Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/20/2006 2:40:41 PM EDT
Just put a set of Gunners on my 1911, and the left side grip panel is loose even with the screws tightened. I think the holes in the grip are too deep and the screw is just hitting the bushing.

Is there anything I can do to fix this short of getting new grips or having slim bushing installed?

I'm going to the store to get some o-rings and try that. Anyone have any other suggestions?

edit - I put some AR15 extractor o-rings on the grip screws and they tightened up ok, but it seems like a band-aid fix that I shouldn't have to do on a set of $65 grips.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 4:27:00 PM EDT
[#1]
It the gun a SA? I noticed that SAs seem to have a problem with that. I had grips that fit perfectly on other 1911s end up too loose on 2 different SAs. You can always replace the bushings with better ones that will be the correct length or file them down a bit. [I really do not recommend this but I have done it when I had no other choice] I would replace the bushings myself, and loctite them into the frame at the same time.  
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 4:27:37 PM EDT
[#2]
O-rings should work just fine.  Bandaid...yes, but a damn good one.  My gunners fit just fine, so it may not be the grips.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 9:28:50 PM EDT
[#3]
I searched around on 1911forum, and this problem is not unheard of with Gunners. O-rings were the preferred fix. I'm not worried about it any more.

BTW, pistol is an RRA. The factory grips, rosewood grips from Brownells, and VZs all tightened up just fine, so the problem is definitely the grip panel.

Thanks for the help guys.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 10:57:44 PM EDT
[#4]
I had to do the exact same thing on mine....those O rings should work for a long time and I figured its not really a big deal to change them out every once in a while vice going through the hassle to redo the bushings
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 5:33:33 AM EDT
[#5]
Take one of the screws to your local hardware store and get the smallest o-rings that will fit.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 4:36:03 PM EDT
[#6]

Help.  

I have a Springfield Armory G.I. 1911.  It came with the G.I. grips and I wanted to change to the checkered grips.  I got a set of plastic grips from a gun show.  That's the start of my problems.  

I took the left side off and attempted to put the new grip on.  The holes wouldn't go over the bushings.  I worked the grips and finally got the grips on the bushings.  I tightened that side.  

I attempted to take the right side grip off.  The top bushing came off with the grip.  

I put the original grips back on.    

How can I get the bushing off if the bushing comes off with the grip and screw?  

Link Posted: 1/22/2006 7:12:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Take the bushing and the mated screw out together.  Put loctite on the bushing and reinstall.  Wait...for the the loctite to set then remove the screw.  If that does not work you can put the bushing in a padded vice and remove that way.  Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 11:04:51 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Take the bushing and the mated screw out together.  Put loctite on the bushing and reinstall.  Wait...for the the loctite to set then remove the screw.  If that does not work you can put the bushing in a padded vice and remove that way.  Hope this helps.

Thanks I'll try it.  

Link Posted: 1/23/2006 6:46:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Be very careful installing the bushing screw that is mated with the grip screw which is around the grip.  From experience, and Kuhnhausen's 1911 shop manual mentions it, many damaged frame threads are caused in this way.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top