Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/6/2003 8:35:41 AM EDT
What type of choke should you use to fire rifled slugs, if any? Could you use a full choke? I have a a smoothbore 870.
Also, for HD, what choke should be used for buckshot?
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 9:00:59 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a 1300 Defender with 18" Cylinder barrel. Free hand at 25 yards three remington rifled slugs almost touch when grouped. At the same distance 9 pellets of 00 buck are within 12 inches of each other. I do wish I had choke tubes so that I may experiment with different constrictions. But, this social shotgun falls under the KISS category.
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 3:41:06 PM EDT
[#2]
You should use a I.Cylinder choke for slugs and buck shot. I'd say thats the best, that way you can shoot farther than a plain Cylinder choke but you still have a good spread. Its not really a good idea to shoot slugs with a full choke. It could mess up you choke or barrel. Hope this helps
Jesse~
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 5:34:40 PM EDT
[#3]
For both slugs and buckshot improved cylinder is the all purpose choke. Using a full choke for slugs is not dangerous but might not give the best results. Having screw in chokes gives you choices. MIKE.
Link Posted: 10/6/2003 7:22:04 PM EDT
[#4]
What about a fixed modified choke?  I have a SBS 14" 590 in transfer that has a fixed modified barrel.  Most of the 590 LE line comes cylinder bore, but a few are modified.  I know it should be a good shooter with bird/buck shot, but I have to use slugs to qualify.
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 3:23:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Any gun with fixed chokes will be a crap-shoot as to shooting slugs. If I had my choice of what fixed choke to get I would pick improved cylinder for an all purpose choke for slug and buck. MIKE.
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 7:59:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Hi!

My arsenal of 870's is a strange thing...what prints well in one gun/barrel combination sprays all over the place in another. This has made me a firm believer of testing out all the various brands of rifled slugs on every gun/barrel combination I have. While a little expensive, you'll most likely be able to pick a definate winner with respect to brand of slug for your particular gun/barrel/choke combination. I have one 18 inch cylinder bore gun that prints approximately 4 inches at 100 yards with remington reduced recoil slugs, yet it shoots everything other brand of slug over 12 inches. One of my 14 inch guns prints brenneke slugs the best, and another prefers federal. Why? Who knows...but I will definately vouch for getting out and collecting your own empirical data...

Take care,

Brobee
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 12:26:47 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
For both slugs and buckshot improved cylinder is the all purpose choke. Using a full choke for slugs is not dangerous but might not give the best results. Having screw in chokes gives you choices. MIKE.

Hey Mike,
I have a double barrel 16 gauge. I shot slugs through it and it stretched the chokes out. Its so bad you can see the stretch marks. I'm sure its ok to shoot slugs though most full choke guns but I know from experience that it can be bad on some guns. So just don't make the same mistake I did.
Jesse~
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 2:43:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Jesse123, I hear what you are saying! That is why I said it was not dangerous but might not give the best results! BB is right, you have to try different slugs in different chokes and see what works. I own 15 shot guns, or those 15, 6 are 870's. None shoot slugs with the fixed choke barrels well enough for me. That is why I own 4 slug barrels for the 870's and one for the Mossy 500. Two are rifled and three are smooth. My new slug gun for this year is a 1100 fully rifled with a canterlever scope barrel. I have been shooting slugs out of full choke guns for thirty years, no problems, not accurate, but not a problem. MIKE.
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 2:53:52 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Jesse123, I hear what you are saying! That is why I said it was not dangerous but might not give the best results! BB is right, you have to try different slugs in different chokes and see what works. I own 15 shot guns, or those 15, 6 are 870's. None shoot slugs with the fixed choke barrels well enough for me. That is why I own 4 slug barrels for the 870's and one for the Mossy 500. Two are rifled and three are smooth. My new slug gun for this year is a 1100 fully rifled with a canterlever scope barrel. I have been shooting slugs out of full choke guns for thirty years, no problems, not accurate, but not a problem. MIKE.

Mike,
Does that mean I have a soft barrelled gun? Because the barrel did strech. Just wondering.
Jesse~
Link Posted: 10/7/2003 3:31:26 PM EDT
[#10]
I do not think so but that is a good question for Hadaway. I know many people have bulged barrels shooting sheel shot thru fixed full chokes. Again not dangerous but if it's a collectors item, one pissed off owner. You can't shoot slugs thru trukey chokes! Here is were we might be talking about danger! MIKE.
Link Posted: 10/8/2003 10:28:37 AM EDT
[#11]
okay well thanks for the info Mike.
Jesse~
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top