Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/27/2021 5:23:50 PM EDT
Looking to get one just not sure which one and the differences is confusing some.
Link Posted: 5/27/2021 6:17:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/27/2021 7:55:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Double action or single action?
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 10:27:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JamesTheScot] [#3]
Originally Posted By recon:
Looking to get one just not sure which one and the differences is confusing some.
View Quote

I bought a used one for cheap at the LGS, I think for about $225, on a whim.

Awesome gun.

Mine is one of the earlier generation full size pistols that has the sorta funky de-cock button on the top of the slide.

While I can’t imagine why I would want to de-cock a striker fired pistol with a round in the chamber, the striker does reset with a slight rearward press of the slide ... not even an inch of movement and little spring resistance. Basically, a press check resets the trigger. And the trigger is one of the better striker triggers I’ve shot.

Mine also feels great in the hand and has cycled literally everything I’ve put through it.

My one gripe is that the texturing on the frame is not all that great. I haven’t really tested it with soaking wet hands or anything. But it feels a tad slippery with hot hands in the summer. I wish they either went with a more aggressive sandpaper texture on the grip areas or left them smooth so I could apply wide swaths of skaters tape. As it is, I’ve got to be rather surgical with an exacto blade to get thin strips of grip tape onto the frame in between the textured areas.

I liked it so much I bought a new one (sans the de-cock) for my son for his birthday. His trigger isn’t as good as mine, but still above average.

I know they had some sort of extreme duty mod for the trigger so I suspect mine may be pre-mod and his is post-mod. Or his may just need a little bit more breaking in.
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 10:31:50 AM EDT
[#4]
So I'm looking at the MOD2 model. Looks like the one to look at.
https://www.canikusa.com/tp9sa-mod-2-16617
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 6:21:55 PM EDT
[#5]
You basically have 3 options with the TP9 series as I recall.

TP9SA has a striker decocker button on the top of the slide. Before the Mod 2 the button was larger and one of the concerns was the gun getting decocked unintentionally, hence the smaller button on the Mod 2.

TP9DA has a double action/single action trigger.

All of the other models are "standard" and operate like most any other striker-fired pistol.

I prefer the TP9SF myself, but you can't really go wrong. You should be able to find plenty of videos out there that may explain the differences better.
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 11:32:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: recon] [#6]
Don't need the decocker model. No need for it. Looks like the SF one is the one to get.
https://www.canikusa.com/tp9sf
Link Posted: 5/29/2021 1:54:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Think about the TP9SF Elite which has a slightly nicer trigger, ambi slide release, and a fiber optic front sight.

For carry the TP9SF /Elite is basically the size of the Glock G19 - great all around size for carry and a little fun at the range.

There are threaded barrels, magwells, and extended +3 mags that are used in the Elite combat/executive if you like to accessorize.

The big difference is the easy tear down, all the other models require you to push the slide all the way forward to remove the slide, while TP9SF /Elite/Combat/Executive you just need to push about 1/2" before pulling the slide off.  The match grade barrels in these are plenty accurate.
Link Posted: 5/30/2021 3:38:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: recon] [#8]
Found this on GB for mags. Seems they will fit all models. 15rd mags. At $23 that's a good price.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/900740725
Link Posted: 7/15/2021 11:16:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By recon:
Found this on GB for mags. Seems they will fit all models. 15rd mags. At $23 that's a good price.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/900740725
View Quote

TP9SF mags are 18rds  

TP9SFx are 20rds(the 18 round with a 2 round extension)

TP9SF Elite are 15rds

TP9SF Elite SC are 12rds

All the larger mags fit in the smaller round guns and not the other way around.
Link Posted: 7/15/2021 11:57:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/18/2021 10:44:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Just got the SA. I'm a fan for sure. Excellent carry gun.
Link Posted: 7/18/2021 2:52:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 7/18/2021 11:48:14 PM EDT
[#13]
All of the Caniks are good.  There are minor differences in the triggers and options but overall you can't go wrong with any of them.
Link Posted: 7/29/2021 7:48:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Sportsman Outdoor Super Store is having a sale on these with free shipping.

https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com/black-friday.cfm/sale/semi-auto-handguns/brand/CANIK

Link Posted: 7/29/2021 9:39:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Was at the range the other day and the RO handed me his gun and told me to shoot a mag through it. It was a Combat Elite and I promptly ordered one  the same day.  I freaking love that pistol. The time before that a RO let me shoot his firearm I came home with a Shadow 2. Note to self do not shoot RO's guns. Looking a a SFX now.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 9:32:53 AM EDT
[#16]
I have a TP9SF and a TP9SF Elite.  I shoot the full sized way more that the Elite.  No particular reason, it's just the one I prefer I guess.  Both are very accurate and have great triggers.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top