Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/20/2003 6:51:18 PM EDT
I'm thinking of taking up skeet shooting. I don't know if I should go Semi-Auto or Over-Under.

Looking for 12ga 3" chamber. Open to all thoughts and options. Plese give a price to your suggestion.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 7:33:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Well is it going ot be only for skeet shooting? If so why the need for a 3" chamber?

Semi-auto - Good points would be that it eats up recoil. Very nice if you plan on shooting alot of rounds during a session. Probably cheaper than a O/U also. I shoot an 1187 Remingotn and it does just nicely for all my hunting/shooting needs.
O/U - Well they point nicer for me. Little lighter possibly and shorter depending on the setup you want. Also quite a bit more expensive. I think theres something majestic abotu O/U's though. But they can beat you up more than the gas operated autos.

My overall choice. Remingotn 1100. Bunch of parts for it and easy to maintain. Plus it wont break the bank. It might not have the 3" capability but if you really need it step up to the 1187.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 12:28:48 AM EDT
[#2]
The range of prices is much wider than the variety of configurations, so maybe you'd be able to set an upper limit if there is one?  It seems as if you know nothing about the sport.  
IMHO
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 1:08:22 AM EDT
[#3]
O/U has twice the weight from the handguard forward.  This helps smooth the swing tremendously.  Grab a reasonably priced SKB.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 3:42:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Well I'm not worried about recoil. I currently have a Mossy Pump in 12ga 3in, and I can shoot it all day long. I guess I'm just looking for something to go Skeet shooting with. I know I'm at a disadvantade with the pump, so I was thinking of a semi-auto. But I know over-unders are real popular in the sport. I'm probably willing to spend a good 1K. I was thinking of a benneli (sp?). Since they're suppose to be the fastest cycleing shotguns but I don't know what model or if they're even worth the price. Thanks for any info.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 3:48:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Very difficult to beat the 1100 for the price as a "starter" gun. If you get into it, you KNOW you are gonna find something else you just "have to" have for busting those little skeets after you shoot some of the other guys' guns...or even better...a matched set!
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 3:50:36 AM EDT
[#6]
The benelli speed of operation is just hype. I shoot a fair amout of shotguns sports using both O/Us and autoloaders. I don't ever recall a shot where I was waiting for the gun to load the next shell, except for pumps.

Personlly I have settled on the gas autoloaders like the Beretta and Brownings. I'd recommend either one of these for an all day shooting session.

You say the recoil doesn't bother you but I'd bet you'll still feel better at the end of a long day of shooting if you use a gas autoloader.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 4:07:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Sparsky, Skeet is shot with 2 3/4" shells only. Remington offers a 1100 12 gauge Tournament Skeet model, 2 3/4" chamber, 26" vent rib barrel, Rem chokes, $932.00 list price. They also offer a 1100 Sporting Clays model in 12, 20 and 28 gauge, 2 3/4" chamber, the 12 and 20 gauge have 28" barrels the 28 gauge has a 25" barrel, all have Rem chokes, list price $868.00. The standard 1100 hunting model 12 gauge, synthetic stock, 28" vent rib barrel, Rem chokes, 2 3/4" chamber, list price $549.00. The 11-87 standard model has a 3" chamber and the super mag has a 3 1/2" chamber. Prices start at $791.00 and up.

If I were buying for skeet I would buy a 1100. For hunting I would buy a 11-87. Looks like you need two guns! I am a gas gun man. I like the fact that the recoil is lessened by an auto. Plus this is AR15.com home of the semi-auto rifle. Double barrels just don't look good in group photo's on this site! MIKE.  
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 4:45:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Boy, you into the I like this $15,000 shotgun area.

Most around here use an over and under and what one uses varies on how long and how much they have been into it and almost all like to show their guns and compare.

I bought a cheap shotgun to see if I'd like the sport with plans on seeing what I like from the other guys guns.  I bought a Stoeger over and under for $300.  To tell you the truth it kills clays just as well as the fancy Italian models.

I'm not into the social aspect of skeet and reallly prefer rifles so I opted not to buy another but saw and show some unbeliveable shot guns that I couldn't afford.

Tj
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 5:47:16 PM EDT
[#9]
I went to the toy store today, probably go tomorrow too. Saw a 300 dollar semi 12ga. I think it was called a lupa or lumma. I forgot. Looked nice, pretty light weight easy controls. Also looked at the beretta and remmy. Seems like I'm gunna have to do some research here.

As far as the over under goes. I dunno I've just always liked them. They just apeal to me for some reason. I dunno.. Like I want a side by side 12 ga with two triggers just for the fun of it. My 10ga break open is still in the works. Ehh... guess I'll have to get me a punt gun here soon. That'd be something to bring to a shoot. =)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top