Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/11/2006 11:47:22 AM EDT
Hey all,
I just posted this on LTW, so if you saw it there, no need to keep on reading...
I've been thinking of acquiring a 10mm 1911. I'd love to have a Delta, BUT every one I've seen is commanding a premium price and NIB ones are easily around the $1500 mark.  I'm leery of buying a used one, particularly since they haven't been made for a while, and some of the people selling aren't the original owners (so they don't know things like the round count etc).  This has me wondering. Since even if I did get a Colt, I'd prolly send it out for some work, I've been wondering if I'd be better off just having the gun built from scratch (Caspian frame/slide, Bar-Sto barrel, etc)? I mean looking at the prices, I figure the Caspian frame/slide would set me back around $460 if I went with stainless and low Heine sight cut and significantly less if I went with carbon and USGI sight cut, a Bar-Sto 10mm barrel around $200.

Now, I'm debating whether some of the options from Caspian would save me money (dehorn is $22 , 20LPI checkering from Caspian is $80, hand fit slide/frame 90% is $50) or if I'd regret not having a smith do it.

I know that doing anything custom is hardly "saving money", BUT in your opinion, do you think I'd be able to get a really nice 10mm 1911 built up (with quality parts etc) for not much more than I'm seeing NIB Colt Deltas going for ($1500-ish)?

Thanks
Rich
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 1:13:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Unless you have to have a Colt, I'd go with a build on a Caspian slide and frame.  You can find a good used Delta for around $1000, but that's still way more than a slide and frame will run you.  Unless you can handle the gun beforehand, you are taking a risk on the condition of the gun.  Most sellers out there are honest folks, but there are some who mis-represent their wares and won't honor an inspection period after they have your cash.  As far as having Caspian do any work, pick a gunsmith you want to have make your gun and discuss it with them.  The 'smiths I've spoken to about a project like this would prefer to do the work themselves, as they know it will be done right and they won't have to correct anyone else's mistakes.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 3:49:39 PM EDT
[#2]
There is  Baer if that is good enough. I would buy one from them before paying a premium for a used Delta. .02
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 4:19:57 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
There is  Baer if that is good enough. I would buy one from them before paying a premium for a used Delta. .02

True, then again, I know Nighthawk makes 'em too.  But that would be $2K+
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 4:58:09 PM EDT
[#4]
You're looking at 2K+ to have one built, too, once you figure in all of the parts and labor.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 5:16:53 PM EDT
[#5]
you could always go with a Dan Wesson in 10mm (click pic) or any of the other 10mm 1911's such as Kimber's Stainless Target II/Eclipse Custom II/ in 10mm,

Link Posted: 2/11/2006 6:15:00 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
you could always go with a Dan Wesson in 10mm (click pic) or any of the other 10mm 1911's such as Kimber's Stainless Target II/Eclipse Custom II/ in 10mm,

www.cz-usa.com/images/products/66.jpg

Yeah, but I don't want forward cockers or a bobtail.  Just a cosmetically plain 5" 1911.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 7:21:34 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Yeah, but I don't want forward cockers or a bobtail.  Just a cosmetically plain 5" 1911.

that's not the only model they offer.  and if the serrations are a problem, the building your own, or a Delta are the only options that I know of that fit your criteria.  But for the money, the DW seems to be the best choice in 10mm

Link Posted: 2/12/2006 2:32:36 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
But for the money, the DW seems to be the best choice in 10mm

I think the Dan Wesson would be hard to beat right now.  I wish I would have waited for the 10mm bobtail to come out.  Since you don't want the bobtail, try to find a dealer that carries DW and ask about a fullsize, they are remarkable guns.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 2:41:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Holy crap that's how much they are now.I bought mine back when they frist came out in the 80's only for about $500
Top Top