Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 6/1/2021 10:15:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: M4]
Been thinking about a new .22 pistol and would prefer it's threaded for a suppressor.

Outside of really expensive pistols such as Volquartzen, is there any pistol platform out there worth considering?

I prefer platforms that have always been dedicated .22's, which is where the Mark VI resides along with several others.

Looking for a pistol that isn't temperamental with ammo, built to last many years and would prefer it come with a threaded barrel (though not a deal breaker for the right gun). Some companies build their offerings off of Ruger pistols, but I'm not familiar with them, the build quality and their longevity. The only exception to this is my AWC Amphibian S, which has been great.

Suggestions?

Link Posted: 6/1/2021 10:18:04 AM EDT
[#1]
I've had many .22 pistols. Ruger 22/45 lite is just a solid tack driver especially with a red dot. I'm actually thinking of picking up another one.
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 10:19:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: -Obsessed-] [#2]

Attachment Attached File

Get both

The Ruger is really nice, but you will want the accurizing kit or the full competition kit. My VQ is next level though.

Can't go wrong with either. I prefer the MK III over the IV but I know I'm the minority.
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 10:25:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: arndog123] [#3]
S&W Victory 22.  Mine came with an excellent stock trigger.  I had to install a Volquartsen accurizing kit in my MKIV and the S&W is still better.  The Victory is an excellent suppressor host as well.

My 3 favorite suppressor hosts,
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 10:29:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 10:38:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By arndog123:
S&W Victory 22.  Mine came with an excellent stock trigger.  I had to install a Volquartsen accurizing kit in my MKIV and the S&W is still better.  The Victory is an excellent suppressor host as well.
View Quote

Agree 100%.  The Victory has been more accurate and reliable than any of my Ruger variants.

Link Posted: 6/1/2021 10:39:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By DavidC:

Agree 100%.  The Victory has been more accurate and reliable than any of my Ruger variants.

View Quote

I think it's just personal preference.  I couldn't shoot a Victory to save my life. My Ruger I can shoot lights out.

Always a good idea to try different models if you can.
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 12:08:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Sounds like there are only a handful of options that meet the description but some good ones none the less.

What is the appeal of the 22/45 v. the Mark VI? Weight?
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 12:20:56 PM EDT
[#8]
The 22/45 also has the same grip angle as a 1911.
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 12:31:11 PM EDT
[#9]
When did Ruger come out w/ the Mk 6?
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 12:31:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Taurus TX22

Link Posted: 6/1/2021 12:47:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Ruger sr22.
Great little combo and totally quiet.
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 12:48:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By belted_guns:
Ruger sr22.
Great little combo and totally quiet.
View Quote

If you have little girly hands.

My wife has one, and while a great little gun, there are better options for a host. Like the Ruger Standard.
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 1:22:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Taurus TX22. It comes threaded with a thread protector from the factory. I don’t  have a suppressor (yet) but it’s been 100% reliable through 1000’s of rounds.
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 3:48:07 PM EDT
[#14]
I’ve had good luck with a GSG 1911. Great training aide and eats everything we feed it.
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 4:45:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Another fan of the victory in current production Guns. Iooked at buckmarks and ruger but found the victory cheaper. ( $150 less than a Mark IV lite)
My victory is nearly bullseye competition accurate is very reliable ( can still in jail hopefully soon)
My true favorite threaded gun though is the very out of production S&W 422
I generally hate stainless and am an old classics kind of guy, but couldn’t bring myself to get my old classic Colt challenger threaded
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 6:29:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Nate19] [#16]
Originally Posted By backbencher:
When did Ruger come out w/ the Mk 6?
View Quote

22/45 Lite is what you are looking for, OP.

ETA: Volquartsen accurizing kit to make it even better.
Link Posted: 6/1/2021 8:12:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Nate19:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Nate19:
Originally Posted By backbencher:  When did Ruger come out w/ the Mk 6?

If I was starting from scratch, I'd be really temped by the Browning Buckmark w/ interchangeable bbls, and a carbine I could share magazines w/.
Link Posted: 6/2/2021 9:13:14 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 6/2/2021 11:14:43 AM EDT
[#19]
MKIV is my go to rimfire pistol host. These see more rounds than anything else in my collection. Volquartsen Accurizing kit is a must IMO.

Link Posted: 6/3/2021 4:31:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Just got this today.

Link Posted: 6/3/2021 4:42:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 6/3/2021 4:50:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 6/3/2021 5:36:03 PM EDT
[#23]
View All Quotes

Very nice. The standards feel so much better to me than the 22/45.
Link Posted: 6/3/2021 5:37:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Browning Buckmark, if for no other reason for ease of barrel removal and replacement.
Link Posted: 6/3/2021 5:39:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 2:25:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: airgunner] [#26]
Originally Posted By M4:
Been thinking about a new .22 pistol and would prefer it's threaded for a suppressor.

Outside of really expensive pistols such as Volquartzen, is there any pistol platform out there worth considering?
View Quote

All things considered, no not really. The MKIV (I prefer the 22/45 version) is the best all around 22 suppressor host IMO but the Buckmark is a good alternative. Biggest knock against the Buckmark is it doesn't have anywhere near the aftermarket support.

Originally Posted By weptek911:
Taurus TX22. It comes threaded with a thread protector from the factory. I don’t  have a suppressor (yet) but it’s been 100% reliable through 1000’s of rounds.
View Quote

I have a TX22 and think its a cool gun, especially for the money. Love the capacity but I won't be running mine suppressed.

22's with aluminum slides don't have a great track record with items such as suppressors or comps hanging off the end of them. Lookup the Walther P22 and see all the slide failures and I've already seen one report of a TX22 with a suppressor and cracked slide. Hopefully that was just a fluke but I'm sticking with the my Ruger for suppressor duty and the TX22 for what I bought it for, a training tool.
Link Posted: 6/19/2021 10:47:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: M4] [#27]
WellI got this on the way.

The 22/45 line just isn't my thing.

I  really like the all stainless target models and it's tapped to mount optics as well as being threaded.

With the new take down of the IV's, I think I'll be happy with this.

Link Posted: 6/19/2021 10:57:36 PM EDT
[#28]
I love my walther ppq m2-22lr.  Its gonna bang with all types of ammo.
Link Posted: 6/19/2021 11:56:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Mine has been awesome although my G44 gets way more range time now. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/20/2021 6:04:51 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By M4:

I  really like the all stainless target models and it's tapped to mount optics as well as being threaded.

https://ruger.com/productImages/40126/detail/2.jpg
View Quote

That’s a great looking pistol.
Link Posted: 6/24/2021 2:58:36 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By M4:

https://ruger.com/productImages/40126/detail/2.jpg
View Quote

You will like it. Consider the Volquartsen accurizing kit as well.
Link Posted: 6/25/2021 12:40:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: M4] [#32]
Originally Posted By triburst1:

That's a great looking pistol.
View Quote

I have to agree. First off, it's an extremely well built gun. When you hold it and really check it out, it looks like it will last well beyond my lifetime. Solid stainless across the board means it has weight to it, but it's truly beautifully made. The 4th Gen of the Mark series is without question the best of them. The take down being way up there, but beyond that, it's a beautiful pistol and I don't use adjectives like that for guns very often.

My one gripe is the all black front sight that gets lost on dark targets. I'll be swapping that out for something more functional, but that's minor stuff.

Originally Posted By bisonbisonbison:

You will like it. Consider the Volquartsen accurizing kit as well.
View Quote

I don't know much about Volquartsen's options but I know their reputation. I'll check it out.

As an aside, I learned that way back when Ruger first introduced the Mark series, it was born from the inspiration of WWII bring backs of the German Luger and the Japanese Nambu pistols. That design heritage is very evident too and better than both by a long shot.

Kind of interesting.
Link Posted: 6/25/2021 1:16:59 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By M4:

My one gripe is the all black front sight that gets lost on dark targets. I'll be swapping that out for something more functional, but that's minor stuff.

View Quote

May I suggest an MRDS?

Attachment Attached File

If you want to stick with irons, tacsol makes a fiber optic front sight.
Link Posted: 6/25/2021 2:35:31 PM EDT
[#34]

May I suggest an MRDS?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/34777/6625504A-3BD8-40FD-9D97-62EFB526D83A_jpe-1990871.JPG

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By M4:

May I suggest an MRDS?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/34777/6625504A-3BD8-40FD-9D97-62EFB526D83A_jpe-1990871.JPG

Thats very slick. What mount is that?
Link Posted: 6/25/2021 2:48:42 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By M4:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By M4:
Originally Posted By M4:

May I suggest an MRDS?

Maddmacs center base 2.0
Link Posted: 6/25/2021 3:18:59 PM EDT
[#36]
I bought a 22/45 Lite.  I prefer the conventional grip angle.

The MKIV is an excellent choice too.

I wanted one for plinking.  I shot one suppressed.  Then I bought one 2 days later.

Volquartzen trigger guts with a Tandem Kross trigger shoe added.  Mounted a Vortex Venom. Also added a TK brake as well until my TBAC takedown arrives.

They are ridiculously fun to shoot.  Hits are automatic (get the MRDS...you really need to).
Link Posted: 6/25/2021 5:42:16 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By M4:  I have to agree. First off, it's an extremely well built gun. When you hold it and really check it out, it looks like it will last well beyond my lifetime. Solid stainless across the board means it has weight to it, but it's truly beautifully made. The 4th Gen of the Mark series is without question the best of them. The take down being way up there, but beyond that, it's a beautiful pistol and I don't use adjectives like that for guns very often.

I don't know much about Volquartsen's options but I know their reputation. I'll check it out.

As an aside, I learned that way back when Ruger first introduced the Mark series, it was born from the inspiration of WWII bring backs of the German Luger and the Japanese Nambu pistols. That design heritage is very evident too and better than both by a long shot.

Kind of interesting.
View Quote

Excuse me, are you trying to claim that a blowback .22 LR pistol is a better gun than a 9x19mm short-recoil toggle locked Luger?  Seriously?
Link Posted: 6/25/2021 8:17:23 PM EDT
[#38]

Excuse me, are you trying to claim that a blowback .22 LR pistol is a better gun than a 9x19mm short-recoil toggle locked Luger?  Seriously?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By M4:  I have to agree. First off, it's an extremely well built gun. When you hold it and really check it out, it looks like it will last well beyond my lifetime. Solid stainless across the board means it has weight to it, but it's truly beautifully made. The 4th Gen of the Mark series is without question the best of them. The take down being way up there, but beyond that, it's a beautiful pistol and I don't use adjectives like that for guns very often.

Kind of interesting.

How is it not?

The Ruger is an enduring design that’s been updated but still the standard for .22 pistols over 70 years later. How long was the Luger viable? The Luger is overly complex, unreliable and has a terrible trigger. It was quickly eclipsed by it’s contemporaries and was replaced in short order.
Link Posted: 6/25/2021 10:24:23 PM EDT
[#39]
How is it not?

The Ruger is an enduring design that’s been updated but still the standard for .22 pistols over 70 years later. How long was the Luger viable? The Luger is overly complex, unreliable and has a terrible trigger. It was quickly eclipsed by it’s contemporaries and was replaced in short order.
View Quote

Unreliable?  Lugers are still shooting today, more than a century after they were produced.  At it's introduction, it was no more complex than it's forebear and much more compact, was in production for nearly half a century and was a primary pistol in two world wars.
Link Posted: 6/25/2021 11:15:20 PM EDT
[#40]

Unreliable?  Lugers are still shooting today, more than a century after they were produced.  At it's introduction, it was no more complex than it's forebear and much more compact, was in production for nearly half a century and was a primary pistol in two world wars.
View Quote

I’m going to have to agree with this.

You can’t compare a unique and historical design like the Luger to a .22 blowback anything.

Doesn’t mean that the .22 isn’t high quality though.
Link Posted: 6/26/2021 4:38:37 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By SubSonic1836:

I'm going to have to agree with this.

You can't compare a unique and historical design like the Luger to a .22 blowback anything.

Doesn't mean that the .22 isn't high quality though.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SubSonic1836:

I'm going to have to agree with this.

You can't compare a unique and historical design like the Luger to a .22 blowback anything.

Doesn't mean that the .22 isn't high quality though.

The comparison was made because the Ruger Mark series was born from adopting and improving on both the Nambu and Luger after WWII. There's a direct and specific connection to both.

Link Posted: 6/26/2021 8:18:06 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By M4:
The comparison was made because the Ruger Mark series was born from adopting and improving on both the Nambu and Luger after WWII. There's a direct and specific connection to both.
View Quote

Dude, it didn't improve on the Luger.  Ruger copied the grip angle and overall look to make a cheap .22 target pistol.  You can't really compare a civilian .22 target pistol w/ a military 9mm combat pistol that was adopted by militaries around the world in its day.
Link Posted: 6/26/2021 10:12:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: M4] [#43]

Dude, it didn't improve on the Luger.  Ruger copied the grip angle and overall look to make a cheap .22 target pistol.  You can't really compare a civilian .22 target pistol w/ a military 9mm combat pistol that was adopted by militaries around the world in its day.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By M4:

Lugers are historic. Many were made beautifully. There's a big collectors market. That doesn't mean the engineering "marvel" that Lugers were holds up to today's standards. The best evidence for this is probably the fact that they don't make them anymore beyond the collectors market, because far better, more reliable, much more functional guns exist for real world use.

You don't need to look beyond the P-38 that replaced it. And they didn't replace Lugers strictly because Lugers were expensive to make. It's a better design and still in production. Kind of the way Hi Powers have stood the test of time due to the excellence of their design but even more so.

And once again, the only reason Lugers were brought up is because they, along with the Nambu possessed design features adopted  by the Ruger Mark Series. And as far as pistol design goes, particularly the Mark IV's, they're also better weapons than Lugers ever were.
Link Posted: 6/26/2021 12:23:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: backbencher] [#44]
Originally Posted By M4:

Lugers are historic. Many were made beautifully. There's a big collectors market. That doesn't mean the engineering "marvel" that Lugers were holds up to today's standards. The best evidence for this is probably the fact that they don't make them anymore beyond the collectors market, because far better, more reliable, much more functional guns exist for real world use.

You don't need to look beyond the P-38 that replaced it. And they didn't replace Lugers strictly because Lugers were expensive to make. It's a better design and still in production. Kind of the way Hi Powers have stood the test of time due to the excellence of their design but even more so.

And once again, the only reason Lugers were brought up is because they, along with the Nambu possessed design features adopted  by the Ruger Mark Series. And as far as pistol design goes, particularly the Mark IV's, they're also better weapons than Lugers ever were.
View Quote

Lol.
Link Posted: 6/26/2021 9:13:11 PM EDT
[#45]

Maddmacs XBAR
Link Posted: 7/12/2021 12:04:00 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By -Obsessed-:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/467079/20200926_111029_IMG_0329_JPG-1963006.JPG

Get both

The Ruger is really nice, but you will want the accurizing kit or the full competition kit. My VQ is next level though.

Can't go wrong with either. I prefer the MK III over the IV but I know I'm the minority.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

That is a gorgeous Volquartsen Scorpion.

As for the preference of pre MKIV MK's. Thats what people who don't have an MKIV say.  

Link Posted: 7/12/2021 2:02:20 PM EDT
[#47]

View Quote

As fun a read as Nick Carter was when i was a teen,lugers are range toys and objects we art for white glove wearing collectors who have more money than they can spend.

That being said id love to own shooter grade copies of a navy Lugar and a red 9 broomhandle.
I wouldn't even mind tailoring the 124gr fmj rounds to make them run perfectly. But my g19 stays at 3pm on my hip and my g34 by the bed and range toys in the vault
Link Posted: 7/12/2021 2:09:53 PM EDT
[#48]
Alas ive gone beyond the event horizon of the contender black hole. One of my 2 current barrels is a 22lr that will be cut to 4.5inch threaded and crowned. With the sparrow it should be very polite.
Much more involved will be the custom match grade machine 8inch threaded in 22hornet. Think 70 grain bullets at 1050fps and i think full power will be hearing safe,,,,,maybe.

Stuff to do
Link Posted: 7/12/2021 2:18:33 PM EDT
[#49]
I think I’m in fair company here.  

If the gun required HV ammo to function, I ain’t interested.  

Sig Mosquito.
Link Posted: 7/12/2021 3:21:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DavidC] [#50]
Have a few more; the Ruger is the least reliable.

Attachment Attached File
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top