Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/29/2021 11:54:59 PM EDT
As the subject line says, is the P17 reliable in your experience?  

Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 12:10:42 AM EDT
[#1]
I got one a week ago, & have only put 200 rounds from 4 manufacturers thru it, zero malfunctions.  a shooting buddy bought one at the same time, has put about the same round count thru his, same results.
so far we are both pleased.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 12:15:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Good luck.  I will never buy a Kel-Tec again.  Bought a P3-AT and it worked great.  Subsequent purchases of a PF9 and CMR30 were HORRIBLE.  Sending each back to Kel-Tec for repairs resulted in zero improvement.  They were paperweights as far as I'm concerned.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 12:18:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 12:33:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Love mine.  The rear sight wanted to wander but a quick adjustment and a bit of blue lock tite did it some wonders.  I loaded 12 rounds of thunderbolt cheap lead round nose  and some CCI shorts to top it off. It ran fine the first time.  The dirtier it got the less it would function with shorts.  It’s not supposed to function with shorts anyway. After about around 160 rounds, 10 magazines of thunderbolt it wants to fail to extract.  Ran a bore snake and a quick brushing with a tooth brush and it was back in action.  
 My mother in law wants one for her home defense gun.  She isn’t a gun person and loved shooting it with CCI Stingers.  She has had multiple wrist and thumb surgeries and had issues with all other semi autos of various calibers.  Not the P17.  

A clean gun, loaded with Quality ammunition will easily put all 17 shots in a tennis ball group size from 15 or so feet shooting at a steady rate.  Slow it down and the group get even better.  

Shooting as fast as I could from that distance I had many bullseye-ish  hits, most  in center mass and no flyers.  

I probably have 1200 rounds through mine right now.  CCI mini mag and stingers do really well,  Aquila Super(extra) do great, federal, Winchester Remington  get less and less reliable.  

Extremely easy to take down and clean.  The price cant be beat.
Link Posted: 11/1/2021 10:10:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Personally, in my experience with the Sub2K and KSG, I give KEL-TEC an “A” in innovation but a “C” for execution.

Link Posted: 11/4/2021 3:45:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Mine has been. I did have to put some loctite on the rear sigh screw tho. ran great with walmart federal bulk until i put a red dot on it. caused stovepipes. swapped to CCI SV or Thunderbolts and its back to 100%.
Link Posted: 11/4/2021 3:52:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I got one a week ago, & have only put 200 rounds from 4 manufacturers thru it, zero malfunctions.  a shooting buddy bought one at the same time, has put about the same round count thru his, same results.
so far we are both pleased.
View Quote

Bought from where? I can never find one. I already bought a red dot plate in anticipation of finally getting one.
Link Posted: 12/3/2021 12:01:42 PM EDT
[#8]
I have one and absolutely love it.

Accurate.  And after the first two magazines, no reliability issues.    

I’m up to avout 3,000 rounds through it 2/3 suppresses.   Super nice as a can host.

Link Posted: 12/3/2021 12:04:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Put a lot of rounds through mine (above 1k probably not 2k) all suppressed it’s filthy and no longer locks the slide open when empty but maybe that would be fixed by cleaning…. Not sure

That said it eats everything and besides a small handful of light primer strikes it’s been shooting great
Link Posted: 12/19/2021 8:46:56 PM EDT
[#10]
The samples I've seen, 3 to be exact have all been reliable. I'm gifting 3 more for Christmas to wife and 2 kids. I expect the same reliability of those as well.   All three of worked well suppressed or unsuppressed. I'd buy more but don't have a need and others need to get them.
Link Posted: 12/19/2021 9:03:01 PM EDT
[#11]
It’s the only KT I’ll still recommend. I’ve had three and all have been flawless except the aforementioned wandering rear sight on one of my newer ones.
Link Posted: 12/19/2021 9:21:34 PM EDT
[#12]
Mine was not reliable.
Link Posted: 3/1/2022 11:48:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Anyone have a line on where to find one in stock?
Link Posted: 3/15/2022 10:23:56 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Thats the hard part.
Link Posted: 3/17/2022 11:09:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Keywords=P17&Sort=13
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 2:10:36 PM EDT
[#16]

I should have elaborated a bit.

Where can I find one in stock besides on Gunbroker for an exorbitant price?
Link Posted: 3/22/2022 10:13:06 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Thats the hard part.
View Quote

@evnash

In stock today at RK Guns for ~$250.
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 4:49:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/29/2022 5:50:11 PM EDT
[#19]

In stock at several retailers for around this price.

Anyone looking to put a red dot on theirs?
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 9:45:42 AM EDT
[#20]
I found one on gunbroker a while back for a good deal. I have maybe 200-300 through it. Really waxy unplated stuff was having ftf for the first 3-5 rounds in a mag but all other ammo I have shot has been 100% I have shot it mostly suppressed. The can is still in jail but once it's out ill be putting thousands of rounds through this little lightweight.
Link Posted: 4/17/2022 10:35:44 PM EDT
[#21]
I bought two for less than $200 each.

I only shoot CCI and Gemtech (which I think is also CCI).
I have maybe 2K through one and 4K through the other.
I've never had a problem. Not even a single bad round.
Before I got the LCP MAX, I'd even throw one in my pocket
to run to the store since it was so light and small.

I want a P322, but even at it's cheapest price of $379, I'm not sure it's twice as good as a $179 P17.
I WOULD say it's like 50-60% better, except in size--the P17s are super compact to hold that many rounds.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top