Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/11/2006 12:24:02 AM EDT
If it works properly what is wrong with an external extractor on a 1911?
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 12:58:48 AM EDT
[#1]
nothing, except that it makes the 1911 look weird and non-traditional.....

Link Posted: 1/11/2006 1:33:33 AM EDT
[#2]
why have one? whats wrong with the original?? thats what i dont understand.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 11:43:23 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
why have one? whats wrong with the original?? thats what i dont understand.

Nothing wrong with a Model T Ford either...
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 11:44:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Here's the line of thinking that I've gathered from various boards: you can find an internal extractor anywhere. Since the external extractors are proprietary, it might be harder to find one if TSHTF.

I don't buy it. If you're worried about parts availablility, buy a few spare extractors. How many are you really going to need?

From a functional standpoint, an external extractor is probably better anyway if properly designed (in other words, not Kimber's). Most pistols have them. I never hear about extraction issues with Glocks or SIGs.

I won't buy an external extractor 1911 because for some reason, the guns that have them also have FP safeties. That's much more of an issue to me and it's the only thing keeping me from buying a SW1911PD.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 11:37:09 PM EDT
[#5]
What is an FP saftey?
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 11:42:54 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
What is an FP saftey?

useless imo
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 6:05:14 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
What is an FP saftey?

Firing pin safety.  From what I remember reading on various articles, it engages automatically on the 1911 and disengages when you either:  grip the gun or pull on the trigger.  Most folks think (and so do I) that it is an un-needed  part that might eventually break down and cause a malfunction.  
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 6:15:35 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
What is an FP saftey?

Firing pin safety. There are two kinds used on 1911s: the Colt Series 80 and the Schwartz type used by Kimber and S&W.

They are both pointless.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 6:36:38 AM EDT
[#9]
FWIW, my father has seen two 1911s discharge when dropped (not his own). He now prefers drop-safe (Colt Series 80 in his case) 1911s for working purposes. Sorry I don't have more details right now, I'm on the other side of the planet right now.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 8:52:08 AM EDT
[#10]
if you are worried about dropping a 1911 w/o a fp safety then get a Ti firing pin, they cant get enough umph on there own to set off a primer
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 9:14:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Have you ever tried to find a replacement spring for and external extractor?  See if you can find a source for a Sig GSR extractor spring.  For that matter, see if you can find one for a Kimber.  I've tried.  I'm sure its possible, but it sure isn't easy and that is a part that needs replaced fairly frequently.  On my old GSR, it wore out after about 1000 rounds.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 10:34:31 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Have you ever tried to find a replacement spring for and external extractor?  See if you can find a source for a Sig GSR extractor spring.  For that matter, see if you can find one for a Kimber.  I've tried.  I'm sure its possible, but it sure isn't easy and that is a part that needs replaced fairly frequently.  On my old GSR, it wore out after about 1000 rounds.

Wolff sells an extra-power external extractor spring for Kimbers. Not on the website though.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 12:37:43 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

You mean SIG and Kimber would refuse to sell me one? If they will not that does not speak well for thier company.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 8:08:16 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
What is an FP saftey?

Firing pin safety. There are two kinds used on 1911s: the Colt Series 80 and the Schwartz type used by Kimber and S&W.

They are both pointless.

Not to Hijack, but what is the Schwartz  type FPS?  How is it different from the Model 80 FPS?
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:40:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Schwartz is deactivated with the grip safety.

Model 80 FPS is deactivated with the trigger.

In theory the Schwartz system allows for an easier trigger job

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:12:56 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
If it works properly what is wrong with an external extractor on a 1911?

In my opinion the worst thing about the external extractors is that they're ugly and just don't "look right" on a 1911.  From personal experience, Kimber hasn't quite figured out how to make theirs work yet.  From what I've read, S&W has got their design working just fine.

I believe the main reason for going to the external extractors by gun manufacturers was for marketing purposes (get the new "tactical" extractor if you want to be a real operator) and also to ease manufacturing.  If 1911's aren't extracting correctly, it seems like it's usually an extractor that wasn't tuned correctly before leaving the factory.  The external extractor takes care of this problem because a coil spring is used which removes the need for anything to be adjusted or set regarding the extractor.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top