Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/14/2009 2:05:43 PM EDT
In looking into this on the web I find folks swearing by everything from Mobil 1 synthetic to CLP with a strong camp favoring white lithium grease.  Is there any kind of consensus in this area or will most anything work if you're keeping your gun clean?  Note: I'm not worried about galling.  I have a hard chrome frame and a ceracoat slide.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 2:42:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 2:48:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:57:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Thank you gentlemen..
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 9:15:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Astroglide.  Or spit.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 1:23:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Astroglide.  Or spit.

hahahahahahahaha ..... you just aren't right....
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 5:25:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Everyone has their favorite lube for their gun. This is great, but the only things that really matter in a gun lube are proper viscosity (for the situation), the lube's ability to wet the metal, its density (water displacing?), its ability to stay on the metal where you put it, and of course the cost. Chose an oil that best works in the conditions that you have. I like to use a "gear box lube" from WalMart.

MAX
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 7:09:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Lubriplate. Good for just about any firearm need requiring grease.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 7:20:16 PM EDT
[#8]
grease and CLP
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 3:00:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Everyone has their favorite lube for their gun. This is great, but the only things that really matter in a gun lube are proper viscosity (for the situation), the lube's ability to wet the metal, its density (water displacing?), its ability to stay on the metal where you put it, and of course the cost. Chose an oil that best works in the conditions that you have. I like to use a "gear box lube" from WalMart.

MAX

How do you deal with the smell. Dino gear oil just plain stinks.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 12:19:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Grease for the high contact areas like the barrel hood and frame rails. CLP for whatever else needs lube.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 1:35:54 PM EDT
[#11]
weaponshield or fp-10
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 6:11:42 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

MAX
How do you deal with the smell. Dino gear oil just plain stinks.

I've been using "SuperTech", and haven't noticed an offending odor. Of course, who can smell anything else after a generous application of good old Hoppes #9! I wish they made air fresheners that smell like that!

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 9:45:21 PM EDT
[#13]
A good debunkin of gun lube myths by a professional:

http://grantcunningham.com/lubricants101.html

For sliding bits, white lithium grease is indeed cheap and excellent.  The only specialty lube I like to keep  is Tetra gun grease in my bag for when I'm not home around my other lubricants (just grease and gun oil is all you need).  It is a great grease that really stays in place and does not migrate off the bearing surfaces.  Great for 1911 rails and does not "weep" out the ends even when liberally applied.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top