Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/2/2006 12:34:32 PM EDT
How hard is it to build an STI from a kit.  Is it much cheaper and can the average skilled shopworker do it.  I dont value ultra accuracy, I want a reliable high cap.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 1:47:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Barrels need to be hand fit to work reliably & shoot accurately. Not a job for a noobie.

Link Posted: 1/2/2006 6:43:20 PM EDT
[#2]
STI and SVI have offered "short blocks" with fitted slide, frame, barrel, slide stop, barrel link.

Then it's up to you for sights, fire control parts, etc.

I built a SVI from a short block in this same way in about 1998.  A friend helped with fitting the ambi safety, grip safety, and hammer/sear (these are NOT drop in parts).

I have at least 20k on this gun, works great, but my buddy had built several guns and knew what the heck he was doing.

You might want to make up an itemized list of what you'd need and the prices  You'll probably find it cheaper to buy a complete gun now, not to mention the cost of replacing ruined hammers, sears, safeties while you learn how to fit them.

Link Posted: 1/2/2006 7:18:04 PM EDT
[#3]
As much fun as it would be to say that you built one, do not discount being able to find a good gun from a gunsmith.  For instance, Brazos Custom has guns for sale all the time and his package deals are great too.

Other good gunsmiths to consider:

Benny Hill at Triangle Shooting Sports
George Smith @ Evolution Gun Works
Dan Bedell at Bedell Custom (through Shooters' Connection)
Irv Stone @ Bar-Sto Precision

There are others, but between these guys you'll do just fine!

SPC Richard A. White, Senior Medic
249th MP Detachment (EACF)
Camp Humphreys, ROK
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 6:21:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks guys.  You talked me out of it.  I was just trying to be cheap

It looks like a factory built 2011 is on my Christmas wish for next Christmas though
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 8:18:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks guys. You talked me out of it. I was just trying to be cheap

It looks like a factory built 2011 is on my Christmas wish for next Christmas though

Smart decision.

Buying cheap often means buying twice.

Buy a factory built STI Eagle or Edge from Dawson or one of the other vendors.  You will smile everytime you shoot it.

If you want to see what these guys can do, go watch a IPSC/USPSA match in person.

www.uspsa.org
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 3:41:48 PM EDT
[#6]
It really is not that much different form building a more traditional 1911.  I have built a few trying to get the most gun for my money (when I was a poor college student).  

Barrel fitting and timing is the most difficult part.

But turning a $12 piece of stainless steel in to one of these is worth it.

Please excuse the Bourbon.

a38337- Did you do that grip your self?  How do you like it?  I have been thinking of doing a grip reduction and undercutting the triggerguard.

Wombat
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 7:20:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Nice looking STI, Wombat.  The GE tuned mags are the only way to go.

The grip was modified by Tony Roupe, IIRC.  Obtained it through Chuck Bradley at Shooters Connection.

a38337- Did you do that grip your self? How do you like it? I have been thinking of doing a grip reduction and undercutting the triggerguard.

Wombat
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top