Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/6/2003 8:44:38 AM EDT
Does anyone have any experience with this stuff? I've been seeing it advertised for a couple of years and ran across some about a week ago.

I'm planning on designing a spacer that will fit on the carrier of a 870 so the short shells will function properly, but if the ammo is not well received, I don't want to waste my time.

Thanks,
Lee
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 10:59:56 AM EDT
[#1]
I have only read a little bit about this type of ammo.  Do you have any web links to info on it?

I have wondered how a buckshot load would compare to a 20 gauge load and if this may be a good load for small framed people, especially in a pump with a recoil reducer in the stock.

If so, then your adapter would make a 12 gauge friendly to small people, but easily converted back to 2 3/4 or larger shells.  This would be good for youth sized 12 gauge guns?  You could start with smaller loads in a light weight gun with a shorter barrel.  Than add bigger stock and longer barrel later.

Also, though I can no longer recall the exact details, somewhere I read an article once that the larger the shot the worse it performs in smaller gauges/bore diameters.  It was directly related to shot size, column height and diameter.  My version; if you stack the shot higher than it is wide, like in a .410, anything larger than 7.5 shot loses effectiveness due to the shot column being too tall.

To me it seems ideal when you are between a 12 and 20 gauge.  A short 12 gauge load of #4 shot may be more effective than a 20 gauge load of 4's?
Link Posted: 7/9/2003 7:33:18 AM EDT
[#2]
I've read good things about it. it must be pretty good stuff. FN's new shotgun was designed to accept them. 11 + 1 capacity. I'll take that in any tactical situation.
Link Posted: 7/12/2003 12:53:58 PM EDT
[#3]
I have tried it.  The buckshot load contains 7x#4buck and 4x#1buck.  I shot a couple of rounds out of my Mossberg 500.  It left a lot of powder residue in the barrel but it patterned quite well.  In my new Mossberg 590, I can fit 14+1 rounds and don't have to worry about it over penetrating apartment complex walls.  Overall I like them, but they are a bit pricey.
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 9:39:00 AM EDT
[#4]

I shot a couple of rounds out of my Mossberg 500.  It left a lot of powder residue in the barrel but it patterned quite well.

Sorry for the hi-jack, but...

Does the model 500 have to be modified in any way to cycle these properly?

Link Posted: 7/13/2003 3:03:16 PM EDT
[#5]
I just bought 2 boxes from AIM Surplus, but haven't tried them out yet. Will try to cycle them thru my Winchester 1300 in the next few days. Strange looking little things, they look like they would fit perfectly in a 12 ga marine plastic flare gun, hope no one is dumb enough to try them in a flare gun.
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 3:42:34 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I shot a couple of rounds out of my Mossberg 500.  It left a lot of powder residue in the barrel but it patterned quite well.

Sorry for the hi-jack, but...

Does the model 500 have to be modified in any way to cycle these properly?

There is a possibility of the short shells partially falling thru the Mossberg skeletonized carrier, especially if you don't rack the slide fast enuff.  I've bought an extra shell lifter/carrier to modify by welding an extenstion on the "finger" that lefts the shell.  Just haven't gotten around to doing it yet.

My Rem870 doesn't like these shells much (could just be my 870, she can be finicky), & the old Savage/Stevens pump tries to double feed them every single time.  The Winchester M1300 is supposedly the one to use with the minishells.  
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 3:45:03 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Strange looking little things, they look like they would fit perfectly in a 12 ga marine plastic flare gun, hope no one is dumb enough to try them in a flare gun.

It's already been tried, I think by the ATF.  Totally grenaded the flare gun (most of the barrel GONE, as in shrapnel!).  Kids, don't try this at home.
Link Posted: 7/13/2003 3:50:48 PM EDT
[#8]
not worth it.  I bought some at the fun show, and I would not go out of my way to get it to function in any of my shotties.

And it definitely did NOT function in any of my shotties.
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 1:19:08 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Strange looking little things, they look like they would fit perfectly in a 12 ga marine plastic flare gun, hope no one is dumb enough to try them in a flare gun.

It's already been tried, I think by the ATF.  Totally grenaded the flare gun (most of the barrel GONE, as in shrapnel!).  Kids, don't try this at home.

Ive got a steel barreled 12g flare gun but I'm too scared to try it.  I'm afraid the recoil is gonna hurt.  I've shot a .410 derringer and that was bad enough.  
Link Posted: 7/16/2003 1:20:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Aguila is supposed to be making a shotgun chambered for these little short sheells.

Has anyone heard if they are being imported yet?
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 8:04:55 AM EDT
[#11]
Tried the Aguila mini-shotshells today in my Winchester 1300 with an 18" barrel. Had a couple of failures to chamber in the begining, but realized that I was cycling the rounds kinds gently. Once I started to use a little more speed (force), the next 14 rounds chambered with no problems. Shotgun is new, might be a little stiff, also. At 25 yds, had about an 18-24" pattern, 8-10" pattern at 15 yds. Not bad for an 18" barrel. Recoil is very light, like a .410. Not the cleanest load I have ever shot, but not bad. Had good penetration on an old 4"x4" piece of wood. Penetrated about 1/2" at 10 yds, don't know what kind of wood, but it didn't seem too soft. These would a pretty good home defense load, if they cycle thru your shotgun. If you try them, don't be afraid to use a little force (not excessive)to chamber the next rounds. They seem to work fine when you do. Hope this helps.    
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 11:37:25 AM EDT
[#12]
I've fired Aguila Mini 12 Ga slugs out of a mossberg 500.

First off, THEY ARE FUN SH!T!!!  Extremely light recoil, accurate, and a high-capacity magazine tube like mine can hold TONS of them.

There IS a reliability problem with them.  I've only seen the problem about 15% of the time where it does go through the skeletonized elevator on the Mossberg 500.  A little modification will cure this problem easily, and won't cost much at all.

I'm definitely going to make the modification & buy some of this ammo if I get the $$ sometime soon...  
Link Posted: 7/28/2003 12:09:57 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I've read good things about it. it must be pretty good stuff. FN's new shotgun was designed to accept them. 11 + 1 capacity. I'll take that in any tactical situation.

I tried cycling them in my FN Tactical shotgun, and had problems. If you don't rack it fast, they tend to misfeed. My (limited) experience with them would steer me away from using them for anything but fun.

And I think the FN shotguns hold 12+1, but I'll have to re-check to make sure.
Link Posted: 7/29/2003 8:36:27 AM EDT
[#14]

I figured that the skeletonized elevator might be a problem. I might try some out and see if I want to make the modifications to it.

Thanks,
Eric
Link Posted: 7/30/2003 8:28:09 AM EDT
[#15]
I'm considering suggesting these for a friend of mine.  She currently has a .410 SxS and apparently can't handle the weight and recoil of a 12 ga pump due to nerve damage.  So i was thinking a 12 ga SxS with these little critters might be a good compromise.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top