Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/29/2010 9:34:56 AM EDT
I installed an Ed Brown beavertail on one of my SA Mil spec pistols and it was a shit ton of scary filing but the end result was great.   My question is if I bought a Springfield "loaded" that is equipped with one of the .220 radius beavertails can this be recut without welding to allow one of the .250 radius beavertails or is this something I'd have to send out?

Does anyone make a .220 radius beavertail that would come anywhere close to the hand position I get with the Ed Brown beavertail?
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 10:59:17 AM EDT
[#1]
The .22r is smaller than the .25r. If you put the Brown GS on a stock Springfield frame, there is a .03" gap between the frame and the GS.

I have no clue as to why SA didn't go with the industry standard of .25" on that radius.

To weld up a frame and recut it just isn't worth it imo. Not to mention the fact that no matter how well it's welded, it won't take parkerizing in that area the same as the rest of the frame. Ask me how I know. Yes, I welded with 4140 wire. Yes, I've been to school for tig.
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 2:47:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Smith & Alexander make a .220 bt
you can look into those

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 5:58:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Wilson Combat makes one that fits SA.
Link Posted: 8/29/2010 6:57:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
My question is if I bought a Springfield "loaded" that is equipped with one of the .220 radius beavertails can this be recut

The "loaded" guns do not have a .220 radius.  They have a Wilson compound radius.  The GI, Milspec, and older pre "loaded" guns had the .220.
Confusing I know, but I researched this thoroughly when I had a Loaded Champion where I wanted to get rid of the "speed bump" grip safety.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 6:52:08 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My question is if I bought a Springfield "loaded" that is equipped with one of the .220 radius beavertails can this be recut

The "loaded" guns do not have a .220 radius. They have a Wilson compound radius. The GI, Milspec, and older pre "loaded" guns had the .220.

Confusing I know, but I researched this thoroughly when I had a Loaded Champion where I wanted to get rid of the "speed bump" grip safety.
Nice to know. I never measured other SA pistols and figured they were all the same. I have some loaded champions and I hate the speed bumps, too. I think the Ed Brown high sweep is about the most comfortable, highest GS I've seen. I have one on my limited 10 gun and it's so high that I blened it up into the thumb safety. Along with the undercut trigger guard and the Hart's recoil comp guide rod, it's the most comfortable shooting 1911 I have.

Link Posted: 9/4/2010 6:33:42 PM EDT
[#6]

I really don't think changing the safety will net much gain. It is already a nice beavertail with the bump on it. What would changing it to a Wilson or something else give?
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 7:21:48 PM EDT
[#7]
The hand position between the stock SA and an Ed Brown is dramatic.   Comparing my Micro Compact to either of mine with the Ed Brown shows a  big difference in where the pistol sits.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 8:39:24 AM EDT
[#8]
It always strikes as odd that people have no problem cutting their frames highers, but balk at cutting their grip safety higher.  You can rework Wilson and S&A grip safeties to get a grip as high as a Brown.

The reason for the .220" radius is that the tangs on certain manufacturer's frames would not blend properly into the Brown grip safety when cut at .250".

At one time, I believe that EGW offered a Brown-style safety with a narrower radius for botched .250" cuts and those frames which would not blend properly.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 10:27:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I really don't think changing the safety will net much gain. It is already a nice beavertail with the bump on it. What would changing it to a Wilson or something else give?

I sold my Springfield (and bought a Kimber) because I hated the grip safety so much.  It was horribly sharp and actually hurt my hand when it was held properly. Plus the stupid bump makes the entire grip noticeably thicker.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top