Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/18/2006 3:04:50 PM EDT
Question (1): I have SA GI .45. I realize this is a throwback to WWII, but ive been slowly moderizing it somewhat. Im wanting to find info on have the magwell beveled to make mag changes easier and smoother. I dont wanna add an external flared magwell. I sent email to SpringField but havent heard back. I was goin to Email or call Wilson and get price. I was jus wanting to know if anyone had any experience doin this themselves or what kinda quality could I expect sending it out

Question (2): I have the orange discount paper that came with my SA GI .45. I was goin to send it off and get 10 7 rd. SA mags but wanted to find out what kinda quallity they are. I picked up some cheapos from Sportsmans guide and they work but wouldnt mind getting something a lil better quality without spending 20bux +, on mags.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 3:39:20 PM EDT
[#1]
I got ten of those mags, replace the stock springs with Wolff's 11 pound spring they have been 100% reliable.

On the first part of you question, a local smith can do that pretty cheap, Springfield has costum shop prices on thier web sight.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 7:20:32 PM EDT
[#2]
I bought the mags and they are pretty reliable to me.  No failure to feeds yet.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 9:45:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Can't help on question #2.

But question #1:

I purchased a Wilson Speed-Chute for my Kimber and blended it in myself. I used hand files to prevent any high speed screw ups I might get with a Dremel. Followed up with progressively higher, finer,  grits of sandpaper.  Used a black Sharpie at times to keep better track of where material had and hadn't been removed. To be honest though just feeling with your finger will give you better feedback.

I haven't bother with a refinish on the filed area yet as it can't be seen and the body filed on is aluminium so I'm not to concerned with corrosion at this time.
I'd say the hardest part is making the first couple of strokes with the file. After that it's too late to go back.

Edit To Add: I used small fine files. Sometimes called jewelers files.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 5:59:55 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Question (2): I have the orange discount paper that came with my SA GI .45. I was goin to send it off and get 10 7 rd. SA mags but wanted to find out what kinda quallity they are.

One of my training partners bought a loaded parked Springer in early summer, 2004. He buys ammo by the case so has a very accurate idea of round count. He has almost exactly 7K through his pistol as of last Wednesday night. This was his first 1911.

The last few range sessions, he has been experiencing some jams-double feeds. I checked his extractor (tension fine) and suggested installing new springs. I also suggested he buy some new mags. He had been using the same 2 factory mags for the whole 7,000 ROUNDS!!!  They look a little beat

So his factory mags were good for over 3,000 rounds each before developing some issues. Not too shabby, IMO.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:35:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Fromw what I've heard so far, springfield does great work. I have a gi model too and its been great so far with about 700 rnds through it. I bought a smith alexander magwell and blended it in a little bit which is all it needed.

I also bought 6 of the springer mags with my coupon and they work great so far. I also have a  1911 parts gun  I built that wouldnt function properly before, once I started using the springer mags with it it has run perfectly.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:05:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Cool, thanks for the replies. Im sending off to get 10 of the SA mags. Ill wait to see what kinda price they will quote me to do the magwell deal.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 8:36:31 AM EDT
[#7]
You can easily bevel your magwell yourself with files and/or a dremel tool and finish it off with some sanding.    If its a blued or parked gun you may want to refinish.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 8:41:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Pick up this book-

It's an excellent resource and guide...I got one years ago and still use it..
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top