Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/10/2010 4:49:29 PM EDT
My dad has a Model 41. Its the sweetest shooting 22 pistol I've ever shot. Man is it ever accurate.

Anyway, I'm trying to find a company that has threaded barrels for this pistol. It seems they don't just sell the barrel, but the whole upper end. Any ideas? I'm wanting to put a can on it.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 4:58:42 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't understand what you're saying.
Pull down on the trigger guard and the barrel comes off.
Put on a new barrel.
Jim Clark does his Team Challenger for $325, and an extra $100 for threads, or some similar figure.
If that sounds high, well a new M-41 is  about $1,000, so I don't see a problem with putting a good barrel on the best American .22 made.
I'm prejudiced, I have a M-41 with the 5" unthreaded Challenger barrel, along with two fluted bull 16" 10/22 barrels and a 21 1/2" bull Clark from 20 years ago. And a Clark MKI and a Gator (Jim's AR15 IPSC gun).
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 5:47:09 PM EDT
[#2]
My dad has had this gun for a long long time, way before I was born(I'm 26). I was looking at Clarks barrels, but it doesn't look like the barrel is just a barrel, its like its built into the upper portion of the gun. I don't have it here with me to study though, sorry. Just wondering if I can get just the barrel itself.

EDIT: Ok, I just noticed the barrel is like a barrel assembly, one big piece. Clark Custom looks to have superb stuff, but I would just like the stock look, with a threaded barrel. I have no need for the rails or anything.
Link Posted: 9/11/2010 3:07:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Bully barrels used to offer  threaded barrels, but hi quit the business, and they were bull barrels anyway.
So get a spare and get it threaded. I suspect Clark would do this, and several other outfits offer this service as a regular deal, ADCO and Tornado Technologies come to mind.
They'll turn a 1/2x28 thread on the muzzle and include a thread protector.
You might measure the height of the sight above the bore centerline to make sure they're visible above the 1" diameter can.
You could do the BoMar rib option, but with threads, you're getting up to $625, and they might have to mill the underside of the rib at the muzzle to clear the can.

http://www.clarkcustomguns.com/images/SW41/41rib3.jpg

http://clarkcustomguns.com/images/SW41/570STCPthreaded2.png
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 5:46:42 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm thinking of the same. Generally I pay $50 to get my barrels threaded, but the $325 Clark barrel w/threading looks enticing.  My 41 has a 7" barrel which is a bit long to ensure most rounds to stay subsonic. May have to get Clarks shortest 5.5
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 6:11:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I'm thinking of the same. Generally I pay $50 to get my barrels threaded, but the $325 Clark barrel w/threading looks enticing.  My 41 has a 7" barrel which is a bit long to ensure most rounds to stay subsonic. May have to get Clarks shortest 5.5

CCI standards are probably still subsonic in a 7" barrel.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 9:04:56 PM EDT
[#6]
frog, I've found with my 8.5" Ruger Mk2 TacSol barrel that CCI standards crack with my silencer on. Often a can will increase the velocity due pressure. Most folks have found that by keeping their barrels under 5" that most .22 ammo will not crack. My guess is that a 5.5 barrel may be selective with a can on with faster ammo.  My Buckmark 4" barrel stays subsonic with about anything. I cant decide if I wanna 41 threaded barrel or a shorter Ruger Tacsol Paclite?
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 4:50:04 AM EDT
[#7]
CCI Standards are subsonic in my 6" S&W 422, can be supersonic in my 18" CLE, depending on temp.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 4:51:01 AM EDT
[#8]
CCI Standards are subsonic in my 6" S&W 422, can be supersonic in my 18" CLE, depending on temp.
Fed 714 was subsonic @95 degrees in a 16" M1S.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:34:32 AM EDT
[#9]
frog, is that with a silencer attached?  I have an 24" Anschutz bolt .22 that will crack with CC! standard or any thing similar.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 2:26:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
frog, is that with a silencer attached?  I have an 24" Anschutz bolt .22 that will crack with CC! standard or any thing similar.

Yup, that's how I know it's subsonic.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 3:52:25 PM EDT
[#11]
frog, I suppose elevation plays a critical roll too as you are in Georgia which is much lower therefore your ammo wont crack as readily as mine being I'm at 4,000 ft here in Oregon. Its fun to experiement
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 4:30:32 PM EDT
[#12]
600ft in Ft Worth
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 5:11:30 PM EDT
[#13]
whoops, I looked at the OP's given state.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 6:46:17 PM EDT
[#14]

Mark McWillis at TROS can install a threaded adapter in your barrel, or in a spare barrel if you buy one.

Here is a pic he posted on subguns showing the setup.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 7:23:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Hows that adapter attached given a stock 41 barrel has no threads and is slightly concave to protect the crown?
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 8:39:53 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm not sure of the method - I've only seen the picture, I haven't picked up a suitable M41 yet to have it done myself. Best bet would be to contact Mark directly and ask.

Link Posted: 9/15/2010 2:20:03 AM EDT
[#17]
If you're talking about the Clark, look at the big picture on the website.
It's not "attached", it's turned on a lathe. Chuck it up, turn down a 1/2 diameter lengthof the muzzle, and then turn a thread.

After looking at the Mark Willis page, it looks like he counterbores the barrel and does a female thread, into which he screws his adapter. It ain't rocket science.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 8:59:50 AM EDT
[#18]
Can counterbore potentially mess up the crown if your not super careful? thats what I'm most concerned with. My smith usually throws my barrels on his lathe and using a brass crown saver from Brownells. He didnt disturb the perfect crown when threading my Anschutz rifle
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top