Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/16/2006 12:12:41 AM EDT
First off, I won't be doing ANY modifications to this gun myself except for the grips.  I was wondering what you do to customize your weapons for purpose and performance.  Looks should follow function and is not necessary for this particular weapon IMO.  The weapon is a Kimber TLE/RL II.  Mostly my bedside gun but I take it to the range as well.  So far I have purchased:

OD gunner grips
4 Wilson Combat 47d's
Surefire X200A
Bladetech holster for railed 1911 and X200A
Bladetech double mag holster

and what I'm looking at purchasing:

S&A magwell
S&A ambi mag release
Wilson drop in mag funnel
Wilson extended slide release
Wilson ambi safety

I have no idea why the S&A parts are so damn expensive.  It seems like Wilson's stuff is pretty much less than half the price of Wilson's from what I've found.  Is there a big difference in the parts?  Also, is a ambi mag release, safety a good modification to make?  I can see how the ext. slide release would help, but if I'm carrying this weapon in my holster I would prefer not getting it hung up on my clothing.  I could use a little guidance here guys!!!  Please!?!?!

-Lost 1911 enthusiast
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 6:49:37 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
<snip>:

OD gunner grips
4 Wilson Combat 47d's
Surefire X200A
Bladetech holster for railed 1911 and X200A
Bladetech double mag holster

and what I'm looking at purchasing:

S&A magwell
S&A ambi mag release
Wilson ambi safety

I have no idea why the S&A parts are so damn expensive.  It seems like Wilson's stuff is pretty much less than half the price of Wilson's from what I've found.  Is there a big difference in the parts?  Also, is a ambi mag release, safety a good modification to make?  I can see how the ext. slide release would help, but if I'm carrying this weapon in my holster I would prefer not getting it hung up on my clothing.  I could use a little guidance here guys!!!  Please!?!?!

-Lost 1911 enthusiast

Little confused on the post, but we'll get through it:

Will this be a DEDICATED carry gun? If yes, then the answers will be easy

If no, will this abe a carry gun and a IDPA/IPSC/Competition gun? If yes, answers will be hard

If no, will this be a dedicated competition gun? If yes, answers will be somewhat easy

let us know..

also, are you right handed our left? how long have you been shooting? how many rounds through the gun right now? Do you have a backup carry gun? If so, what type? How many rounds through your back up?

that will also help
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 8:40:46 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Little confused on the post, but we'll get through it:

Will this be a DEDICATED carry gun? If yes, then the answers will be easy

If no, will this abe a carry gun and a IDPA/IPSC/Competition gun? If yes, answers will be hard

If no, will this be a dedicated competition gun? If yes, answers will be somewhat easy

let us know..

also, are you right handed our left? how long have you been shooting? how many rounds through the gun right now? Do you have a backup carry gun? If so, what type? How many rounds through your back up?

that will also help

Sorry for being so vague.  

Concealed carry here is illegal as of right now but the bill is hitting the governor's desk soon.  I would be carrying this gun as my personal defense weapon if or when the bill gets signed.  I do not plan on going to any competitions of any kind or dedicating this gun to be solely competition.  I take it wherever I go except into the city (for now) so it shold be classified as my sole carry gun.  It comes with me on the trail, in the field, riding around in the truck, checking traps etc.  

I always carry 230gr Speer Gold Dots when NOT at the range.  I've put approx 400 flawless rounds of factory ball through this gun, mostly CCI blazer and Remington UMC 230gr .45 with no FTF's or FTE's.  The gun is an internal extractor with tritium night sights.

I am 21 yrs old, been shooting handguns since i was 14, none of which have been 1911's except for one lama that was my friend's dad's and it shot like crap.  Shot glocks, H&K fullsize, and compact's.  I've shot magnum wheel guns, and several others.  Been shooting shotgun and rifle since i was probably 10yrs old.  On my 21st b-day people were saying "yeah, now you can buy booze!" I said, "Yeah, I can buy my own handguns now!"

Not sure on a backup gun yet but if I had to I would probably say one of those airweight revolvers in .38 on my ankle if I had a choice.

I do have some questions about parts.  I know Kimber uses MIM on some of their parts and I've heard people question the reliability of these parts.  I don't know what MIM parts kimber put on here if but if I could get them replaced with blued stainless or something i would be much happier.  Also, I was wondering if a magwell from wilson would be a good modification along with wilson ambi mag release and ambi safety.  I am ambidextrous and can shoot left handed but i prefer my right hand and so do my eyes.  

EDUCATE ME 1911 GODS!  I AM CLAY IN YOUR HANDS!  MOLD ME!

Link Posted: 3/18/2006 7:23:16 AM EDT
[#3]
unless you are left handed stay away from the ambi parts. As far as magwells they extend the length of the grip and make it harder to conceal when that hopefully for you becomes part of the equation. besides it makes it very difficult to get mags witout base pads to seat in the gun if you ever end up with some (over time you very likely will). as far as etended slide release all the experts (hackathorn, clint smith etc) say to use the rack method of slide release-insert fresh mag and pull slide back and let go- this is better for two reasons- it will work on any pistol regardless of how the gun is equipped (glocks small slide lock is hard to find, sig's is behind the safety on the grip some guns like walthwer ppk's have no extenral lever at all ) and puts a little more force behind the chambering operation to get the round in a dirty chamber or force an out of spec round into the gun.
After all that I guess I am saying to leave the gun as is and spend money on ammo instead!
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 11:28:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 11:33:47 AM EDT
[#5]
no need for these parts on carry gun:
S&A magwell
S&A ambi mag release
Wilson ambi safety.

If you want to change some parts I would recomend 2 items a Wilson Bullet proof slide stop and a wilson tactile carry saftey or an orginal 1911 saftey.

Mythumb would slip off the  kimber slide release, but it sticks good to the Wilson.

Extended or ambi safteys are no place for a carry gun. More than once I have found that the extended saftey that came on my Kimber would go hot from normal day to day activites. The lower profile wilson and stock 1911 saftey keeps this from hapening.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top