Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/17/2005 9:43:21 AM EDT
There are a lot of nifty conversion kits for AR15 stocks, etc out now, but I'm just looking for a very basic setup for my Remington 870.  I want a pistol grip, and length of pull around 11" or so.  No picatinny rails, ammo storage, etc required.  
Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 4:09:09 PM EDT
[#1]
The new youth model firearms are being produced with a 12" LOP (formerly 13"). Contact a dealer and see if they carry the new youth model stocks, and verify with Remington or another reliable source that the youth stock will fit a standard receiver.
Link Posted: 5/17/2005 7:50:48 PM EDT
[#2]
good luck!
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 2:27:31 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
There are a lot of nifty conversion kits for AR15 stocks, etc out now, but I'm just looking for a very basic setup for my Remington 870.  I want a pistol grip, and length of pull around 11" or so.  No picatinny rails, ammo storage, etc required.  
Any suggestions?

The Knoxx SpecOps has a minimum LOP of 11.25 inches with the rubber pad removed. It also dramatically reduces recoil. See for yourself:

SpecOps Video

You can use it with Ghost Rings, front bead or optics. It is not cheap at $129.95 but well worth the money.

CaCrusin
www.knoxx.com
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 3:32:05 PM EDT
[#4]
you might get a youth model plastic  and cut it down.  

I've cut down my 2 mossbergs this way to get a LOP of 13" with the pad.  One is a 590 with the speedfeed stock that now holds one shell per side.  The speedfeed stock seem to be well made.

I don't think you could cut down a full length plastic stock to 11 inchs without have problems with the recoil pad screws.

Why so short?
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 3:59:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/18/2005 5:41:22 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
you might get a youth model plastic  and cut it down.  

I've cut down my 2 mossbergs this way to get a LOP of 13" with the pad.  One is a 590 with the speedfeed stock that now holds one shell per side.  The speedfeed stock seem to be well made.

I don't think you could cut down a full length plastic stock to 11 inchs without have problems with the recoil pad screws.

Why so short?

I was thinking about cutting down the speedfeed III I have on my 870, but was nervous to do it. How much can you take off of this particular stock? It seems WAY too long for me as it is now.
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 2:31:05 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

I was thinking about cutting down the speedfeed III I have on my 870, but was nervous to do it. How much can you take off of this particular stock? It seems WAY too long for me as it is now.

I'm not sure about that particular stock (i don't have an 870) but i've taken off slightly more than an inch with no problem.  The limiting factor seems to be the recoil pad screws.  In both cases i had to remove the orignal holes from the stock posts but was left with enough of the remaining post to drill for new shorter screws.  On the factory recoil pad on the 500 after taking it down to accomodate the reduced diameter of the butt end of the now-shortened stock i found that there was a small metal reinforcement plate in the pad that just started to peek out.  No such problem with the SF pad as it is solid rubber.  I do recommend that you mount the pad on the stock wrap the aft end of the stock in tape and reduce the size of the pad that way (i used a belt sander).
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 3:40:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the advice!
Link Posted: 5/19/2005 7:43:32 AM EDT
[#9]

Are you VERY certain on that LOP? That is a VERY short stock for most adults...even females.

No, I'm not sure at all.  I'm a longtime AR user, I have my stock collapsed to about a 11" LOP and I habitually use a squared off "fighting stance" so I figured it'd be about right for a shotgun as well.  As for shotguns, I'm new to them and all I know for sure is that my 870 stock is WAAAAY to long for me to mount comfortably, forces me into a bladed stance, and almost puts the foreend too far away for me to operate it positively.
I'm 5'6", fwiw.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top