Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/14/2007 11:39:44 AM EDT
Any one else have one?
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 12:39:57 PM EDT
[#1]
I've shot them, what are you wanting to know (if anything)?????
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 3:14:42 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't have a new one. Just this old thing.

It doesn't do bad.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 4:29:38 AM EDT
[#3]
years ago (i am 40) the day after i turned 21 (on a sunday) i plopped down 650 bucks and bought a stainless series 80 gold cup. after 1k rounds i took it to MD Gunworks, and had lou tighten the fram to slide, new solid match bushing etc... gun shot nice clusters for a while than opened up. the rear pin on the ellison sight kept popping out...pain in the ass. i would up trading the gun 7 yrs ago for a savage 112bt 308- awsome rifle sub moa out to 500. i believe today you can get a far superior gun from kimber- my brother owns several of their 1911's. i own les baer 1911's- the gold cup is in the same range as kimber and my .02 fit finish accuracy goes hand down to kimber.
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 5:53:26 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

gun shot nice clusters for a while than opened up. the rear pin on the ellison sight kept popping out...pain in the ass.

I've heard that from around the late 1960s on that Gold Cups, well, weren't so gold after all.    
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 9:53:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/15/2007 11:01:10 AM EDT
[#6]
My experience with Gold Cups has been that they are great guns as long as you don't shoot them excessively. A friend of mine was an AMU armorer and they used to rebuild their .45's after each season.  That is pretty much the attitude you need to have if you put a thousand plus rounds through a Gold Cup every year.

Kimbers have a better reputation for longevity but I noticed the Gold Match II I bought also had a lighter recoil spring and that needed replaced immediately to tolerate higher powered pin loads without battering the frame and slide. So far after a bit over  1000 rounds it is holding up very well, is still tight and is still very accurate.    

Link Posted: 8/17/2007 9:49:31 AM EDT
[#7]
mine is the stainless version
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 9:58:51 AM EDT
[#8]
I have a National Match. Bought it for an obscenely low price at an estate sale. Tried to give the little old lady more, but all she wanted was for it to go to a good home. It was her late husband's gun and his favorite she said. Had the Bomar sights and Briley barrel when I got it. Wonderfully accurate gun. Of all my guns it is my favorite.
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 10:25:31 AM EDT
[#9]
I almost bought about a year ago.

I didn't, though. The dust cover was milled off center.
Link Posted: 8/17/2007 12:32:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Good casual shooting guns but not the best for they $$ they cost. Deff a case of Pony Premium trumping quality & accuracy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top