Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/28/2005 4:25:35 AM EDT
Here is my problem.  I bought some of the walmart federal 100 round packs of 12 guage shells.  They were marked light target load.  One is 3 would FTE. So I thought it was because it was a light load and tried some remington field load.  They all worked perfectly.

Last week my local shop what selling 150 round packs of Federal field load.  So I bought 2 of them thinking that since they were field load that they would cycle.  Didn't happen. They have all falled to eject.  

The gun has only been shot about 30 times.  Is there any chance the it will be able to cycle the Federals after a few hundred round of the Remington shells?  I know it has a gas system, but  I was thinking that if the action wore in it would be smoother and take less gas to cycle.  

Has anyone else had a similar problem?  Is there anything I can do or should I send it back?

Link Posted: 7/28/2005 6:42:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 4:35:20 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a couple of items you might check:  

First of all, check the alignment of the gas rings.  Depending on the fit, they may be hiding up in the barrel extension and you will have to remove the barrel to get to them.  The two mating rings are each split for expansion during operation.  The split sections of the rings should NOT align with each other for best operation.  At the light end of the functional ammo spectrum, aligned rings seem to allow too much gas to pass the rings at the gap.  While we are here, make sure they are stacked correctly (picture in the manual).  I don't think that you can close the action if they are upside down, but easy enough to check.

Second, if the rings drop out of the barrel extension when you operate the action manually, they MIGHT be too loose.  I'm not a gunsmith or engineer, but I have two barrels for my 11-87, both relatively new, and the inside dimension of the barrel extension is not consistent.  I have two sets of rings now.  The set that runs well in the larger extension won't even fit in the tighter extension.  Until someone presents a better explanation, I believe they have a quality control problem with an otherwise great design.

Okay, third item unlikely on a new gun, but check anyway.  The rubber o-ring gas seal should be in good shape.  I suggest buying a few and keeping them handy as they are often damaged when the barrel is removed for cleaning.

Hope this helps - L
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top