Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/9/2021 2:55:22 PM EDT
I forgot how ammo picky small .22 autos can be.

Here’s what I had:
Win. bulk, Win. Wildcat bulk, CCI std. velocity, Rem. Thunderbolt, and Rem. bulk.
Also a variety of CCI high velocity.
Mini Mags, hp and fmj, AR15 ammo, and Chute ‘em hp.

The only thing that I shot more than one mag without failure was CCI Mini Mag fmj.

The most common failure was ftf, with the round from the magazine touching the feed ramp and stopping.
Usually just bumping the slide would get it going.
(I had 2 magazines and both worked the same.)

Shot about 150 rounds.
Only had one light strike where the round looked like it had a good strike and fired when I reloaded it. It was a Wildcat bulk round.

All of my shooting was from 7 yards and the gun shot tight groups.
But, the stiff trigger made it difficult to be accurate.
Most shots were about 2 inches left/low from 7 yards.

So, not the worst new gun shoot I’ve had but not what I was hoping for either.

I’ll give it a good cleaning and polish the feed ramp and see what happens.
Link Posted: 10/9/2021 3:44:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Stick an MCarbo spring kit in it. My trigger is 4 pounds now. I've never tried standard velocity, only mini mags, stingers and velocitors. I picked up a ruger threaded barrel kit and it comes with a weaker recoil spring. Good luck.
Link Posted: 10/9/2021 4:44:05 PM EDT
[#2]
I've got 2 of those that have functioned 100%. I put 10rds of minimags through each then a brick of Federal 36gr. bulk pack.
Link Posted: 10/9/2021 8:36:26 PM EDT
[#3]
I have had no issues with mine. One thing you have to watch if you have large hands and/ or are used to aggressively gripping a larger gun two handed, is your grip contacting the slide and slowing it down.

Go back out and shoot one handed and if the malfunctioning issues go away, your grip is at fault.
Never ever judge gun performance with bulk pack as it is the equivalent of the floor sweep rejected.
The better quality CCI ammo is the best way to judge performance. Run a couple hundred rounds  of CCI exclusively before passing judgment on the gun.
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 8:27:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Mine shoots everything
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 9:06:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Mine shoots everything
View Quote

Mine shoots everything but……CCI Quiet 22
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 9:44:25 PM EDT
[#6]
After cleaning and lubing, it still wouldn't feed more than 1 mag without a FTF.
I even brought along some Federal Auto Match as some users said their gun ran fine with it.
No dice.

I called Ruger, they sent a shipping label and had it back in about 7 days. (With Thanksgiving in the middel!)
They replaced the barrel.

Haven't been to the range yet.
Hope we are good to go now.

My initial research indicated that most of these LCP II .22s were reliable and not too picky.
Of course after I got mine, I started seeing failure reports.
Link Posted: 12/10/2021 10:47:54 PM EDT
[#7]
I had issues with multiple FtF per mag on Winchester 555 bulk pack. Shoots federal bulk and cci mini mags 100%. I’ve got the spring kit but haven’t installed yet.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 2:53:46 PM EDT
[#8]
At the range I had many failures, mostly light strikes.
In all fairness, the rounds that would not fire would not fire in another gun either.

I also had a few FTF.
Ten mags.
At least 5 types of ammo.
Rem., Win., and Federal bulk, Aguila, and CCI MiniMags.
Out of 10 mags I think the CCI was the only one that went 2 mags with no failures of any kind.

I also ordered the spring kit too.

It's not the first time that Ruger has released a gun that needed aftermarket support to run right.
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 9:32:40 PM EDT
[#9]
That's horrible that Ruger is making a gun that doesn't run right out of the box.  I understand that some 22lr ammo is crap but it should run anything a Mk4 will
Link Posted: 12/12/2021 9:43:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 4:15:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
That's horrible that Ruger is making a gun that doesn't run right out of the box.  I understand that some 22lr ammo is crap but it should run anything a Mk4 will
View Quote
Well...
You are not wrong.
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 4:16:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Yep.
That's the one I ordered.
Should have it in hand before Christmas.
Link Posted: 12/15/2021 9:17:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:Yep.
That's the one I ordered.
Should have it in hand before Christmas.
View Quote

Made a heck of a difference with mine.
Link Posted: 12/21/2021 6:03:11 AM EDT
[#14]
I have a good one and other that a dud with the occasional Federal automatch it runs great. I have a couple tandem cross moded mags I put 13rds in that work well.
Link Posted: 12/27/2021 8:30:48 PM EDT
[#15]
The spring kit turned mine from a junk gun into a fun plinker.
The only light strikes were with some Remington bulk pack.

It will absolutely not run Federal Auto Match, but with Remington, CCI, Winchester, Aguila, it purrs.
It even runs CCI Standard Velocity!
Link Posted: 12/27/2021 9:07:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Mine should be out of jail this week so I’m hoping it shoots good out of the box.  Just got notification that my threaded barrel will be in tomorrow because it’ll be shot exclusively with a can.
Link Posted: 1/28/2022 9:34:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Mine took a couple hundred round to break in. Make sure your thumb isn’t contacting the slide.
Stingers leave nice fire ball!
Link Posted: 4/16/2022 6:37:13 PM EDT
[#18]
After mine broke in, I stopped having misfires.
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 1:39:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Mine performed better after breaking in a bit. Then I got some new mags, and started having issues again until those mags broke in. At this point it's still a little picky though. I can't put bulk standard velocity through it, but most things it seems to handle fine. Good enough for a plinker. I wouldn't want to carry it though, especially since it doesn't have an extractor. And is a 22. And has a manual safety.
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 4:44:20 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm the OP.

I never warmed up to mine after all the issues.
It happens sometimes.
It's like the honeymoon is over.

It's gone and so is the LCP Max.

I'm really shocked because I thought I'd really like both guns.

Both had to go back to the factory.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 9:47:31 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I'm the OP.

I never warmed up to mine after all the issues.
It happens sometimes.
It's like the honeymoon is over.

It's gone and so is the LCP Max.

I'm really shocked because I thought I'd really like both guns.

Both had to go back to the factory.
View Quote

Sorry to hear about your bad experience.  Mine was the opposite. I'm all in on the little guy.

Got new sights:

Attachment Attached File

And it's now my favorite pocket-sized hush-puppy.

Attachment Attached File
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top