Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/9/2010 4:50:02 AM EDT
Gentlemen, I have been a Glock guy for a long time and decided that I need to have a 1911.  I have a feeling once I get one that it won't be my last, but I will worry about that later.  I am publicly admitting that I don't know hardly anything about these guns (I have my flame suite on!) and I am looking for some good advice from experienced shooters before I make my first purchase.  I have been reading this forum for the last couple of weeks and have learned quite a bit.  The following are some questions that I have, your help will be much appreciated.

(1)  My budget limits me to about $1000.00.  I am looking for the best bang for the buck.  A $2k gun is totally out of the question, so please don't talk about them.  Reccomend me some brands and models to look at.

(2)  I have read guys mentioning "options".  What options do I want?

(3)  I really want to buy a gun totally made in the USA, so reccomend accordingly.  I would also want to buy new.  

(4)  It seems that there is a lot of Kimber hate.  Please explain as I have been looking at a TLE II and like it.  What caused the hate?

(5)  Should I get a rail to mount a light or save that for a future gun?  I sleep next to a shotgun at this time, but that might change.  Thoughts?

(6)  Is there something that I DON'T want on a gun?

Thanks in advance for your comments.  

Link Posted: 3/9/2010 4:57:29 AM EDT
[#1]
The hate from Kimber was due to the external extractor, some seen it as a flawed design. Otherwise they are fine 1911s

IMO, I would get a Springfield Loaded 1911A1 in Black stainless.5" . Youll get factory nite sites and ambi safety. They run good right out of the box. THe only things I changed on mine was to put extended slide release and got rid of the ILS (internal locking system) and went with straight backstrap (as apposed to humped).

Im not a fan of 1911s with light rails, I think it takes away from it. If you NEED to have a handgun with a lightrail than get one, youll pay more and finding holsters is a lil more problematic.

Get good quality mags, either wilson, Chip Mccormick or Tripp research.

You can get into a good SA with mags and ammo under 1k easily.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 4:59:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
The hate from Kimber was due to the external extractor, some seen it as a flawed design. Otherwise they are fine 1911s

IMO, I would get a Springfield Loaded 1911A1 in Black stainless. Youll get factory nite sites and ambi safety. They run good right out of the box. THe only things I changed on mine was to put extended slide release and got rid of the ILS (internal locking system) and went with straight backstrap (as apposed to humped).

I second the springer loaded ,I 'd get one of i had the cash.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 5:10:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

IMO, I would get a Springfield Loaded 1911A1 in Black stainless.5" . Youll get factory nite sites and ambi safety. They run good right out of the box. THe only things I changed on mine was to put extended slide release and got rid of the ILS (internal locking system) and went with straight backstrap (as apposed to humped).

Im not a fan of 1911s with light rails, I think it takes away from it. If you NEED to have a handgun with a lightrail than get one, youll pay more and finding holsters is a lil more problematic.

I'll disagree with you on this point, there are many holsters out there to fit 1911s with rails, both leather and tactical non-leather.  I can understand not liking the light rail, but I wouldn't let "lack of holster options" factor into it.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 5:14:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Gentlemen, I have been a Glock guy for a long time and decided that I need to have a 1911.  I have a feeling once I get one that it won't be my last, but I will worry about that later.  I am publicly admitting that I don't know hardly anything about these guns (I have my flame suite on!) and I am looking for some good advice from experienced shooters before I make my first purchase.  I have been reading this forum for the last couple of weeks and have learned quite a bit.  The following are some questions that I have, your help will be much appreciated.

Nothing wrong with not knowing the platform welcome to the 1911 platform also.  We will all like you more if you come in looking to learn and not trolling.  We do not like people who troll and think they know everything while saying the 1911 is crap.  Just like the Glock the 1911 takes heat a lot of times.

(1)  My budget limits me to about $1000.00.  I am looking for the best bang for the buck.  A $2k gun is totally out of the question, so please don't talk about them.  Reccomend me some brands and models to look at.
Used SA TRP
SA MC Operator
KImber Warrior
Dan Wesson Pointman
Colt XSE

This list can go on forever.
at 1000 dollars you will get a few good options
Some Options include
Loop hammer
Beavertail grip safety
Front strap tracking
Match Barrel
Magwell
Fitted Slide to Frame
Tuned Trigger
Etc etc

(3)  I really want to buy a gun totally made in the USA, so reccomend accordingly.  I would also want to buy new.  
Colt
Kimber
SA (NM Serial)

(4)  It seems that there is a lot of Kimber hate.  Please explain as I have been looking at a TLE II and like it.  What caused the hate?
Kimber gets a bad wrap because they produce more pistols then most manufactures and they do have the occasional issues.  They carry a 1 year warranty instead of a lot of mfg that carry lifetime like SA (Springfieled)

(5)  Should I get a rail to mount a light or save that for a future gun?  I sleep next to a shotgun at this time, but that might change.  Thoughts?
This is purely up to you I do not like the rail personally but I would not mind owning one I just prefer non-rail.

Some 1911's are going to have certain options a lot of people are not going to want.
Kimber Swartz Safety
SA Locking Main Spring Housing
S&W/Sig Sauer External Extractor

If you find a pistol that you like post and we can all give you our comments or reviews if we actually own one.  Trust me lots of people will give you opinions take them how you like I try to stay objective but their are some brands that I would never own (Taurus, Para-Ordanance).

Good mags would include Tripp Research, Wilson Combat ETM's or 47D's.  Chip McCormick would not be the best choice for mags not when for a few dollars more you can get Wilson mags.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 5:15:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

1) $1000 will open the door to a pretty wide variety of 1911's

2) As far as options I would recommend getting a gun equipped with at least the following:  upswept beaver tail grip safety, ring hammer, light aluminum trigger, and night sights (ambi safety maybe too)

3) USA made guns for $1000 and under that will contain all of the above mentioned options:  Springfield MC Operator, USED TRP (I didn't mention Loaded because they are made in Brazil and you specifically said made in USA although the loaded is a great line up)........All Kimbers are made in USA, I would recomend the Warrior, TLE II, or CDP II.........Or you can get a COLT XSE.  It won't have night sights, but does come with some nice Novak sights that could easily be replaced with Night Sights.

4) Kimber hate stems from people that have had bad experiences with them going online to find answers to their problems.  Since the 1911 forums are the first place they look, it would appear that a lot of Kimbers go bad.  But in reality Kimber just makes more guns than anyone else, so naturally a higher number will have issues....not necessarily a higher percentage.  I own two and love both (TLE II nd a Warrior)  both are good guns.  I did have to send the TLE in for a repair though.

5)  light rail will depend on what you are going to use the gun for.  If it will be for only home defense or range shooting then yes Get a rail (MC Operator or Kimber Warrior, or Colt XSE Ral Gun).  If you ever intend to carry your 1911 then I probably wouldn't get a rail because holsters will be easier to come by without it.

6) Something that you don't want....I don't want a bunch of ugly giant rollmarks on myslide like STI puts on theirs, but that is an opinion that has nothing to do with function.  Maybe stay away from plastic triggers (STI Spartan).
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 5:25:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 5:30:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
These can be found New for $1000 and fits all your criteria

http://www.novaksights.com/images/GUNS/colt/colt%20rail%20gun/coltrailguncase-Rw.jpg

I have been wanting that exact pistol but no one can get one they say.  But I am just holding out till I find one that I can play with before buying.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 5:31:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

http://www.novaksights.com/images/GUNS/colt/colt%20rail%20gun/coltrailguncase-Rw.jpg

Just go ahead and get the gun pictured in SGB's Avatar.  Sell off all your glocks and you might be able to afford it.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 5:34:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have been wanting that exact pistol but no one can get one they say.  But I am just holding out till I find one that I can play with before buying.

I amlost bought the rail gun instead of the Combat Elite this weekend.  But I didn't only because I already have a Warrior, and one railed 1911 seems like enough for me.  But it is just plain BADASS.

Cabela's stocks the Rail gun for right around $1000.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 5:35:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 5:43:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Just go ahead and get the gun pictured in SGB's Avatar.  Sell off all your glocks and you might be able to afford it.

It's a one of ............. and not for sale.............EVER

Well she is a beauty sir.  That is the definition of my dream gun right there.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 10:49:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nothing wrong with not knowing the platform welcome to the 1911 platform also.  We will all like you more if you come in looking to learn and not trolling.  We do not like people who troll and think they know everything while saying the 1911 is crap.  Just like the Glock the 1911 takes heat a lot of times.

Used SA TRP
SA MC Operator
KImber Warrior
Dan Wesson Pointman
Colt XSE

This list can go on forever.
at 1000 dollars you will get a few good options
Some Options include
Loop hammer
Beavertail grip safety
Front strap tracking
Match Barrel
Magwell
Fitted Slide to Frame
Tuned Trigger
Etc etc

Colt
Kimber
SA (NM Serial)

Kimber gets a bad wrap because they produce more pistols then most manufactures and they do have the occasional issues.  They carry a 1 year warranty instead of a lot of mfg that carry lifetime like SA (Springfieled)

This is purely up to you I do not like the rail personally but I would not mind owning one I just prefer non-rail.

[span style='color: red;']Some 1911's are going to have certain options a lot of people are not going to want.

If you find a pistol that you like post and we can all give you our comments or reviews if we actually own one.  Trust me lots of people will give you opinions take them how you like I try to stay objective but their are some brands that I would never own (Taurus, Para-Ordanance).

Good mags would include Tripp Research, Wilson Combat ETM's or 47D's.  Chip McCormick would not be the best choice for mags not when for a few dollars more you can get Wilson mags.

Agreed with everything except the issues that you don't want.  With a gun of that price range some things might need to be addressed like Kimber's swartz safety and plastic MSH (unless you get the Warrior) and with SA's line of guns you will have to deal with the locking MSH until you can replace it.  The Sig external extractor can be an issue if you are a purist, but their pistols do work fine.  For $1000 I'd either get a Colt or a Warrior or a MC Operator.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 6:40:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Used SA TRP
SA MC Operator
KImber Warrior
Dan Wesson Pointman
Colt XSE

Agreed. I would rank the MC Operator and DW the highest. The only 1911 I would add to that list is the STI Trojan.

Link Posted: 3/9/2010 7:30:38 PM EDT
[#14]
STI Trojan for $1100.00
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 2:40:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Thanks for the great advice, guys.  What is an MSH?  I will post my purchase when it happens.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 2:42:45 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 5:02:16 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Used SA TRP
SA MC Operator
KImber Warrior
Dan Wesson Pointman
Colt XSE

Agreed. I would rank the MC Operator and DW the highest. The only 1911 I would add to that list is the STI Trojan.

No particular order to those other then the TRP on top.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 6:23:38 AM EDT
[#18]
OP - You can get an STI Trojan or an STI Ranger (if you like the shorter slide) for around $1000, probably less.  I saw a few mentions but generally speaking the STIs get left out of the consideration, for some reason.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 1:50:26 PM EDT
[#19]
STI Ranger II 45acp, great pistol, made in Texas, I liked it so much I purchased the same pistol in 9mm as well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top