Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/2/2006 7:32:47 PM EDT
Military Specifications call for the standard abrrel bushing guide rod set up.  The Sprinfield MC Operator has this, yet the Kimber light rail gun (LAPD model) has the full length guide rod.  What the heck is the major difference?

What is your preference and why?
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 7:58:20 PM EDT
[#1]

All I know is I have a two piece full leangth in my SA Bi Tone loaded and as soon as I get to it I am going to the plug ste up my G.I. has. The reason is The plug is simpler for me to disasemble the pistol and there is no reliability or accuracy advantage that it has over my G.I. so I am changing it. Some people say the full leangth makes it more accurate and reliable but personaly I do not believe it but I say use what you like. I have not noticed an accuracy decrease or reliability problems with my full leangth either so what ever makes you feel warm and fuzzy. For me it is the plug and standard rod set up.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 10:30:16 PM EDT
[#2]
the two piece full guide rod is a pain...having to deal with the allen wrench....if you would try the solid full length guide rod you don't have to use a allen and it's much easier to remove...to me it's just as easy as a plug...

Russell / jackpot
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 2:09:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 2:47:14 AM EDT
[#4]
The FLGR is supposed to keep the spring from binding or kinking.  That being said, I opt for the one piece FLGR, so I don't have the front half come off during shooting.  Not very likely, but not very fun either.  Whatever floats your boat.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 3:20:11 AM EDT
[#5]
I have both the short USGI type (Kimber Warrior) and the Wilson 1 piece full length (Gold Cup) and can see no appreciable difference in handling or ease of takedown.  I have read about people having trouble with the 2 piece guide rods and would stay away from them.  Otherwise, it is six of one - half a dozen of the other in my opinion.  
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 3:30:20 AM EDT
[#6]
I switch all of my 1911s to  the standard GI plug and guide. I like to be able to strip my guns without tools.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 5:14:35 AM EDT
[#7]
On a bushing  barrel, a FLGR is nothing except a PITA.

Pure and simple.

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 10:36:15 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Pure and simple.

PITA ?
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 11:03:05 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Pure and simple.

PITA ?

Pain in the ass.

I switched my TLE from the stock FLGR to a short guide rod and plug about a year ago.  Disassembly is MUCH easier and I can't appreciate any difference in feel.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 11:07:18 AM EDT
[#10]
It doesn't really make any difference to me.  That's just one of the things I leave however it came when I bought it.  Not worth losing sleep over.  

My Colt, short guide rod and plug.
Springfield, 2 piece guide rod
Kimber, 1 piece guide rod.

They all seem to work ok.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 11:26:38 AM EDT
[#11]
I bought the Wilson one piece FLGR and disassembly is just as easy as with the short GI style plug -- no tools at all.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 11:55:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Doesn't make a difference either way. If it comes with a FLGR keep it. If it comes with a G.I. plug keep it. If it comes with a 2 piece FLGR replace it with either of the other two.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:16:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Anything special required to replace a 2-piece FLGR?  Is it a matter of dropping the USGI setup in?

Link Posted: 1/11/2006 5:22:33 PM EDT
[#14]
That is correct, pull out the 2 piece rod and replace with GI spring guide and GI recoil spring plug. You also replace the recoil spring plug that came with the 2 piece guide rod.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:27:30 PM EDT
[#15]
I'll add my .2cents.  One of the advantages of the G.I g/r is it does not need a bushing wrench.  However, if you are going to spend the money on a nicely checkered plug, I would recomend using a bushing wrench so you do not mess up the checkering.  Either way, one piece or G.I style are good to go.  2 piece sucks IMO...just my .2cents.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 9:23:40 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
FLGR is a solution in search of a non existant problem.

+1
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 2:12:13 AM EDT
[#17]
A FLGR also prevents you from cycling the pistol by pushing the bottom edge of the slide against somthing hard (table top, for instance).  Not that one normally does this.....but it's nice to have the option of "one handed operation", should the need arise.
It also allows my favored method of "press checking"...........with your non-shooting hand, hook your thumb inside the triggerguard, then reach forward with your index finger (placing it on top of the plug).  Squeeze, and you can check your chamber's status.......without placing your finger in front of the muzzle.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 9:23:10 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I bought the Wilson one piece FLGR and disassembly is just as easy as with the short GI style plug -- no tools at all.

+1

And the FLGR makes a good field-expedient squib or cleaning rod.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 9:33:05 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

Cool.  I never thought of that.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 12:02:04 PM EDT
[#20]
For a duty or carry pistol there is no reason for a FLGR.  Also, if for some reason the gun is dropped or somehow the FLGR plug is hit at  the wrong angle the lip around the hole can bend and make the pistol in-operable.    
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 7:54:41 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
FLGR is a solution in search of a non existant problem.

.unfortunately..we will all be dead before this controversy will....even the top quality mfgrs cannot agree as to whether or not to use...some do some don`t.....in my experience...a piece of crap gun most likely could benifit from this mod...but in better quality guns who knows for sure....i looked at many different makes of pistols and decided that most of the better ones do use a guide rod...i believe that using a guide rod helps to produce consistent spring compression as compared to a "free" spring that may not "bind" up the same on each recoil..if tis is true???..but for the price i will take any help i may get....in the case of colt officers....the plug is held in place with a lug on the bottom...if this "should" manage to break you`re out of luck....... far as taking the gun apart....for me either is no big deal.......
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 8:25:46 AM EDT
[#22]
So, I have a question.

On my Springfield, if I unscrew the front part of the 2 piece guide rod and just leave the back part in, the pistol still appears to operate.  I haven't tried shooting it like that, but it seems like it would run like that.  I'm half tempted to just shoot it at the range with the guide rod disassembled.

Seems to me, that'd be just about the same as the GI setup.

Cheers,

kk7sm

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 8:36:32 AM EDT
[#23]
Problem is the front of base piece still in the pistol is not radiused to allow the spring to slide over it.

Eventually the spring will bind against the sharp edge of the base piece, causing a malfunction.

Eventually may be a very long time though...

Would be interesting, take it to the range and see how long it works.

I would however advise against using for self-defense with this particular setup.

And in terms of press-checking, putting your hand that close to the muzzle can be a risky propositon.
Forward slide serrations allow one to grip the slide and pull back, without putting fingers near the muzzle. Anytime you have body parts forward of the muzzle, which a proper press check does... you open yourself up to being called "Lefty" or some such moniker.

I base the above comments, in regards to press-checks, on the training I have received as well as based on my experience at IDPA shoots, where a proper press check will get you DQed from the match. Based on those experiences I broke myself of the press check habit. YMMV.

Link Posted: 1/16/2006 8:43:44 AM EDT
[#24]
I've broken three Heinie tungsten one-piece guide rods where the rod screws into the rod guide head.  Once in an indoor range -- when it snapped I could hear it clanging downrange on the concrete floor.  Pistol still functioned, though.

American Handgunner even did a test between the two, just for giggles.  The high-dollar pistol shot fractionally better with the GI guide than the full-length rod.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 11:55:25 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

+1

the only usefull thing about it.......now if it came w/ patches and CLP too
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top