Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/22/2006 7:03:21 PM EDT
I just purchased a mid 80's Rem 1100 Magnum from another member on the EE.  The gun is in decent condition but I can not get it to cycle any 2 3/4" loads except for slugs.  It has a 26" vent rib barrel which was cut down to 18.5".  The action is pretty clean with no large deposits of carbon on the piston or in the port opening.  I have already ordered new springs for it from Wolff and I plan to replace the rubber "O" ring in the gas system before my next outing.  A few questions:

-The barrel is marked "3" shells", not 2 3/4" & 3" which is what I'm used to seeing.  Does this mean the barrel is not designed to function with 2 3/4"?

-I have heard about opening the gas port up a bit, is this an option that might resolve the cycling problem?  If so, anyone know how to go about it?

-Did cutting the barrel down limit this barrel to 3" loads only?

Any help would be appreciated.  I am considering sending the barrel to Vang for a work over but am unsure if he would solve this issue or if I need to get it cycling properly before I send it.  Thanks in advance for any advice guys.

Phylodog
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 9:08:42 PM EDT
[#1]
My guess is the gas ring.  If you don't form a good seal, you won't reliably cycle the action.

As for the barrel, it is likely from an 11/87, shouldn't have an affect as most parts are the same between the 1100 and 11/87, just don't run 3" rounds thru you 1100.

When I purchased mine, used, I took it to my smith and had him replace worn parts.  Cost me like $40.

I love my 1100.  Points well, easy follow up shots.

Link Posted: 2/22/2006 9:11:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the info.  My receiver is marked 1100 magnum so it should be OK with the 3" shells.
Top Top