Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/31/2006 4:29:34 PM EDT
I've wondered this.  Somewhere along the line, I got the impression that the shooter wasn't supposed to take off the safety until the pistol was on target.

Is this the case?

As I draw my 1911, I thumb the safety during the draw stroke.  If I thumb the safety once I establish my grip and have the pistol on target, with both hands on the gun, I often don't deactivate the grip safety.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 4:57:43 PM EDT
[#1]
I said when you are on target but I missread your ? You should take the safety off while in the draw stroke.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:19:19 PM EDT
[#2]
when i draw, my pistol comes straight up my rib cage. Then, the 2nd move is I then point the pistol down range, so the pistol is perpendicular (sp) to my body. This is where my pistol is on 'target', and that is where my safety comes on.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 8:29:45 PM EDT
[#3]
when you get it past your left hand.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 11:53:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Draw stroke, as soon as the muzzle is pointed in a safe direction away from your body or anything else you don't wish to shoot.  If you're carrying on a empty chamber, best to leave the thumb safety off all the time and incorporate slide racking into your draw stroke (not looking to restart THAT argument ).  
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 5:10:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Why would you carry a 1911 cocked and locked with a empty chamber??

That is most def somekind of sick joke.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 5:15:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Other…
if your in fear for your life and need to fire the weapon there is a point between being in a ready position like low ready and having the gun up and pressing the trigger.  That is when you take the safety off.  When the gums is coming up and on target.        
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 5:37:45 AM EDT
[#7]

Other…
if your in fear for your life and need to fire the weapon there is a point between being in a ready position like low ready and having the gun up and pressing the trigger. That is when you take the safety off. When the gums is coming up and on target.

+

Right on... not as you draw but when in safe direction before you have a sight picture or are on the target.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 5:39:43 AM EDT
[#8]
And your finger doesn't enter the trigger guard until a safe direction.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 5:49:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 6:09:05 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Why would you carry a 1911 cocked and locked with a empty chamber??

That is most def somekind of sick joke.

As ridiculous as it is, some newbies do it
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 12:34:10 PM EDT
[#11]
If your thumb does not stay on top of the safety DURING firing , then you grip is flat WRONG and must be corrected. Take a look at this thread (with photos and video):

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=132711

Regards,

D.C. Johnson
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 1:49:43 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
And your finger doesn't enter the trigger guard until a safe direction you are ready to fire an INTENTIONAL shot.

Good edit on that.  If you're drawing your gun because your life is threatened, the safety goes off when the hands come together in front of you and the finger enters the trigger guard as your arms extend.  Slack is taken out of the trigger before the sights are aligned.  

Now... if you're drawing because you think you'll be needing it shortly but not quite yet, things change.  Presenting to low ready should not have the safety off, nor should your finger enter the trigger guard.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top