Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/18/2010 7:18:24 AM EDT
Link Posted: 10/18/2010 8:00:45 AM EDT
[#1]
You definitely need to fill that void. I do a lot of hunting back home in the mountains, and I never go out on a hunt without a 22 kit gun in my sack. As far as models available, it depends on your budget. You can find old H&Rs and Iver Johnsons pretty cheap. I have several High Standards that are dead nutz accurate. Taurus and Charter Arms produce good models in the $300 - $400 range. Then you have S&Ws and Colts that can run in upwards of $1000 or more. Don't discount the old H&Rs, Iver Johnsons, and High Standards. They are more than often very reliable and accurate and they can be had for fairly reasonable prices on GunBroker or you can browse the pawn shops. Just make sure the bore is bright and the lock up is tight. You can find some real treasures that only need a good cleaning and some refinishing. Enjoy!
Link Posted: 10/18/2010 8:15:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Charter Arms Pathfinder
Link Posted: 10/18/2010 9:03:46 AM EDT
[#3]
I guess it depends on what you call "good" and what you call "affordable"?

I have no experience with Charter Arms but I wouldn't call anything from Taurus "good". I would consider a S&W good and the Model 617 (probably perfect for someone wanting to do a lot of high volume shooting) but I'm not sure if you would consider them affordable?

Taurus' go for around $300-$400, if you look around you can find S&W 617's for $550-$650. Me personally, I believe in buy once, cry once so I would get the 617. You can also find S&W M17 and M18's for a decent price in good but used condition, enough so that you won't mind shooting it.

Another option is Ruger use to make the SP101 in .22LR. They stopped making them some time back and are somewhat rare now so even if you did find one, I'm not sure if it would be cheaper then a S&W(?) but it's something to add to your search list
Link Posted: 10/18/2010 9:11:52 AM EDT
[#4]
My favorite kit gun. A 25 year old High Standard Sentinel MK1. Only God knows the round count and it's still more accurate then I am.
Link Posted: 10/18/2010 9:55:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Get an older S&W 22. It doesn't have to be a collector's piece but I think you would be money ahead with a Smith despite maybe paying a little more.
Link Posted: 10/18/2010 11:38:37 AM EDT
[#6]
lets see.

S&W M18 as you mentioned.  S&W k22/M17/617.  S&W M34? kit gun.

Colt:  trooper, trooper Mk3.  Diamondbacks.  

Dan Wesson

Ruger SP101 (not made anymore)

if you want a M18, BUY ONE!   look for a used one, not a cherry one!

BFD about it value.  buy it to shoot and enjoy.  if you shoot it and take care of it, who cares?   id rather see a gun thats been used and cared for then one thats cherry and abused.

affordable means different things to differnt people. if you have a limit/budget say so.  dont make people guess.

Link Posted: 10/18/2010 6:02:59 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

lets see.

S&W M18 as you mentioned.  S&W k22/M17/617.  S&W M34? kit gun.

Colt:  trooper, trooper Mk3.  Diamondbacks.  

Dan Wesson

Ruger SP101 (not made anymore)

if you want a M18, BUY ONE!   look for a used one, not a cherry one!

BFD about it value.  buy it to shoot and enjoy.  if you shoot it and take care of it, who cares?   id rather see a gun thats been used and cared for then one thats cherry and abused.

affordable means different things to differnt people. if you have a limit/budget say so.  dont make people guess.

You forgot the M63. I owned a no dash for about a week, never fired it, and sold it for a profit. J frames just don't do it for me.

Link Posted: 10/19/2010 12:29:16 PM EDT
[#8]
I like the J Frame 22s- I have a 63 and my daughter has a 34.

I put Pachmayr Compac grips on my 63 and it really is a handy little thing.

I keep a .22lr brush and a short length of rod handy to scrub out the goo when I am going to do a bit of shooting.  The 63 has particularly rough chambers in the cylinder so it gums up the quickest.  When the extractor rod requires more effort than it should to operate I scrub the chambers out.

A Model 18 would be wonderful but I haven't seen one for sale around here in a good while.  I will buy one eventually.

Link Posted: 10/22/2010 4:48:34 PM EDT
[#9]
used beater condition smiths can often be had for under 300 bucks- get one and use it- it will never wear out!
Link Posted: 10/22/2010 6:57:45 PM EDT
[#10]
I would honestly recomend that you not rush into grabbing up the first gun you come to . Look around and try some buddy's guns (and save up more cash)

I owned a 63 years ago and never shot it well . I believe it was just too light for me.

I finally bought a S&W 10 shot 617 4". Not a very reasonable priced gun but a wonderfull shooter . It is really about perfect for me , a real clasic gun.

Much like the 642 airweight and the 686 357 it is really just about the right weight ,ballance and size for intended uses . Not all will agree but most do.

I ballance out its larger size with a older (but minty) model 34 that I recently found .

Can you tell I am a S&W guy?

Cry once (when you pay the price), then you will be shooting with a smile on your face for years to come
Link Posted: 10/23/2010 4:02:38 AM EDT
[#11]
You may want to consider single action choices as well........This will open you up to many more options.  A lot of the really small DA rimfire pistols are too light to accurately squeeze a double-action trigger anyways. (i.e. 637 and clones).  Lots of nice SA rugers out there.

But if you want DA, I'd go with a S&W that is cosmetically well-loved, but mechanically good.  Just testfire older ones first to see if they bind.  The sweet spot for prices will be the guns where they stopped pinning the barrels, but were still using machined triggers and hammers.  Don't know what "dash" model that would be.  Check RFC or S&W forums for more expertise there, but you can't really buy a bad one
Link Posted: 10/23/2010 8:41:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 7:49:22 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 9:33:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 4:52:22 PM EDT
[#15]

Not to mention the damn price.

I know I got a hell of a deal on mine but comparing the MSRP to the $300 I spent for my 18-3 around 3 years ago makes me choke.

Keep an eye out for a used M18. I see them every once in a while for $400-450. Well worth it IMO.

Link Posted: 10/27/2010 6:12:48 AM EDT
[#16]
I know they are more expensive than most, but I can't say enough good things about my S&W model 17.

Here's one...
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=197493894
Link Posted: 10/27/2010 10:31:21 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
used beater condition smiths can often be had for under 300 bucks- get one and use it- it will never wear out!

Not around here!  Used DA 22 Smiths are all but unheard of.  I maybe see one or two a year at the shows.  Never seen one under 450.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top