Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/21/2006 1:15:35 PM EDT
I bought three 7 round Chip McCormick mags for my Kimber Ultra Carry II, it doesnt like them.

What brand should I go with, factory only???

The problem I am having is the bullet is tight, so it wont feed correctly on my feedramp. Slide gets stuck on the bullet.

Should I wedge them a little so the bullet comes out better?
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 1:25:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Wilson Combat 47D's and similar are all good.  I have a handful and they work great.  Get one and try it out.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 1:29:55 PM EDT
[#2]
rogue007, give them a call in Manchaca.  I'm using some of his magazines in my Colt Gov't 1991A1 with no problems.  I'll bet they would make good on their magazines...

I also use some of the Wilson Combat mags mentioned above also.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 1:37:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Wilsons work like a CHAMP!!!!!!

Although if the mags are bad you can send them back to chip and they will replace them within a week.  I have one 10 round mag from chip that the follower would notseat the round properly and I sent it in and they returned a brand new one in package within a week.

But I only use Wilson in my two Kimbers for personal defense!!
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 1:44:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Wilson Combats 47Ds

the CMC springs are overpowered sometimes
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 1:56:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Does the magazine drop free??  It might be binding and squeezing the tube making for improper feeding of the round.  could be that the mag well is a bit tight.  Not to mention I have noticed that cmc mags are a bit wide in the hips.  Does the bullet get caught up when not in the pistol??  Failing that cmc will more then likely make good on the product.

Hope I was a help.  Good luck

Aim Straight and Have Fun
Jon
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 1:56:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Sounds like you bought Shooting Star magazines.  Stick with the McCormick Power Magazines and you'll be fine.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 2:12:40 PM EDT
[#7]
tag
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 2:25:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Wilson's....I have used them for 10 years....excellent mags. Never had a bad one nor one that failed.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 2:41:42 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Wilson's....I have used them for 10 years....excellent mags. Never had a bad one nor one that failed.

+1
The only mags I use or have ever used in my 1911s are Wilson 47Ds.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:12:56 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I bought three 7 round Chip McCormick mags for my Kimber Ultra Carry II, it doesnt like them.

What brand should I go with, factory only???

The problem I am having is the bullet is tight, so it wont feed correctly on my feedramp. Slide gets stuck on the bullet.

Should I wedge them a little so the bullet comes out better?

Wilson's 7 or 8rnder's, Ed Brown 7rnder's and yes, Mec-Gars.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:35:16 PM EDT
[#11]
keep the mags get rid of the kimber
sorry couldnt help myself
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 2:50:54 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Sounds like you bought Shooting Star magazines.  Stick with the McCormick Power Magazines and you'll be fine.

Yeah they are shooting stars.............I think I am going to get some Wilsons........I hate thinking about selling my mini 1911 for something else...

Quoted:
keep the mags get rid of the kimber
sorry couldnt help myself

Its okay, I actually am thinking about it...........

What about factory mags??

I just looked at Wilson mags and FUCK they are expensive!
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 3:06:15 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I just looked at Wilson mags and FUCK they are expensive!

Power Mags

47D
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 3:43:31 AM EDT
[#14]
....midway has had wilson mags for 21-22 dollars lately........shooting stars should work fine...colt uses that follower........isn`t the ultra carry a officers length frame?......hhhhmmm......that sure would mess up with a std length mag....hhhhmmmm....................
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 4:03:08 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
isn`t the ultra carry a officers length frame?......hhhhmmm......that sure would mess up with a std length mag....hhhhmmmm....................

That's a good point.  I'm not entirely certain of the frame length of the Ultra Carry, but if he's trying to use full length mags in a shortened gripframe then that could lead to problems.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:42:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Wilson 47D's !!!

I've had bad luck with Chip's myself. Run 47D's in all my 1911's, no problems.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 8:06:47 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
isn`t the ultra carry a officers length frame?......hhhhmmm......that sure would mess up with a std length mag....hhhhmmmm....................

That's a good point.  I'm not entirely certain of the frame length of the Ultra Carry, but if he's trying to use full length mags in a shortened gripframe then that could lead to problems.

It is a officers frame size, I checked it out and I might want to go with the 47DOXB's, at least ican get 1 extra round in it......

Link Posted: 2/22/2006 4:42:51 PM EDT
[#18]
The Chip McCormick mags have way too much  "sproing" to them.

The USGI 7 rounders are cheap & and a good bet if your on a budget.  After trying for a long time on the Chip "Power Mags", I've given up.  I think I might get some 47D's ASAP.....
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:05:10 PM EDT
[#19]
See, I'm just the opposite (and that's not unusual).

My Colts, Kimber and Springfield all run great with Chip McC mags.  I've had a problem with the followers on the Wilsons wearing down and not activating the slide stop.  I like it when the slide stop works.  I think the Wilsons would be perfect if they had a metal follower.

At some point, I bought a Kimber and the Chip McC shooting stars were the stock magazine.  That may have since changed.  Either way, I tend to run Power Mags in all of my 1911s now.

Cheers,

kk7sm
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 8:43:35 PM EDT
[#20]
I've yet to buy some more mags for my Ultra II, but the factory mag has been 100%. If you are trying to save money you might get some more of them.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 5:31:09 AM EDT
[#21]
IMHO, the best you can do is Tripp Research conversions:

http://www.trippresearch.com/products/upgrade/upgrade.htm

I've converted some CMC power mags with these and have been using them for about a year.  I run them in 4 different 1911s, and have had zero malfunctions.  I can't say that about any other mags.  The only problem is they are 7 round conversions.  I'm sure the Tripp Cobra complete magazines probably work just as good.

I've also got 47Ds and have never had a problem with them.  The springs sure do seem weak though.

John
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 10:08:59 AM EDT
[#22]
if you're looking for Wilson 47D's, I bought some from Lone Star Wholesale. They have 'em for $25 or 5 for $105. Don't know how they are on shipping as I bought them from their table at the Market Hall gunshow in Dallas. They also list the 47OX mags for the Officers frame size.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 11:43:10 AM EDT
[#23]
I had a batch of Power mags and traded them off as soon as I shot them.  I noticed that I would frequently get a failure to go into battery on the last round from the magazine.  I think I know what was happening.  The smooth, flat steel follower doesn't have enough friction to keep the last round in place.  I think it was allowing the last round to mump out of the mag ahead of the extractor.  Sometimes, the extractor would jump the rim, but that's very bad for the extractor.  

I tried Tripp mags, but wasn't totally satisfied with them in my Caspian.  They will not feel the top round with hollow points.  It does fine with FMJ and flat points, but will jam with my defensive ammo.  I only use Wilson 47D now.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 1:57:21 AM EDT
[#24]
ive used just about every brand out there and theres non finer out of the box then wilson 47ds
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 10:02:53 AM EDT
[#25]
I had lots of FTF's with the two 8 round CMC mags that I used (230 ball, tried Colt SA, and Baer
pistols)

Crushed them in a vise and bought more Wilson 47D's.

i've never had any problems with Wilson, Baer, or Tripp mags.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 7:50:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Get wilsons and never look back.  I have bought just about every mag out there and regreted every purchase except the ones with Wilson on them.  
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 7:51:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Big old +1 on the Wilson 47D's....
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 8:36:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Tripp Research
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top