Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/27/2009 5:23:05 PM EDT
So I just got a very nice used custom (professionally done) 1911 today in 10mm. It shoots great! Got home cleaned it (like any 1911 I have had), and went to put a mag in it. It is my only handgun and was being loaded for Home D. I loaded it with federal hydra shocks, and when I let the slide go the round went off. My finger was off the trigger, and the back safety was not depressed.  What happened? The case showed no difference than any other fired this afternoon. No one was hurt and the round made it past 2 layers of dry wall, and stopped in the ceiling as far as I can tell. Will have to watch for leaking, and wait till it stops raining to check if it made it out of the house. I live in the country to no danger to my neighbors, and no one else was home.  Any Ideas? Could it have been a bad primer? Problems with the firing pin? I am going to take it to a gun smith to be checked before any ammo goes back in it.
Link Posted: 10/27/2009 5:27:54 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

used custom (professionally done)

Define "professionally done".

Link Posted: 10/27/2009 5:28:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Dan Wesson 1911, and I am still shaking. Was only 30 mins ago.
Link Posted: 10/27/2009 5:33:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Did you mean grip safety when you said "back safety"? How does one hold a 1911 without holding the grip safety?
Link Posted: 10/27/2009 5:36:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Sounds like the sear bounced if you did not accidentally bump the trigger.

Id check to see how much tension is being applied with the very left leaf spring
Link Posted: 10/27/2009 5:37:35 PM EDT
[#5]
hammer follow, bad trigger job.
Link Posted: 10/27/2009 5:38:24 PM EDT
[#6]
When I loaded it I kept the web of my hand of the back of the grip. Saw a friend have an ND at the range due to bad trigger discipline (muzzle pointing down range), and since then I keep my hand off it when loading before storage if I intend to store it that way. Also failed to chamber the next round.
Link Posted: 10/27/2009 5:43:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Even if your finger was on the trigger when the slide went forward it should not have gone off.  Your finger is always on the trigger when the slide goes forward when firing a shot.  You have to let up on the trigger far enough for the sear to reset and then pull again to make the hammer fall.

Even if the jarring of the slide hitting forward knocked the hammer off the sear (incorrectly done trigger job) the hammer should have caught on the half cock notch.

Something is bad wrong with that pistol.
Link Posted: 10/27/2009 5:46:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Sounds like it.  

And change your thread title.  If your finger wasn't near the trigger than it was a bona-fide AD.

The only negligence was with the builder.
Link Posted: 10/27/2009 5:47:17 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sounds like it.  

And change your thread title.  If your finger wasn't near the trigger than it was a bona-fide AD.

This

Link Posted: 10/27/2009 5:56:31 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sounds like it.

And change your thread title. If your finger wasn't near the trigger than it was a bona-fide AD.

This

Agree with that, especially if it failed to load another round,it didn't cycle like it would -no finger on trigger .
Link Posted: 10/27/2009 6:03:48 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

So I just got a very nice used custom (professionally done) 1911 today in 10mm.

I think that is the source of the problem.

Link Posted: 10/27/2009 6:10:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
So I just got a very nice used custom (professionally done) 1911 today in 10mm. Took it out today and it shot great! Got home cleaned it (like any 1911 I have had), and went to put a mag in it. It is my only handgun and was being loaded for Home D. I loaded it with federal hydra shocks, and when I let the slide go the round went off. My finger was off the trigger, and the back safety was not depressed.  What happened? The case showed no difference than any other fired this afternoon. No one was hurt and the round made it past 2 layers of dry wall, and stopped in the ceiling as far as I can tell. Will have to watch for leaking, and wait till it stops raining to check if it made it out of the house. I live in the country to no danger to my neighbors, and no one else was home.  Any Ideas? Could it have been a bad primer? Problems with the firing pin? I am going to take it to a gun smith to be checked before any ammo goes back in it.

Did the hammer fall, or was it still cocked?

Series 70 or 80?  Firing pin block?

I guess you are saying the hammer fell impacting the firing pin, so it must not have had a firing pin block.

As above does the hammer have a half-cock notch?

Bad juju, get it checked out.
Link Posted: 10/27/2009 6:17:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
So I just got a very nice used custom (professionally done) 1911 today in 10mm. Took it out today and it shot great! Got home cleaned it (like any 1911 I have had), and went to put a mag in it. It is my only handgun and was being loaded for Home D. I loaded it with federal hydra shocks, and when I let the slide go the round went off. My finger was off the trigger, and the back safety was not depressed.  What happened? The case showed no difference than any other fired this afternoon. No one was hurt and the round made it past 2 layers of dry wall, and stopped in the ceiling as far as I can tell. Will have to watch for leaking, and wait till it stops raining to check if it made it out of the house. I live in the country to no danger to my neighbors, and no one else was home.  Any Ideas? Could it have been a bad primer? Problems with the firing pin? I am going to take it to a gun smith to be checked before any ammo goes back in it.

all out. Only reason I know what I do it because that's how I always do it, kinda my own SOP.

From what I am reading I think so. To be honest it scared the shit out of me! And I am still trying to figure it
I guess you are saying the hammer fell impacting the firing pin, so it must not have had a firing pin block.
all out. Only reason I know what I do it because that's how I always do it, kinda my own SOP.
Yes it goes to half cock.
Link Posted: 10/27/2009 6:18:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Wow.  Glad you didn't pick up any extra orifices.  This is why I always do a function check before buying a 1911.  You never know who might have messed with it.
Link Posted: 10/27/2009 6:22:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Tag for the cause. Sucks man. I bet your ears were ringing.

Get that pistol to a GOOD 1911 smith.
Link Posted: 10/27/2009 6:24:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Yeah glad I had it pointed where if it did. Had it pointed so it would only hurt a wall or two.
Link Posted: 10/27/2009 6:29:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Tag for the cause. Sucks man. I bet your ears were ringing.

Get that pistol to a GOOD 1911 smith.

Actually my ears didn't ring at all.
Link Posted: 10/27/2009 6:35:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Then plus one to you for following the basic rules of firearm safety. Glad nobody got hurt, and get that weapon checked ASAP.
Link Posted: 10/27/2009 6:45:00 PM EDT
[#19]
with a grip that does not engage the grip saftey I can see the gun acting like a limp wrist and not loading another round.
Link Posted: 10/27/2009 7:29:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

From what I am reading I think so. To be honest it scared the shit out of me! And I am still trying to figure it
Yes it goes to half cock.

If it had a half-cock notch and missed it the trigger must be so light it bounced, also the grip safety failed.

You had failures of 2 to 3 safety features of that pistol to fire if you didn't pull the trigger with the grip safety not depressed, or disengaged.

Get it checked out. for your own safety.
Link Posted: 10/27/2009 8:02:57 PM EDT
[#21]
I am getting it fixed ASAP. I will call the manufacturer in the morning. I know the original owner, and he has done no mods of any kind to the pistol.
Link Posted: 10/27/2009 9:19:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Crap ass sear fitting for the win. Glad you didn't get shot!
Link Posted: 10/28/2009 3:28:26 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Either this or a VERY weak firing pin spring that allows slam firing?  

Link Posted: 10/28/2009 3:33:03 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I am getting it fixed ASAP. I will call the manufacturer in the morning. I know the original owner, and he has done no mods of any kind to the pistol.

Since it had "professional" work done on it, don't be surprised if the manufacturer wants nothing to do with it.  Whoever did the "work" on it, should reimburse you.  Send it to someone competent to make it right.
Link Posted: 10/28/2009 3:35:08 AM EDT
[#25]
A 10 mm hole is something we all can do without friend...lol
Link Posted: 10/28/2009 3:58:46 AM EDT
[#26]
The round that went off, was it in a mag when the slide was released or was it in the barrel when the slide was dropped.
Link Posted: 10/28/2009 6:35:44 AM EDT
[#27]
An obvious question, is the firing pin exposed when the slide is retracted? If the firing pin was "stuck" in an exposed condition, it would discharge as it slammed into battery and struck the primer. Have you removed the firing pin and inspected the pin, spring, and channel it sits in?

As someone else said, I would not expect the next round to chamber if you were grasping the gun a mannor that did not press the grip safety. It would be a "limp wrist" situation.
Link Posted: 10/28/2009 6:42:10 AM EDT
[#28]
Had a similar problem recently after a bad trigger job. Luckily i noticed it during a function check. The grip safety tang that stops the trigger was hanging up. The smith took a few thousandths off and it has worked perfectly since. A smith should check all safety parts.
Link Posted: 10/28/2009 6:50:39 AM EDT
[#29]
I've had it happen to me with trigger adjustment being too tight...you might back adjustment (assuming it's an adjustable trigger) 2 full rounds. Take your pistol outside and try dropping slide on a loaded round again...if it doesn't misfire I'd suggest cycling two mags of ammunition through it.. Stay Safe.
Link Posted: 10/28/2009 9:44:40 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 10/28/2009 10:50:49 AM EDT
[#31]
FWIW, this is not the first time I've heard of a Dan Wesson (factory stock) 10mm doing that.
Link Posted: 10/28/2009 11:07:43 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So I just got a very nice used custom (professionally done) 1911 today in 10mm.

I think that is the source of the problem.  

10mm for the fail!

Link Posted: 10/28/2009 11:12:05 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
So I just got a very nice used custom (professionally done) 1911 today in 10mm. It shoots great! Got home cleaned it (like any 1911 I have had), and went to put a mag in it. It is my only handgun and was being loaded for Home D. I loaded it with federal hydra shocks, and when I let the slide go the round went off. My finger was off the trigger, and the back safety was not depressed.  What happened? The case showed no difference than any other fired this afternoon. No one was hurt and the round made it past 2 layers of dry wall, and stopped in the ceiling as far as I can tell. Will have to watch for leaking, and wait till it stops raining to check if it made it out of the house. I live in the country to no danger to my neighbors, and no one else was home.  Any Ideas? Could it have been a bad primer? Problems with the firing pin? I am going to take it to a gun smith to be checked before any ammo goes back in it.

Stupid questions maybe, but how did it go from shooting great to AD in the same day?  Did you possibly do something when you "cleaned it"?
Link Posted: 10/28/2009 12:41:11 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
"I've had it happen to me with trigger adjustment being too tight...you might back adjustment (assuming it's an adjustable trigger) 2 full rounds."

Nope. The overtravel screw has nothing to do with this. 1911 triggers do not work this way.

Edited to add:
Be careful whose advice you take.
All that is required to be a self-proclaimed 'smith' or 'expert' is a computer and a keyboard.

Here's the scenario that put two bullet holes where they didn't belong.. In both instances I had the trigger too tight and disconnector fork was backed off too much. When it got real interesting.. at range, loaded mag, chambered round, trigger finger touching right side of slide stop.....clearly out of trigger well..... turned 1911 sideways and Boom !
You and I have had conversations about how much you know,( you've dedicated your life to the 1911) and how much I don't know...I make no bones about the fact I'm an amateur.... If I'm not working I'm reloading, gun tinkering, or at the range...So with my learners hat on...Please explain if you would. Thanks.

Link Posted: 10/28/2009 1:15:22 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 10/28/2009 2:01:45 PM EDT
[#36]
childish bickering does nothing to solve the problem guys ..
Link Posted: 10/28/2009 2:03:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
childish bickering does nothing to solve the problem guys ..

+1
Link Posted: 10/28/2009 3:04:59 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Yeah glad I had it pointed where if it did. Had it pointed so it would only hurt a wall or two.

Good habits saved some serious pain or your life.. good for you.

Bad smithing job.  I bet it fails a full function safety check.  Take it to a qualified smith for repairs.
Link Posted: 10/28/2009 3:18:00 PM EDT
[#39]
Safety issue.  Pistolwretch is a nationally known expert on the platform.  Time to shut up, listen, and learn my friends and colleagues.

I hope the OP will follow up on the results of troubleshooting performed by a professional gunsmith.  Hopefully this one is more 'professional' than the one that worked on it before.
Link Posted: 10/28/2009 7:35:55 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
An obvious question, is the firing pin exposed when the slide is retracted? If the firing pin was "stuck" in an exposed condition, it would discharge as it slammed into battery and struck the primer. Have you removed the firing pin and inspected the pin, spring, and channel it sits in?

As someone else said, I would not expect the next round to chamber if you were grasping the gun a mannor that did not press the grip safety. It would be a "limp wrist" situation.

+1 for stuck firing pin. I've had that happen to me on a round in the chamber. Slamfires suck.
Link Posted: 10/29/2009 3:32:22 PM EDT
[#41]
Thanks to everyone for all the advise! My buddy gave me my money back and is getting it fixed. We striped it again and couldn't find anything out of the ordinary. Oh well made for an interesting night. But I am very happy that no one was hurt, and very minimal damage to my home!
Link Posted: 10/29/2009 3:56:37 PM EDT
[#42]
hide your dog
Link Posted: 10/29/2009 4:23:59 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Thanks to everyone for all the advise! My buddy gave me my money back and is getting it fixed. We striped it again and couldn't find anything out of the ordinary. Oh well made for an interesting night. But I am very happy that no one was hurt, and very minimal damage to my home!

Keep us updated!
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 8:05:37 AM EDT
[#44]
Does the pistol do this now while dry firing?  If the hammer doesn't follow, and it's the stuck firing pin, you can check that by placing a small piece of blue painters tape over the "primer" of a snap cap.  Release the slide, eject the chambered round and inspect the tape for a dent or mark.

BTW There's nothing custom about a Dan Wesson.  Not a bad pistol, but not on the level of a semi or full house custom.
Link Posted: 11/1/2009 12:08:27 PM EDT
[#45]
Did you look closely at the casing from the round that discharged? did it have a very pronounced hole in the primer from the firing pin strike? Is it a possibility that it could have been ammo related, like maybe a primer not being fully seated in the case, or something like that causing the discharge?

I guess if you see a pronounced indentation from the firing pin, then you would know that the hammer dropped and that would help narrow down the root cause. If the indentation looks like a light strike, or if you see something out of the ordinary, then that may mean the hammer may not have dropped at all. You may have had a stuck firing pin, bad round, etc.

Just a thought
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 8:25:10 PM EDT
[#46]
The casing looked fine.  My friend took it to the shop he got it from, and they took it on trade knowing it was messed up. And I got a used HK USP full size.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top