Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/21/2006 6:01:13 PM EDT
I recently shot a friend's Kimber Raptor series pistol, 5".  I remember how it felt in my hands.  I love how thin the gun felt, although some of the grip area seemed sharp.  

I decided to look at Smith and Wesson 1911 pistols.  I went to a gun show today, and was able to handle 2 S&Ws.  First time I had seen one.  For some reason, the gun just felt thicker than the Kimber.  Maybe the whole gun was thicker, I don't know.  I didn't see any specs on width on the S&W website.  Could the replaceable grip part on the S&W be swapped to something more like the Kimber grips?  Are the pistols the same width in the grip area minus the removable grip parts?

I just remember how sleek and slim the Kimber looked and felt.  I didn't get that feeling with the S&W.  If I could replace the grips with something thinner on the S&W, I'd be happy.  I assume both S&Ws I handled had factory grips.  They were both SC models, although I think I like the PD model better, from what I've read.  This will be my first 1911.  Thanks for any help.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 6:12:30 PM EDT
[#1]
I've noticed that different grip panels vary in width from one manufacturer to another. You can also replace them with panels that are approximately one third the thickness of standard panels. This also requires replacing the grip screw studs.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 7:43:15 PM EDT
[#2]
with out the use of a micrometer, i cant tell you the difference between colt, smith, kimber or springfield. but.
I do know the widths  of the frame vary from model to model, in addition any frame that has been checkered on the front strap will be thinner in overall dimensions, hense changing the feel..
a non checkered frame will feel thicker than a checkered one because it is..
a springfield vs a colt,
spring field feels thicker to me and something in recent memory tells me I read somewhere springers are thicker..
i no longer have a springfield as compared to colt and kimber it just never felt right..
the stocks vary from model to model, maker to maker, material to material.
none i have seen are exactly to measure to another but very close
just my two cents.

Link Posted: 1/22/2006 5:57:51 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd be suprised if ALL 1911's were the same (dimension) in ANY area.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top