Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/29/2006 6:02:36 AM EDT
I just recently purchased a set of hex head grip screws to replace the slotted ones on my Smith 1911.  They are from JTM Company.

After removing the factory screws, I tried to install these.  They went in about 1 turn and then became very tight.  They appear to be the same thread, but I don't want to take a chance on stripping out the bushings.  One difference is the factory screws have a small lead in at the tip where there are no threads.  The JTM ones have threads all the way to the end of the screw.

Does anyone know if these will work?  I think if I go ahead and tighten them up, they will be ok.  But like I said, I don't want to mess anything up.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 6:43:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 7:18:41 AM EDT
[#2]
thanks, I didn't know that...Well I guess I got screwed out of $10 at the funshow....
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:36:10 AM EDT
[#4]
I don't know the product, but when you describe trying to insert the screws, it almost sounds like my experience (non-gun) in mixing metric screws with standard nuts or vice/versa. Try holding the stock screw reversed to the new screw and meshing the threads. If they won't totally match up and interlace, they're different.

+1 on Brownells, so far they've been great for me on several orders.

T Bone (Detroit).
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 11:36:35 AM EDT
[#5]
SGB, thanks for the link.  Order placed.  I had checked several others and I could not find anyone with parcel post shipping.   S&W wanted $6 for the screws and $9 for shipping.  Oh well, I have got that much in them now.

Brownells was only $4 shipping.

I am pretty sure the threads are the same.  The factory threads have and area about 1/32 of an inch long with no threads.  Like a lead in.  The ones I bought didn't. Their threads went all the way to the end of the screw.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top