Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/23/2007 10:11:40 AM EDT
clike me!

like that one.

are they trash, or should I get the one that has the MS housing all together?
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 10:27:20 AM EDT
[#1]
they are ok....

h/w, if you have hard plastic grips (vs rubber ones), then i would suggest you go w/ an integral magwell, or at least one that attaches in that area

also, a top quality MSH magwell (such as S&A) will be noticibly wider, smoother (but not bulky) and more secure

i'd go w/ an integral smith and alexander myself
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 2:07:22 PM EDT
[#2]
So the ones built into the MS housing are better?  It looks like it would be the one more likely to get damaged, if for some reason tip wasn't flush then it could catch on something and with enough force could snap right off.

I have no experience with any magwells but it appears that it could snap real easy if your not carefull.
Link Posted: 2/23/2007 2:17:12 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
clike me!

like that one.

This is how one looked when on my Colt Commander. Not trash but the stocks had to be relieved to fit properly. And if you changed stocks then you had to do it again.  I now have them off.

Link Posted: 2/23/2007 11:06:22 PM EDT
[#4]
No, not trash.  Just relieve the grips.  

Link Posted: 2/24/2007 6:49:13 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Didn't I say that ?
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 8:35:40 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Didn't I say that ?

Yes,

Nice stainless Colt BTW

Jay
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 8:57:49 AM EDT
[#7]
The intregal MSH/magwells look far better IMHO
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 10:01:49 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
So the ones built into the MS housing are better?  It looks like it would be the one more likely to get damaged, if for some reason tip wasn't flush then it could catch on something and with enough force could snap right off.

I have no experience with any magwells but it appears that it could snap real easy if your not carefull.

i believe the integral ones are better--fit, finish, and function

if you get a quality integral magwell and have a spec 1911, it should fit on fine, w/ no fitting required or any exposed tip to catch on anything

even if the tip were exposed, it would be hard to snap it off--its metal and will more likely bend, which again would be very tough b/c its held onto the MSH w/ the pin and the frame rails....

i have had one of those WC under the grip mag wells, and like i said, they work fine and are good to go as long as you use flexible type grips (as others have said, some grip relief may have to be done on others)

then i went w/ the S&A magwells and they not only have a wider birth (but flush w/ the sides of the grips) but its all just as soild and flush as any other part--i liked em so much, i added one to my 2 kimbers and my old SA SS loaded

Link Posted: 2/24/2007 5:17:07 PM EDT
[#9]
If you use your gun alot, the mag well will eventually end up looking like crap.  Mag wells live a tough life and take a pretty good beating.  The nice thing about the add-on mag well is you can replace it cheaply.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 3:21:43 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Didn't I say that ?

Yes,

Nice stainless Colt BTW

Jay

Thanks from another "Armory Exile" !
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 6:37:30 AM EDT
[#11]
 It depends WHY you wan't one. The primary reason I have a S&A integral is to INCREASE the length of the backstrap (i've got big hands). If you don't want the backstrap any "longer" you can go with whichever for whatever reason. You'r also LESS likely to need fitting with an integrated one.

It depends how you want it to look. How nuch fitting you want to do.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 8:01:53 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
If you use your gun alot, the mag well will eventually end up looking like crap.  Mag wells live a tough life and take a pretty good beating.  The nice thing about the add-on mag well is you can replace it cheaply.

well if thats the case mr melvin_johnson, then the entire gun will end up looking like 'crap'

its kinda hard to use the gun and only have one part roughed up
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 8:18:59 AM EDT
[#13]
The Heinie magwell is super trick. Another good magwell is the Brown Maxiwell. The mag funnel is removable, so it can easily be replaced, or removed if you are worried about printing. My wife has one on her pistol.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 11:25:52 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

well if thats the case mr melvin_johnson, then the entire gun will end up looking like 'crap'

Repetition is the key to mastery.  If you practice your reloads over and ovar and over your mag well is going to look like crap faster than anything else on the gun.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 12:50:35 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Repetition is the key to mastery.  If you practice your reloads over and ovar and over your mag well is going to look like crap faster than anything else on the gun.

oh yes sir, i agree, its just that if you are going to repetedly practice mag changes, then one might also be inclined to practice draw/re-holstering also just as dutifully, and lead to a massive amt of wear all around
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 7:11:04 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
clike me!

like that one.

The Wilson unit works just fine on my Pro Carry II.  It fits tight, doesn't move or shift around.  The only problem is you have to remove it to get the mainspring housing off the pistol.  Which usually means taking off the grip screw bushing. Not a BIG problem but might be a concern if you are working over the trigger group or internal parts fairly often.  I won't have a 1911 carry pistol with out some type of magwell after using one on my carry piece. YMMV
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top