Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/15/2006 3:46:08 PM EDT
I am thinking about one of these. However I despise internal locks with a passion (don't bother with the "I throw away the key and don't notice it" statements, it's not the point and no one will change my mind). So, my question... can the lock on the Springfields be removed?

thanks
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 4:27:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Yep !  I did it on mine

Here's a good guide.

forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=135279
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 5:03:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Perfect! Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:04:13 PM EDT
[#3]
the GI comes with the lock! cripes that sucks.
Link Posted: 3/15/2006 6:35:36 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
the GI comes with the lock! cripes that sucks.

Bud , you can fix it for like $25 and 10 minutes
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 12:08:24 AM EDT
[#5]
IF you replace the backstrap (part with the lock) I recommend (but not necessary) getting a new Main spring (they are cheap, even thru Wilson combat). This will give you a nicer , lil bit lighter trigger. The ILS main spring is alot stiffer, etc. It literally takes minutes to change.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 1:13:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Tagged.  I might want to change mine.  

Link Posted: 3/16/2006 2:42:15 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
IF you replace the backstrap (part with the lock) I recommend (but not necessary) getting a new Main spring (they are cheap, even thru Wilson combat). This will give you a nicer , lil bit lighter trigger. The ILS main spring is alot stiffer, etc. It literally takes minutes to change.

If you replace the ILS mainspring housing with a non-ILS housing - it is necessary to replace the mainspring.  The two are of different lengths and imcompatable with the other style.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 3:46:46 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm not much of a 'smith, but it doesn't sound too hard to remove that back piece.

I'm planning on getting a GI and then modding it as funds allow in this order:
a) grips (VZ ultra thin)
b) short trigger installed/action job
c) SA magwell
d) better sights
e) front strap checkering and hi-cut
f) ed brown grip safety
g) refinish in Black T or some durable finish like that.

that's it.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top