Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/8/2007 10:39:21 AM EDT
I have a Colt Gold Cup that the finish is a little worn on. Since I intend to be buried with this gun I would like to keep it up. Any suggestions as to where to send it (and approximate price) to refinish it? (Please no references to pink duracoat finishes, please. That joke is getting real old!! )

Thanks in advance, guys!!
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 10:55:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Hard chrome. Prices range $170-$250 depending on who does it.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 10:56:49 AM EDT
[#2]
How worn?

If the gun is anything other than a safe queen, it will quickly show wear even after being reblued.  

Ford's Guns has a good reputation for bluing.  www.fordsguns.com/

Link Posted: 10/8/2007 11:13:32 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
How worn?

If the gun is anything other than a safe queen, it will quickly show wear even after being reblued.  

Ford's Guns has a good reputation for bluing.  www.fordsguns.com/

It was fairly worn when I picked it up at an estate sale and has been my CCW for about a year, so I shoot it a couple of times every week. However, I am looking at picking up a new Wilson Combat at the end of the year, so I thought I would retire the old girl.

So, I guess she will be a safe queen. This is the first gun I have had that I have felt an attachment to. The history behind it (nothing fancy, just belonged to a 90-year-old fella who passed and he "loved" it according to his widow. She sold it to me for $400 instead of a guy who offered her $1000 because she wanted it to "go to a good home".) It has probably had several hundred dollars of custom work done to it (Briley barrel, Bomar sights, very nice trigger job, and I think the tolerances have been tweaked because it doesn't "rattle" like some of the series 70s I have seen at the range.)

All I have done with it up to this point is shoot it and keep it clean. I'll check out Fords. Thanks for the tip.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 11:54:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Why don't you send it to Birdsong for Black-T. Looks similar to blueing, but is a little bit...different.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 1:54:07 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I have a Colt Gold Cup that the finish is a little worn on. Since I intend to be buried with this gun I would like to keep it up. Any suggestions as to where to send it (and approximate price) to refinish it? (Please no references to pink duracoat finishes, please. That joke is getting real old!! )

Thanks in advance, guys!!

Have you considered sending it back to Colt? They do offer refinishing services. You have to call for prices.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 2:14:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 2:44:36 PM EDT
[#7]
You know how girls like shiny things!! A chrome finish is tugging at my leg HARD, but I really think I want to leave this one as original as it was when I got it. The bluing is really pretty.

Maybe I could talk GlockCop into letting me build a 1911 from scratch. Now that would be fun!!
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 2:47:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Why don't you talk him into buying you an STI Eagle in .38 Super, with Heinie sights and hard chrome.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 3:41:26 PM EDT
[#9]
I think you have put enough out there to pick up on with respect to your wishes.

1. If you want to keep it close to its original state you are going to have to leave it alone, or compromise its collectability with rebliung (BFD if you will be buried w it though).

2. If you reblue and continue to use in a holster (carry) you will be doing this over and over again, or you will find you wasted your money the first time if you don't keep rebluing, so you will have to decide whether a) you should reblue at all, b) you should carry should you reblue.  I suggest you embrace either A or B and don't look back.

3. If you want better than "a)" or "b)", you are going to have to reconsider the finish and look into duracoat/armortuff/hardchroming/Black T/etc. which comes with the tradeoff of compromising originality

Link Posted: 10/8/2007 4:36:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Tripp Research for hard chrome
EGW for Etreat.
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 6:06:11 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I think you have put enough out there to pick up on with respect to your wishes.

1. If you want to keep it close to its original state you are going to have to leave it alone, or compromise its collectability with rebliung (BFD if you will be buried w it though).

2. If you reblue and continue to use in a holster (carry) you will be doing this over and over again, or you will find you wasted your money the first time if you don't keep rebluing, so you will have to decide whether a) you should reblue at all, b) you should carry should you reblue.  I suggest you embrace either A or B and don't look back.

3. If you want better than "a)" or "b)", you are going to have to reconsider the finish and look into duracoat/armortuff/hardchroming/Black T/etc. which comes with the tradeoff of compromising originality

OOOOO-Kaaay. Now you have inserted a rational thinking process into this instead of letting me run strictly on emotion. Good food for thought!! Let me think about this some more.

And thanks -- either my husband pays you very, very well or there is a secret society of men out there determined to make me think with my head occassionally!!
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 6:17:22 AM EDT
[#12]
I still vote Black T
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 6:39:41 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I still vote Black T

You are very persistent!!
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 7:00:43 AM EDT
[#14]
After I get a few things done to my new GI, I'm going to have it done in Black T ;)
Link Posted: 10/9/2007 8:34:37 AM EDT
[#15]
My thought is that if you're going to the trouble of sending it out and having it refinished, might as well do it in something that's as long lasting as possible.  That rules out a paint / coating process like ArmorTuff, GunKote, and BlackT.

For my money, I'd either have it hard chrome plated, or if you want a black finish, go with Melonite, E-treat, or another PVD/DLC coating like Ionbond/Bodycote boron carbide.

Unfortunately I think some of these, like Melonite, will require a matte finish and won't work well on a highly polished surface.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top