Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/18/2006 7:12:20 AM EDT
Fired my Springfield Milspec today, my first 1911..I love this gun, it's accurate and now I know what all the fuss is about these 1911's.  What a great gun to shoot..It fed the 230 grain Wolf ammo perfectly, but seems to have a problem with 230 grain Winchester Ranger....Sometimes won't go fully into battery....Is this a common problem?  What's the fix?  Different ammo?  magazine?  break in?   School me devotees of  John Browning's Masterpiece.....
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 8:20:14 AM EDT
[#1]
It's a new gun.

Make sure it's lubricated and shoot it some. Most guns take a while to loosen up and settle in. We get a lot of folks on the range having problems with new guns but it's because their guns are completely dry. If the problem persists, try a heavier recoil spring.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 11:13:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 11:43:47 AM EDT
[#3]
I alternated between the two, and the problem was only with the winchester....shot the Wolf perfectly throughout....I'll shoot another 300-400 rounds through it in the coming month and see how it reacts...
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 5:20:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Both my MilSpec's have run great on Wolf from day one so it's all I feed them. But I wouldn't be the least bit supprised if one or both wouldn't get finicky with some other types/brands of ammo. It's just the nature of the beast.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 2:19:01 PM EDT
[#5]
feed it some wolf and let it break in a little, some ammo seems to have diffrent rim sizes, i find that wolf ammo needs more tension on the extractor and other brass cased ammo likes a little less, for mine i just found a nice inbetween setting and it feeds everything.
i strongly recommend if you want to mess around with extractor tension to buy a new one and set that one up not toutching the one that works. my first time messing around with it was a headace but i eventually figured it out.
and it could be that you just need a stonger recoil spring, my GI came with a spring that was weaker than the one that came with my loaded model. usually you can just give the rear of the slide a little wack with the palm of your hand and it will close the rest of the way.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 6:51:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Slide fit on new SA's VERY tight.Lube(generously) with a good teflon lube like Mil-tec or Tetra(Break-Free evaps too quickly).Mine has had about 700 rounds now and is STILL very tight.Some folks lap them in a little with a variety of products,never felt the need to personally.Just shoot it,and don't bother with a shok-buff until it gets looser,as it can cause RTB failures even with a heavier spring.YMMV....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top