User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/26/2006 2:56:15 PM EDT
DA autopistols are very popular today.
What was the major flaw with the Colt?

Price too high?
Metallurgy/defects?
Not reliable?

If Colt made an improved version today , would it sell?
(No Colt or DA pistol Bashing please)
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 4:17:29 PM EDT
[#1]
The Colt 1911 double action conversion was originally done by Seecamp and others, IIRC. The double action trigger pull was very heavy, in the range of 10+ ponds, and it 'stacked' (got heavier) the more it was pulled to the rear.

It was very difficult to shoot DA and the transition to SA was really not very good. Nobody really liked them after trying them. So they did not sell very many. Charles.  
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 5:16:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Actually the Seacamp conversion was a totally different design that used the 1911's original trigger assembly with the actual trigger finger piece cut off.
When the trigger was pulled, it contacted the original trigger bow and operated the sear.

The Double Eagle was a true double action design.

It failed for a number of reasons.
The early guns had a problem with the trigger assembly where under certain circumstances, when the trigger was pulled, the gun would make a "click" but the gun would NOT fire.
After Massood Ayoob wrote about this in an American Handgunner magazine article, the gun's sales took a major hit, and Colt never again advertised in the magazine.

Major working parts and springs were retained ONLY by the grip panels. Remove a grip and spring and small parts went flying.

The appearance of the gun was terrible.  Most people thought it was the ugliest gun Colt ever made.

The trigger pull was lousy, and there was nothing that could be done about it.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:15:50 PM EDT
[#3]
I stand corrected. Thanks dfariswheel. Charles.  
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:26:31 PM EDT
[#4]
1. Springs held in the gun by plastic grips were a BAD idea.
2. Theres just something wrong about a DA .45ACP Colt.
3. Bad timing.  Everyone wanted Hi-cap guns.
4. SIG P220.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:39:31 PM EDT
[#5]
...because it sucked.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 7:57:10 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
The appearance of the gun was terrible.  Most people thought it was the ugliest gun Colt ever made.

And then came the All American 2000, and suddenly the Double Eagle didn't look quite so bad.

Link Posted: 2/27/2006 4:15:05 AM EDT
[#7]
I remember really wanting one of those when they first came out.
I finally saw one at a show and got to try out the trigger.
After I got to dry fire it a few times, I didn't want one anymore.
I remember it was a very long pull, very gritty and heavy.
Kind of reminded me of an abortion of a 1911 & a DA revolver.
I ended up with a S&W 4506 shortly after that.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:19:39 AM EDT
[#8]
........a good idea at the wrong time....for some....actually not that bad of a pistol...but people want 1911`s in the original form...for the most part....double eagles can be found at fairly high prices...often...for...collecting purposes??....don`t know......there are those that desire d/a..as can be seen from the number of d/a 1911 types still available right now.....the double eagle as well as aa2000...were enigmas from the colt braintrust of the time .which the results we are quite aware of...in hindsight of course.............
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:39:14 AM EDT
[#9]
It's fugly
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:55:31 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
It's fugly

In all honesty....I could never...still can`t..understand why anyone would want a 1911 in s/a form.....there are plenty of s/a handguns out there.....and that trigger just don`t fit a 1911 profile.....just my .02............
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top