them used like I do, you can find them for $550 to 650. And they are work horses.

Link Posted: 8/1/2005 2:18:02 PM EDT
[#6]

Technical data :
The FN Self-Loading Police Shotgun offers the soft-recoil and the reliability of a gas-operated auto-loading action. Standard features include a M1913 rail with precision front and rear ghost ring shighting system. Rear ghost ring sight is removable for the use of optics. Incorporates the Invector choke system (cylinder and improved cylinder chokes) for accurate performance with rifled slugs when needed. Comes standard with two gas pistons (heavy & light loads) for optimum performance in payload delivery. Corrosion resistant finish (manganese phosphate on steel components for added durability.) Anodizing on aluminum. • Caliber 12 gauge with 3 inch chamber
• Weight w. empty mag 3,770 kg (8.32 lbs)
• Overall length 109 cm (43 in)
• Barrel lenght 560 mm (22 in)
• Magazine capacity 8 (7 + 1 in chamber)
• Sights Front sight and ghost ring sight
• Operating principle Gas operated, semi-automatic
• Finish Matt finishing on barrel, receiver and bolt

Because your FN Tactical Police Shotgun....Needs someone it can talk to and relate with, on the same level, in the safe.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 2:28:43 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm a BIG fan of the Remy 1100 CM, and I switched from a Benelli. Mine has been rock solid. Shoots dry and dirty as well as lubed and clean. Gas seals every couple of thousand rounds. Very easy on the shoulder, especially if you go through a few hundred rounds in a day. Lots of aftermarket parts if you need them. While Remy has discontinued them, they show up regularly on the gun boards.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 2:31:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 4:59:11 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
You don't know anyone with a semi-automatic shotgun? Whatya live in Manhatten?

Nope, but the area I'm from water fowl hunting is not to big, upland game bird is, and pumps are king around here, high paying jobs are slim in a big rural county, so people go with pumps, even single shot break action isn't looked down at around here.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 5:02:22 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

If you're  a cheapskate you could get a Saiga. Those are pretty inexpensive.

Tell me how 'inexpensive' might they be? Considering that they aren't imported any more and there is a pretty fearsome secondary buying market for them?

Furthermore, I would suggest that you learn what the hell you are talking about before you make a comment. The fact that they are inexpensive means nothing. They are a semi-automatic shotgun that accepts a detachable magazine and is AK reliable.
If they cost three times as much, i'd still own them as a weapon that offers something totally unique to what else is out there right now.

Ignorance is unflattering.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 5:08:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 5:35:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 5:37:44 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Because your FN Tactical Police Shotgun....Needs someone it can talk to and relate with, on the same level, in the safe.

Nope, I'd have to keep them seperated, you know how much trouble 1 FN Shotgun gets into, I'm not sure if I could handle paternal twins.  

Boys will be boys!!

Link Posted: 8/1/2005 5:45:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top