Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/4/2006 5:06:29 PM EDT
Anyone have any experience with them it was only $20 dollars and simple to install and uninstall so I ordered one. Will it impede the operation of the pistol which I have gotten to 100% with all types of ammo? , Will it screw up my barrel or crown?, The bushing slides to the rear during  each ejection of each shell at very high speeds any chance of this thing deforming in a fire fight or digging into the sides of my barrel if it is even slightly off?
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 5:20:31 PM EDT
[#1]
I have seen an shot a Wilson Bushing Comp.  First off the 45acp is a low pressure low gas round and comps need high pressure and high gas volume to work the best.  Most FMJ loads will not produce enough pressure to do much so you would have to hand load to get much effect.  Will it reduce muzzle rise maybe a little but it will be hard to tell whether it is the additional weight or gas.  I will also double the noise from your pistol which can induce flinch and WILL cause hearing damage if you shoot it without protection.  It won't damage your barrel because all the ones I have seen are aluminum.  All the designs I have seen have required a full length guide rod so if you don't have one you might need one.  I would not use it for a carry gun with the comp on it, it could cause holster draw issues and other problems.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 5:26:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Thx for the info, I was just experimenting with my build gun and I thought a compensator would be something new to try since Ive never had a compensator on any of my pistols this is just a range gun anyway. But even with a lighter +p round our just a plain lighter round I wont notice any difference?
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 4:15:07 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Thx for the info, I was just experimenting with my build gun and I thought a compensator would be something new to try since Ive never had a compensator on any of my pistols this is just a range gun anyway. But even with a lighter +p round our just a plain lighter round I wont notice any difference?

Back in the early days of IPSC they used comps on 45's all the time and they "Worked" to some extent but they were pushing 250+ power factor and the recoil increased too.  That is when they started to comp 38 Supers.   You will/may have to use +P ammo because the comp suck energy away from the recoil system, that is why the seem to recoil less.  Will it work sure some what and for $20 on a range gun have fun with it if you don't like the muzzle blast you aren't out much.

I have a 40S&W comp'ed G-35 and with the correct hand load (135gr @ 1350fps) the comp works very well and recoil is like a standard 9mm and muzzle flip is zero which helps the red dot track nicely but it is LOUD and you get powder blown back on you a bit but it is a hoot to shoot at a match.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 4:26:37 AM EDT
[#4]
The replacement bushing type compensators are more of a gimmick than anything.  The whole idea of the comp is to let it vent as much of the gasses up and or to the sides to help with countering the muzzleflip.  The replacement bushing type comp has to have the exit hole large enough for the barrel to move thru and that also lets a LOT of the gasses pass as well.  A true comp will screw on the barrel and the exit hole will be closer to the diameter of the bullet to force as much of the gasses thru the comp ports.  The 45 ACP is a lower pressure round so I would be surprised if you feel much difference.  I would save the money and not bother.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top